Royal Purple, Good or bad for 04 Wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
Royal Purple, Good or bad for 04 Wrx

I was told by a fellow 04 Wrx driver that Royal Purple Motor oil is a bad idea for these engines. This guy told me that he blew up his engine running the purple stuff and he will never use it again. My argue was how do you know it was the oil and not your driving skills. I get the royal purple for free from the reps here in Austin and put it in and it makes me a little worried about his story. Should I be worried and what is the best oil to run? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2010, 04:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've run royal purple for about 5k now. He either used way to heavy of an oil or just blew up his motor being an idiot and blamed it on an oil. If you're running the proper 5w-30, royal purple is just fine, and blaming a blown engine on the oil in it is ludicrous.

-Chris
#3 Old 02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I doubt its the Royal Purple. What people say is the best oil, is mostly a opinion. But, there are a couple different types of synthetic oils. I found Manshow's break down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Here's some relevant information I found on another forum:

There are several different types of synthetic oil and the base stock is what differentates them.

The best base stock is Polyol-ester (Redline & Motul)

Next best is Di-ester (Royal Purple, Amsoil, Neo)

Next is Polyolefin polyamine (Mobil 1)

Next is Hydrocracked (Syntec, Valvoline)

And finally, regular dyno oils.
Thanks Manshow

From what a trusted member of the forum wagonracer said. AMSoil Full Synthetic, Shell Rotella T, and Valvoline VR-1 also have zinc in them. Which the zinc helps the bearings in the motor.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Right on!

I've been using Royal Purple 5w30 in my 07 WRX from 21,000 to 45,000+ miles (present).

Before that, I used Redline 5w30 (from 3,000 to 21,000) - not that that matters.

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

WTRacing is more helpful than not
Heres some info on Royal Purple:eek:

Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple
By George Gill

Royal Purple Ltd. was black and blue after BP Lubricants USA took it to task over advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, finding a receptive audience in the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum.

The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus recommended Porter, Texas-based Royal Purple modify or discontinue numerous advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, following a challenge by Wayne, N.J.-based BP Lubricants. The NAD examined comparative performance and superiority claims in print, broadcast and Internet advertising. In some of the advertising, Royal Purple compared its performance to Castrol, Shell, Amsoil and other motor oil brands.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue its use of consumer testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability.

“Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, including claims related to horsepower, torque, fuel economy or engine heat,” the organization stated. “While the advertiser may quote from published articles if it provides clear and conspicuous attribution to the publisher, it may not rely on such articles to support efficacy claims for which it has no reliable independent validation.”

NAD recommended Royal Purple discontinue claims such as “Increases horsepower and torque by as much as 3 percent,” “Reduces Engine Wear by 80 percent,” “Superior Oxidation Stability” and “Provides Film Strength Up to 400 Percent.”

“If industry-standard tests or tests with carefully documented controls were abandoned, there would be no basis whatsoever for making any meaningful claims about the relative efficacy of motor oils,” BP said in its challenge.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue claims that stated, “Improves fuel economy by as much as 5 percent” and “Fuel economy improvement up to 5 percent or more” because its Environmental Protection Agency testing was inconclusive and the “Oklahoma State Study” and single cylinder Labeco CLR diesel engine testing cited in Royal Purple’s advertising was not relevant. The NAD noted the 1997 OSU Study was “outdated and nothing in the record demonstrated that the formulations of the competitors’ oils were similar to those available for sale on the market today.”

BP Lubricants said it hired the independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute, in San Antonio, to analyze power output of gasoline engines with Royal Purple Oil and with BP’s Castrol oil for comparisons. “The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,” NAD stated. “The challenger’s [BP’s] expert determined a 0.9 percent difference in power between the oils, which did not rise to the level of statistical significance, and is well below the 3 percent claim made by the advertiser.”

SwRI did additional tests to independently determine the differences in fuel economy, emissions data and engine temperature between Royal Purple and Castrol motor oils. According to SwRI, “there was no statistically significant difference between the fuel economy, emissions data or engine temperature between the two candidate oils,” NAD said.

Following its review of the non-anecdotal evidence in the record, NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue the claims, “Reduces emissions up to 20 percent or more” and “Reductions in emissions of 20 percent or more” because the studies on which the claims were based were outdated and not consumer-relevant.

NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

The American Petroleum Institute licenses its trademarked Service Symbol, or ‘donut,’ for display on qualified engine oils, and also licenses the ILSAC ‘starburst’ logo for oils that meet the auto industry’s latest energy-conserving standards. In API’s online directory of licensees for its Engine Oil Licensing and Certification Program, Royal Purple has a total of 23 passenger car and diesel engine oil products listed, all licensed to use the API donut. Five of these may additionally display the words ‘energy conserving’ within the donut logo, but none of the Royal Purple products are licensable to the current ILSAC GF-4 specification and they cannot display the starburst logo.

Royal Purple also voluntarily agreed to discontinue the claims, “most advanced,” “unsurpassed performance” and “unparalleled performance,” steps the NAD said were necessary and proper to avoid confusion in the marketplace.

“While Royal Purple also believes that the tests and testimonials it supplied as evidence accurately portray the benefits of using its synthetic oil in a wide variety of applications, it defers to the NAD’s position that those tests and testimonials alone are insufficient to support specific performance attribute claims in consumer advertising,” the company said in its response to NAD. “... [Royal Purple] has already made changes to its advertising in accordance with the NAD recommendations and will continue to implement NAD’s recommendations and analysis in developing Royal Purple’s future advertising.”

BP Lubricants did not return phone calls from Lube Report requesting comment on NAD’s decision.

Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

Royal Purple
#6 Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

I never liked RP anyway i used it and had an oil analysis done at 3k miles and was not happy with the results.

Mobil 1 is only 30% synthetic but since the way they classify oil it can be labeled as full synthetic and that came from a Mobil Engineer

IMHO Amsoil all the way I run it in my 04 Wrx change it every 7k miles and i drove it like i stole it everyday. Ive had Oil Analysis done at 7k miles and it still came back with no problems.... In my 00 Nissan Frontier I also run Amsoil and i change it every 25k Miles I am just about to hit the 300K Mark and still running strong and I i beat the piss out of that truck every weekend offroading..

I have run just about every oil on the market there is a lot of great oils out there but overall i have been 100% happy with the results of amsoil and i cant say that about the rest.
#7 Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Why run anything but Rotella T or Penzoil Platinum

Blackstone loved me for sending them in Rotella T oil from my 07wrx....

You run amsoil for 25,000 miles ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Why run anything but Rotella T or Penzoil Platinum

Blackstone loved me for sending them in Rotella T oil from my 07wrx....

You run amsoil for 25,000 miles ?
yeah the service life of amsoil is 25k miles if used with a amsoil synthetic filter and i have sampled oil at 25k and was very pleased with the results

also i should note not all amsoil is good for 25k miles
#9 Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wonder if real heat does anything to it ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Wonder if real heat does anything to it ?
if you asking about the amsoil it holds up very good under hi heat conditions. i use to maintain a fleet of cop cars, with amsoil we would change the filter and add about 1 quart to replace what was left in the filter every other month and every 6 months we would do a complete oil change and we never had one engine failure.... the typical cop car would run for about 500 hours per month and that translates into about 6-7k miles a month, and i have never seen a cop that didn't beat the shit out of his car.

when we first took over the fleet they were running some cars on conventional oil and some on mobil 1 every car had some kind of internal engine failure in about a year of service as the engines would fail we would replace them and break the new engines in for about a month on conventional oil then switch to Amsoil, also with any new vehicles they got we would do the same. For the 7 years that we maintained the fleet they did not have any engine problems. We also used Amsoil in the trannys and rears and i have only seen a hand full break and they were all from being floored in reverse and slamin it right into Drive,
#11 Old 02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post

Thanks Manshow

From what a trusted member of the forum wagonracer said. AMSoil Full Synthetic, Shell Rotella T, and Valvoline VR-1 also have zinc in them. Which the zinc helps the bearings in the motor.
Yeah Manshow knows his stuff alright, zinc is really good for the bearings in engines and turbos. I use VR1 10w-30 and that stuff is great! It's just bit pricy.
#12 Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It seems to me that almost every oil company gets both good and bad press in one way or another. Everybody has a favorite oil based on "performance," cost, or any number of other reasons. That article seemed to mainly attack Royal Purple's advertising - not the actual properties of the lubricant. I still believe Royal Purple is pretty good stuff - at least better than regular dyno oil. I'm also happy that I can find it locally and at a semi-reasonable price. This thread might actually prompt me to do a little research... possibly more to come.

John
07 WRX
#13 Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
another ??

Hey thanks a lot guys for the replys, I just bought my Wrx a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I am a very picky person when it comes to my cars and what goes into them. I also have a engine chatter when I shift over 3000 rpms. I want to say it is just a heat shield vibrating when I reach that hi of a rpm, but I really can't say for sure cause I have never owned a new car like this. I have always had classic cars. Any ideas? It comes from the engine compartment right in front of the driver side fire wall.
#14 Old 02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
It seems to me that almost every oil company gets both good and bad press in one way or another. Everybody has a favorite oil based on "performance," cost, or any number of other reasons. That article seemed to mainly attack Royal Purple's advertising - not the actual properties of the lubricant. I still believe Royal Purple is pretty good stuff - at least better than regular dyno oil. I'm also happy that I can find it locally and at a semi-reasonable price. This thread might actually prompt me to do a little research... possibly more to come.
I Agree they are all looking to bash their competitor any chance they get.

but in the case with RP they also claimed that they beat other oils in certain tests but when the test were done by independent labs the tests did not show the same results as what RP got..and RP was using out dated tests that are no longer used
#15 Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoawag04 View Post
Hey thanks a lot guys for the replys, I just bought my Wrx a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I am a very picky person when it comes to my cars and what goes into them. I also have a engine chatter when I shift over 3000 rpms. I want to say it is just a heat shield vibrating when I reach that hi of a rpm, but I really can't say for sure cause I have never owned a new car like this. I have always had classic cars. Any ideas? It comes from the engine compartment right in front of the driver side fire wall.
there are no exhausts or heat shields that would make any noise that i can think of on the driver side..can you get it to make noise with the hood up fre revving to 3k rpm then maybe you can pinpoint it a little better...