slipping clutch? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
slipping clutch?

so i was driving through my friends yard, got stuck, tried rocking it back and forth but got nowhere. finally got out, let it cool down for a little while i checked everything over then i took them for a ride in it ### they had never been. did a launch and first gear was fine, then shifted to second and felt it slipping. then got a strong whiff of burnt clutch. could this be a destroyed clutch and need to be replaced, or something that could happen just because it got so hot, and maybe will be fine once it cools down? after i shifted from second to third it didn't do it, or at least as noticeable. it also didn't slip when i was cruising and then got on it in the same gear. i did this because on my dirt bikes, when the clutch is bad, it will slip in every gear when you get on it, without shifting. any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'm not well versed in transmissions, but if a clutch is slipping, it should be slipping in every gear, not just one. Sounds more like a 2nd gear problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Could've been a temporary hot spot

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Xtim8719X is an unknown
To check your clutch, get on the interstate or a long stretch of road where you can get into 5th gear. Start off around 2k rpm and floorboard it and leave it down until the turbo is spooled and you are a bit over 3-3.5k rpm. If the clutch is bad it will slip as soon as the car hits max torque (close to 3k). The clutch will slip in higher gears before it will slip in lower gears.

I see you live in Ohio, I'm in WV, and lately my clutch has been slipping when it's extremely cold outside. I know that doesn't make sense but when it's below zero mine slips, warmer temps of 20-30 degrees it doesn't slip.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Lolin Mazel is an unknown
Make sure the clutch is properly adjusted: You should feel about 1/2 inch of free play (or slack) at the clutch pedal when you first put your foot lightly on the clutch pedal.

www.carobd2shop.com