Subaru WRX Forum banner

Short Throw Shifter

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
I am new to the forums. I have 2015 WRX, and I was hoping to get any suggestions to what short throw shifter I should get?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums,

There are 3 styles of short throws

1. OEM/Factory short throw/SPT - its just a bit shorter than stock, it uses the same soft bushings and is a little bit more forgiving than the other options.

2. Fully adjustable ie Cobb, with lots of adjustment points you have a greater level of control, Lots of guys pair them with Cobb bushings for a tighter feel. The downside is that harder bushings will transmit more transmission noise and vibration into the cabin.

3. Short but non- adjustable ie kartboys. Shorter than the OEM short throw and made of a single piece of metal. not adjustable but they feel great to most drivers. They are the most cost effective option.

I have the factory installed short throw and I think its great. It is a nice blend between being short and fast and being up high enough that I can easily left hand shift when I'm driving with my fiance ( she likes to hold my right hand ). Next time I get it up on a lift I plan to install the Cobb bushings just to tighten it up a bit. Other than the bushings being soft I enjoy it quite a bit.

#6 ·
I have the factory installed short throw and I think its great. It is a nice blend between being short and fast and being up high enough that I can easily left hand shift when I'm driving with my fiance ( she likes to hold my right hand ).
If she's holding your right hand and you are shifting with your left, what hand is on the wheel?:eek: I try not to play twister in my car. I won't even let my girl adjust the stereo while I'm driving. I do miss the days when I was borrowing my Dad's 77 Dodge Aspen Auto on the tree and bench seats. Damn kids with their multitasking. You're gonna' kill us all!:D

#7 ·
The 15WRX has the new 6 speed in it. It is cable driven, so the typical cobb and kart boy options dont work. SPT makes a short through for it and perrin makes a bushing to put in there as well. Bomba makes a shifter that replaces the shaft much like the older versions, it just works with the 15wrx. Its a whole new setup. I had a customer buy one last week and we both have been looking for the best option. Kartboy says it in development but not ready yet!

#8 ·
Yikes,

thats good to know, Thanks epic.

As for left handed shifting I believe it was Einstein who said - "any man that can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is not giving the kiss the attention it deserves". Thats why we just hold hands : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.