Subaru WRX Forum banner

so i can join the broken tranny club..

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  ikpthegame 
#1 ·
so i was on my way home from the girls house and i went to shift into 2nd and boom. i was pissed and all i had was 3rd. so i had to take off from 3rd to get home and well i fried my clutch. so i was wondering what year gears are the strongest? im going to have the dealer fix it and want them to put the best gears in it. ive brought it to the dealer for tranny issues a few times and they said nothing was wrong with it lol. it kinda sucks this had to happen also cause i just got done putting on my up pipe and dp, oh well time to go take off the dp. so if you can let me know what yeas gears to have put in.

#3 ·
lol thats great. anyways what is the lemon law? this is the third time ive had it there for tranny issues now. the first time they replaced some stuff and then it was worse and the second time they said it was fine even thought it was grinding when shifting. now the third time is for it being broke. so what is the lemon law all about?

#9 ·
Every state has a lemon law, but they do very from state to state. I know in Maryland if you go to the DMV they have information about it. When i bought my 07 in Washington it came with a book telling you about lemon law for the car. If you research it through google Im sure you will find some information about it.

#12 ·
HOW can that be. When you buy a car you get a warranty, bumper to bumper. If it breaks then they have to fix it. There is no way in hell that they can prove it is abuse. Make sure you take off that Dp first. Tell the service manager to go online to this web site and read up on the tranny threads:eek: Dont give up, call SOA if you have to.

#17 ·
ya it wont go back on since the last time they had it they had the DP off and all the bolts were loose and well i really dont have any of them hehe. all the bolts on the DP were loose also. my friend also said it might be my clutch, and i herd the pressure plate go out since the car is acting like it is in gear even when not. so what year gears are the best? lol.

#18 ·
none like i said they all suck nutsack. the 03s are just as weak as the 02s. the newer gears are stronger 1-2 but they break 3rd really easily because of the stupid final drive SOA put on it to get better MPG on the hiway.

i just noticed i almost caught up with mxboy15u in my post count. sweet! ROFL

#19 ·
Yeah, I just joined that club last night. Pulled in my driveway, put it in reverse, CRUNCH bye bye gears. I have no idea what gears are out, but its at the dealer right now and they said the gears are deff. fuc@ed but which ones and how many they dont know yet. And they are also saying that if they detect abuse that my warranty wont cover it. I HAVE ONLY HAD THE CAR FOR 3 WEEKS! Sorry had to vent that , they just piss me off, tryin to get out of it cause they wont make any $ off warranty work. :notgood:

#21 ·
so i had my car towed to the dealer about 1 1/2 weeks ago and they never looked at it till 2 days ago. i had to wait that long and since it just sat out in the open at the back of the lot someone broke into my car and tried to steal it. so now my door on the outside has a bunch of metal damage and my ignition switch is done for. also they cliped my batt cables. Oh but it gets better, after that they finaly looked at my car, i was told it would take them 6 hrs to take the tranny out and look at it and thats messed up. so they call me and say i need 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and say they wont cover it. then they tell me its going to be $4000 to rebuild it and $5000 for a new one. now that seems just a wee but to high since that dont include the clutch i still need. well ive called SOA and they are having someone look into it since this dealer is a pile of poop. if anyone here from minnesota reads this never bring your car to brooklynn park subaru. anyways where can i buy gear sets from?

#22 ·
go with some ra gearsets if money is a factor...but if your gonna spend 5 g's on a tranny just go with a ppg set up and never have to worry about breaking your tranny ever again....the ra's are a little stronger i believe but have longer ratios (correct me if im wrong)

#23 ·
with the 02 and 03 wrx's for some reason you can bend the shift fork very easily especialy when you are going into reverse. its just how it is and the way the gears are set up. i know at least three people that has had that happen to them and im one of them, it happened to me within the first 24 hours of having my car but it was covered under warranty

#25 ·
ask 'em what the labor will run to put it together if you provide the gears and synchros. RA Gears and synchros will run you $1700-$2000, depending on where you get them from, but be ready for a good long wait, usually takes 2-3 months to get a hold of a set (get shipped from Japan, get Chryo treated, then there's people in line before you, and they only get a few at a time). Best pricing I've seen is www.gruppe-s.com, that's where I got mine from. With the RA gearset, First is taller, making it more usable, and 2nd through 5th are shorter. You can get a stock 5th gear ratio if you do a good bit of highway driving, otherwise, with the shorter gear, you'll always be in the boost a little bit at highway speed, less MPG, but much quicker response as well :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.