Running no muffler...will it harm the car? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

ryan02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ryan02wrx
Running no muffler...will it harm the car?

Hey guys lame question i know. But i took my muffler off my car to hear it and see how it sounds. and i decided to leave it off for a while. i was just wondering if that will cause problems with my car or not. If someone could let me know that would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just changes the sound, might get you noticed by the police a little more quickly. I remember being behind an STI once who didnt have a muffler, couldnt figure out what was "wrong" with the car for almost 2 miles.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
typically for an n/a car you will lose a little low end torque but it will breathe easier in the higher rpms.

for turbos its not as much an issue, but you may lose a little bit of low end before the turbo spools up. otherwise you will probably rev out quicker, or even pick up a point or two for mpg on the highway
#4 Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Yeah for turbos its fine like newtothegame said just watch out for the police.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#5 Old 03-28-2008, 10:16 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Turbo cars don't need backpressure. The exhaust is to keep it legal, not for any mechanical reason.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
yeah, same with like straight-piping a car, we straight-piped our buddies Scion tC a while back and we notice a huge difference in bottom end torque, but a nice gain up top... Taking out the muffler will be like a fart can that is even less restrictive. A "cofee can" is good for things like Honda's, with top end power, because they are straight-through, with a fart can on a car, you will lose some bottom end, and gain a little top-end. Without a muffler, it takes out all that backpressure, so yeah,, it will lag maybe a little, but in the end, you'll have yourself a nice loud roaring car

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#7 Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Garage
A tC is a normally aspirated car. It's totally ####ing different. Turbo cars don't need backpressure and don't see changes in high end vs low end like that. I remember explaining this to you already...

#8 Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
you could be nicer when you correct people, Mosc.
jeez.
#9 Old 03-28-2008, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesFox View Post
typically for an n/a car you will lose a little low end torque but it will breathe easier in the higher rpms.

for turbos its not as much an issue, but you may lose a little bit of low end before the turbo spools up. otherwise you will probably rev out quicker, or even pick up a point or two for mpg on the highway
well i knew that already, all i did was basically repeat what MilesFox said, i just listed an example that the tC lost a lot of backpressure and a lot of torque. With the turbo-car, it has to make at least a little difference, i didn't say it was as much as an N/A car though

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#10 Old 03-28-2008, 02:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
you could be nicer when you correct people, Mosc.
jeez.
You're right. From now on any person I correct gets a free e-cookie and a supportive pat on the back.

#11 Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
you know im just ####in around with you.
#12 Old 03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Subeast until you get your car and start messing with it I think Mosc and everyone else is going to question any advice you give. Sorry just a fact of life. Back on topic though the muffler off will get you noticed rather quickly especially when you accellerate. I had mine off for a while until I got tired of having to baby it any where I thought po po was. That and the 165 dollar ticket didn't help much. I would suggest gettin some sort of muffler back on soon though easier on the pocket book.

Last edited by suddenthomas; 03-28-2008 at 08:26 PM.
#13 Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxnfx is an unknown
subeast, these arent the wrxs you play in video games. i understand why mosc is getting frustrated. u dont even have your scooby yet so your advice comes from drifting a 85hp toyota and your buddies tc. sound to me lie you should be on some kind of TRD forum. back to the no muffler question. it wont harm your car at all just the o zone
#14 Old 03-29-2008, 02:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

"sub"erman is an unknown
If you're looking for the sound and performance, but want to avoid unwanted attention, I would suggest getting yourself a cutout to throw in line with the exhaust. You can have it closed and nice and quiet when you're in the presence of the 5-Os, but once you get out in the open just hit the switch and an electronic cutout will free up those exhaust gases and you'll be screaming in no time at all.

What exactly are your intentions for doing the no-muffler mod? If you're looking for some extra noise, throw a decent cat-back on there and you'll get the same effect except you won't have to worry about the cops. If you're looking for the performance aspect, do the right thing and get some engine management and/or a turbo-back exhaust.

All hale the powerful and wise elders!!
#15 Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

SamB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
yeah, same with like straight-piping a car, we straight-piped our buddies Scion tC a while back and we notice a huge difference in bottom end torque, but a nice gain up top... Taking out the muffler will be like a fart can that is even less restrictive. A "cofee can" is good for things like Honda's, with top end power, because they are straight-through, with a fart can on a car, you will lose some bottom end, and gain a little top-end. Without a muffler, it takes out all that backpressure, so yeah,, it will lag maybe a little, but in the end, you'll have yourself a nice loud roaring car
You're going to lose lag if you get rid of back pressure.