Royal Purple, Good or bad for 04 Wrx - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoawag04 View Post
Hey thanks a lot guys for the replys, I just bought my Wrx a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I am a very picky person when it comes to my cars and what goes into them. I also have a engine chatter when I shift over 3000 rpms. I want to say it is just a heat shield vibrating when I reach that hi of a rpm, but I really can't say for sure cause I have never owned a new car like this. I have always had classic cars. Any ideas? It comes from the engine compartment right in front of the driver side fire wall.
Just a few tests to try... Does the noise happen only happen when you are in gear and moving? Or does it happen any time you go over 3000 rpm including in neutral? If it happens any time, you could try popping your hood and pulling on the throttle cable (car in neutral) and try to pinpoint the noise that way. If it happens only when you are shifting, can you feel vibrations in your shifter when this happens? If so it could be anything from the clutch to the flywheel or transmission.

How many miles are there on your car/transmission/clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-13-2010, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
It only makes the noise when I shift at and above 3000 rpm. No noise at all when I shift before that mark.
#18 Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
115000 on all from what I know, I bought it from a car lot.
#19 Old 02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

WTRacing is more helpful than not
is the noise dependant on the clutch and not so much the shift? if so you could have a bad throwout bearing!!!
#20 Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Is it a squeaking noise, or a shuddering type noise?
#21 Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
it is more of a shuddering noise. It only does it when I give it gas over 3000 rpms. If I let off the gas above 3000 it stops I believe. could it be because i have 10w 30 instead of 5w 30 like it is supposed to? Sorry I'm horrible at describing what it sounds like. It even kind sounds like a rod hitting. Like as if I don't have enough oil or something. And yes I do have enough oil
#22 Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Castrol GTX. You guys spend way too much money on oil ffs.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#23 Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoawag04 View Post
could it be because i have 10w 30 instead of 5w 30 like it is supposed to?
As to this, No. Especially with you living in texas. a 10W-30 oil would be fine where you live. (I am of course assuming that the temperature rarely ever drops below 0 degrees.)

The only oil related problem I could think of with that would be if the previous owner was using a full synthetic oil, and you are using a non-synthetic blend. And the only problem in doing this, is it could cause leaks. (It was a lot more of a problem to do this a while back.) So if your car isn't leaking, I don't think your problem has anything to do with the oil that is in it.

On a side note, does it make the noise when you are in any gear over 3000 rpm, or just high gears?

One thing you could try (some people don't recommend it, but I have never run into a problem, it is up to you if you choose to) On your next oil change run to your nearest gas station and pick up like 15 cents of diesel fuel (you don't need much more than a cup full). with your car cold, pour the diesel fuel into the oil. Run your car at idle for about 5 minutes ( the diesel fuel acts like a cleaning agent and breaks up anything that may be clogged.) then just shut the car off and drain your oil (be careful with pan ready! It tends to shoot out at an odd angle)

This is the process that we go through when we are going to be going into the head and interiors of the engine and it works great, it may help clean up your engine and eliminate oil as your problem.
#24 Old 02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnewB View Post
So if your car isn't leaking, I don't think your problem has anything to do with the oil that is in it.
unless it is clogged somewhere
#25 Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
where do u guys get the oil analysis done?
#26 Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^^ Blackstonelabs.com

Mosc... you are hilarious.....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#27 Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Mosc... you are hilarious.....
Last time I checked, my engine hasn't exploded yet. I must not be a complete moron. I mean, they do come with standard oil from the factory and Subaru has been selling the WRX here for almost 9 years at this point. Synthetic is overrated.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#28 Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not hilarious in a bad sense.... You've just said that since day one is all.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#29 Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
Here's my 2 cents. Use whatever you like. Just make sure you change it regulary and on time. I use synthetic but I can also agree with Mosc. I dont think its nessecary to worry about oil brands that much as long as regularly maintained.

Last edited by allvolwrx; 02-19-2010 at 05:38 AM.
#30 Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Agreed. However, since I switched to synthetic, I have to keep using it and I'm happy that Royal Purple is somewhat-not-too-insanely-high priced (~$8/qt.)

...and my engine hasn't exploded yet either

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)