Subaru WRX Forum banner

Salvage title

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  STi_from_DSM 
#1 ·
So in looking into buying an 06 wrx limited 100k miles on it. Stock looks excllent inside and out. Was rear ended last year by previous owner has since been fixed by new owners who happen to be private dealers. Work looks good and no frame damage can't tell it was ever in an accident. What would you guys pay for it? He has it listed at 11k Im think more like 8k is that still too much? Also has new clutch and timing belt water pump

#2 ·
Timing belt and pump are good signs, they are part of the 90k service if im not mistaken. Ive owned a few cars with salvage titles and ive had pretty good luck. DO your research and see if you cant find out what was done to the vehicle, most of the time insurance comapnies wont total out a car without some really substantial damage so you wont see a salage title without the car being deemed a total loss.

11k is very expensive for a 06 with 100k miles. blue book is 11 if the car is in great shape. realistically the price should be 25% under blue book with a salvage title. I would open with an offer for 7k if you test drive it and everything feels good.

A word to the wise, when you test drive it try to keep from grinning ear to ear. Its very hard to negotiate when they can see you are in love with the car : )

#4 ·
I have never had any luck with salvage title cars. If you can find out what shop did the work then you may have some luck.
As stated above, check out the body work on the back end. Make sure the car is clean so you can check for dings, scratches, etc. See if any fluid is leaking under the car when you pull out. Around that timeframe you should probably have replaced the alternator as well as done the 90-100k mile maintenance as stated above.
Make sure the car doesn't pull to one side or another as that could be an alignment issue.
I think 11k is high. If it wasn't a salvage I would say 10k would be a good start, but I would offer 8k and see what happens if everything checks out.
Be sure if the car has been modded at all to make sure it at least has the supporting mods for that upgrade. At the very least something like COBB Access Port.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.