Subaru WRX Forum banner

squeaking noise on the clutch pedal

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
when i step on the clutch pedal on my 12 wrx it squeaks, does anyone know what it is and to fix it

#2 ·
Theres a few things that can cause squeak. I've heard of a few with small cracks in the firewall causing odd noises. If you start by having someone press the clutch in while you watch the engine bay you might be able to detect the source of your problem.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
My bugeye does this, sometimes worse than others but usually more so when it's very damp/humid/wet. I haven't checked my firewall as arctic stated but this is a common issue with these cars, over the years they made the bulkhead (aka firewall) thinner for many reasons and as a result flex occurs. If you find flex there, there is a bracket made to combat this issue and I hear it's a night/day difference, I think they make one for the brake too.

First I'd check the return spring(s) for corrosion/etc. try using some white lithium grease and working it in. Also if you can get to it check the slave cylinder at the contact point to the shift lever on the tranny as dirt/grim can build up and cause squeaks, loud ones at that. I had to grease this on my yota and almost all the noise was gone.

#4 ·
@RoboTuner,

The brace your talking about is the GrimmSpeed and they are excellent. It really is a night and day difference. You can see the firewall flex when someone is pushing the brakes and flex usually comes with some noise.

Best $100 I ever spent on my 13 but it also took 2 hours to install: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.