Royal Purple, Good or bad for 04 Wrx - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
+1 to using synthetic and changing it regularly. It is more important to have clean/fresh oil and the right amount of oil, then the brand.

I use Royal Purple 10w30 (per my engine builder/tuner's instructions) and have had good results (knock on wood). I just change it regularly, about every 3500-4000 miles and always use a new Puraltor One filter. Since I have an oil pressure gauge I always keep a close eye on my oil pressure and make sure to warm the car up (drive easy/stay out of boost) until the engine temps warm up properly.

Additionally, I also clean my MAF once a year or so (whether it is really dirty or not) and clean/change my air filter every 15-20K miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
Thanks to all for your input. For the noise that i hear, I realized that it only makes the noise when am holding the gas over 3000 rpms. When I get on it a little more it stops, but when I let it go it makes the noise again. not to sure whats up.
#33 Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Been able to look into this anymore yet?
#34 Old 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
Ok so the noise is only when I let off the gas pedal over 3000 rpms. What is this from? Also this is my first Subura or turbo and I heard that they both just have noises that they make. I also get a little valve nock when I rev it. Is this common?
#35 Old 02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoawag04 View Post
Ok so the noise is only when I let off the gas pedal over 3000 rpms. What is this from? Also this is my first Subura or turbo and I heard that they both just have noises that they make. I also get a little valve nock when I rev it. Is this common?
I don't think a shuddering like you are describing is very normal.

As for the valves, seeing as your car has over 100,000 miles, I would recommend at least getting in the head and inspecting your valves, seats, guides etc... if you haven't already just to make sure everything is in good working order.