RPM at highway cruising speeds - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sleepr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-01-2013, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

meeshu is an unknown
RPM at highway cruising speeds

Hello guys, I am strongly considering buying a new 2013 wrx. It is going to be my only car for several years to come. I test drove it two times already and really liked it, however there is one thing that I am concerned about and couldn't cover in the test drive: How much is the engine RPM at highway cruising speeds in 5th gear?

Some googling suggests that it is ~2700@65MPH in 5th gear. Is this accurate? Some reviewers said that this becomes "irritating" after a while. Does it leave you wanting a 6th gear?

I will be doing a lot of freeway driving so this is important for me. Please share your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Some reviewers must secretly desire an American car with a 5 speed automatic where the overdrive is made to pump up EPA gas mileage stats.

In all seriousness though, it is not bad. In my opinion, if the rpms are less than that you won't be able to maneuver out of dangerous situations very well (using the accelerator) on a 3-6 lane (in one direction) freeway.

To be honest with you, if I'm doing only 65mph on freeways in LA then I am still in 4th gear because my engine feels "happier" at a cruising rpm higher than 3k. Granted, I'm referring to a 2.0L so maybe some others can chime in with their experiences with a 2.5L engine.

Finally, I think it is a good car for driving the streets and freeways in LA, especially with the elevation changes that happen throughout the greater metropolitan area and surrounding mountains.
meeshu likes this.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#3 Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

meeshu is an unknown
I just went for another test drive and drove at length at 65-70mph. I was pleased to find that the car was perfectly quiet and not at all "irritating" at those speeds. I totally agree with your observations above.

Looks like I will be a proud wrx owner by next week

Thanks for the reply.
#4 Old 06-02-2013, 06:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Glad I could be of some help to you!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#5 Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
3,000 rpm at 120 kph (75 mph) in both my old '09 STi (2.5L) and now '04 WRX (2.0L). This is with stock wheel diameters.

Both engines seems relaxed at that rpm,and already have enough boost if you need to bury the throttle to pass. Below 100 kph (62 mph) I'd drop to 4th for any passing maneouver.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return