Subaru WRX Forum banner

Son wants to buy a WRX.

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
My son has saved his money and has found a 2002 WRX 2.0 turbo here local in Gulfport, MS. However, I know nothing about them, neither does he? I am very mechanically inclined and have built many cars. The current owner of the car says it has a blown head gasket, not a real big deal unless it has a melted piston when the head is pulled.

I just would like advice on what else to look for on these WRX's. Looks like I can pick the car up for $1500, so he has me interested. Thanks in advance for any help. Here is the Craigslist add for the car. Waiting on him to send me the VIN# so I can run it for any hits. Thanks, Chad

2003 Subaru wrx

#2 ·
You sure you want your son owning a WRX?

That 5speed is the only real issue on that model/yr.

Then again, you won't know anything about THAT until it's running again... Or maybe drain the fluid to see if you can get any scrap out of it.

Welcome BTW

#3 ·
So ya, all of those green lights on that car are 100% illegal. I would make a guess by looking at it that it probably wasn't well taken care of.

Due to the age, expect to have to replace a few parts aside from the acknowledged engine work. Head gasket failures are VERY rare on WRXs.

#4 ·
Thank pzr2874. I always told him if he paid for it, he can buy anything he wants..lol Kinda bite me in the butt here. Current owner says it shifted fine, but I don't believe anything from car sellers. He said it blew a head gasket from overboost, but I am gonna do a compression check to see if any pistons may have melted down.

#6 ·
Look for a "BA" in the tranny code for the good tranny. If it says "AA" pass it up. Its on a plate under the hood by or on the driver side shock tower.

And for the love of God get rid of all the green and that wing before I puke:hurl: Anyone who does that to a car can't be trusted.:nono:

#8 ·
Just looked at the car, body is real straight, no dents nothing. interior is 7 of 10, not perfect, but no rips or tears or missing pieces.

Engine has not run since Sept and I can't even try to crank it to see if anything rattles or knocks. Mileage is approx 180K.

Trans is a BA code trans and seller said it has no issues.

VIN# JF1GD296X3G510833 (anyone willing to run this)
Trans# TY75VN2BA

With knowing this info and a possibility of needing a new shortblock(unknown cost here) and missing title !Notfunny!, is this car worth a $1000.00? That's what he will take for it.

And the green headlights are indeed stick on..:)

Thanks,

#10 ·
Just did a Carfax on the car. Come back fine, last registered on 16 Nov 2011 , milage reported on 31 July 2006 at 107,000. 3 owners reported and all history came back "No Issues Reported".

If the car does indeed need a 2.0 shortblock, where is a good spot to get them from? Without spending Cosworth money. My son has a budget of $2500 and that incleudes the price of the car.

#12 ·
You should be able to locate a decent block for 2000.00-3000.00 on NASIOC (maybe a little less) but probably not for the remaining 1500.00 he has to spend.

On top of other stuff like tires, maintainence, etc....

Not a bad "start" at all but will probably take another 2-3K to get it where it should be.

#13 ·
Well $1000. isn't bad considering if you decided in the end to cut your loss and part it out you would possibly make your your money back.

Least ya lucked out with the sticky green stuff and the BA trans. !Thumbs Up

#15 ·
What you're looking at is a $1000 money pit. Your son has probably never broken down on the side of the road or had to explain repeated car trouble as a reason for missing important things. If he's got his heart set on that particular pile of junk and you want to make it work, I would say you should let him buy it with his money and also buy him a used chevy aveo or somesuch. Register the Cheavy with the insurance company, cheaper anyway. Let him save up for parts and do most of the work himself. Learn the hard way what a broken down old sports car is all about. Plus, the Aveo will remind him every time he embarrassingly drives off to buy parts for "his car" what the implications of his decisions are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.