1Likes
  • 1 Post By Streetsahead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-04-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Streetsahead is an unknown
Returning from 6 year break

Hello to the community!

This site used to be my old stomping grounds, but I couldn't get into my old account, and the email associated with it is long gone. My old username here was Chase.

I think it's been about 6 years, maybe less since I've been around. I did some writeups back in the day , a 6 speed swap into my 07 wagon and a hybrid engine rebuild thread, both projects done with my own hands.

My last wrx, the wagon mentioned above, which was a beautiful custom orange corvette colored machine with an fp green turbo and a 6 speed swap, was sold about 4 years ago to pay off credit cards. I knew that would be the end of my subie days for a while.

What have I been doing with my time? Remodeling a 1941 home.
Marriage.
A 3 week old baby, our first
Started a contracting business.
Had a 2013 v6 300 hp Mustang, hated it

So here we are. We own 1 car, my wife's 2013 RT Charger AWD model we purchased new 4 years ago, that I love. And my work van. Another car is needed to shuttle the little one around, and I should be taking delivery of a fairly low mile 2007 WRX TR next week. (80k miles, well taken care of, but needs a new front bumper after a fence incident, $6000)

So, aside from saying hello to the community, I thought I'd lob you some softball questions because I don't have the info in my memory banks anymore

Doing the standard vf39 upgrade to an 07 tr, what is needed? I'll probably just grab an ap and do an ots tune for now, but I don't remember if the injectors are sized adequately in the 07 to handle the vf39, or the intercooler, or the fuel pump honestly lol. So, which parts are needed for this application?

Hope to see some old names pop up around here, and Im excited to meet the new ones. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-04-2016, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
I have an 08 and it runs the 2.5 block too. The injectors are the blue ones and they pump more fuel than earlier years (before 06) so you should be fine on yours too. You should have the same injectors as mine.

Although according to the thread below, your fuel pump is 145lph and mine is 155lph. But that's still a lot more than previous years at 130lph.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1218460

Mine has a completely different intake manifold layout than yours tho so mine required completely custom work (I didn't want to go FMIC so I built a WAIC setup). If your turbo has the round compressor outlet like the VF39, I do believe you're golden. Maybe someone else will chime in.

With a conservative tune I don't believe you need any upgrades at all besides the turbo. Otherwise may look into an STI or aftermarket intercooler but that's about it.

BTW, I sent you a PM, I'm also in WA.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2016, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsahead View Post
Hello to the community!

This site used to be my old stomping grounds, but I couldn't get into my old account, and the email associated with it is long gone. My old username here was Chase.

I think it's been about 6 years, maybe less since I've been around. I did some writeups back in the day , a 6 speed swap into my 07 wagon and a hybrid engine rebuild thread, both projects done with my own hands.

My last wrx, the wagon mentioned above, which was a beautiful custom orange corvette colored machine with an fp green turbo and a 6 speed swap, was sold about 4 years ago to pay off credit cards. I knew that would be the end of my subie days for a while.

What have I been doing with my time? Remodeling a 1941 home.
Marriage.
A 3 week old baby, our first
Started a contracting business.
Had a 2013 v6 300 hp Mustang, hated it

So here we are. We own 1 car, my wife's 2013 RT Charger AWD model we purchased new 4 years ago, that I love. And my work van. Another car is needed to shuttle the little one around, and I should be taking delivery of a fairly low mile 2007 WRX TR next week. (80k miles, well taken care of, but needs a new front bumper after a fence incident, $6000)

So, aside from saying hello to the community, I thought I'd lob you some softball questions because I don't have the info in my memory banks anymore

Doing the standard vf39 upgrade to an 07 tr, what is needed? I'll probably just grab an ap and do an ots tune for now, but I don't remember if the injectors are sized adequately in the 07 to handle the vf39, or the intercooler, or the fuel pump honestly lol. So, which parts are needed for this application?

Hope to see some old names pop up around here, and Im excited to meet the new ones. Thanks for the help.
Hey buddy!!

07 OE injectors are plenty big enough to handle the VF39 (They're roughly equivalent to STi injectors). You should look into at least an STi intercooler (Look for the JDM they're larger than USDM). Grab a turbo back, intercooler, and the AP and you're good to go!

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
13 Abarth 500 - Stockish
- Matt
post #4 of 14 Old 11-06-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hey Matt! I remember you from a few years Back, thanks for the info

Ruso, thanks for the welcome and the info. I'm in southern WA, directly above portland. But. I'd be down for a meet, child and business allowing.

Man, the price of accessports hasn't changed. From what I'm seeing, no parts have dropped in price lol. People are asking every penny I used to pay for a good vf39

Man, after owning an 02 and a couple 04's, the 07 looks like a walk in the park. Injectors are solid, pump, and iirc the up pipe after 05? Even comes uncatted, or with a better cat that was safer for your turbo.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

RogueMantis is an unknown
Garage
You are correct.
06+ ditched the up-pipe cat

06 WRX - Cobb Stage 2
post #6 of 14 Old 11-06-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMantis View Post
You are correct.
06+ ditched the up-pipe cat
Thanks for the confirmation
post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
I have an 08 and it runs the 2.5 block too. The injectors are the blue ones and they pump more fuel than earlier years (before 06) so you should be fine on yours too. You should have the same injectors as mine.

Mine has a completely different intake manifold layout than yours tho so mine required completely custom work (I didn't want to go FMIC so I built a WAIC setup). If your turbo has the round compressor outlet like the VF39, I do believe you're golden. Maybe someone else will chime in.

With a conservative tune I don't believe you need any upgrades at all besides the turbo. Otherwise may look into an STI or aftermarket intercooler but that's about it.

BTW, I sent you a PM, I'm also in WA.
Thanks for the info, btw i guess i can only pm mods until i hit 15 posts lol, sorry i can't reply to you yet. Extra irritating since i had about 1000 posts on my old user

But again, I'm in southern WA right above Portland, I'd be happy to come to a meet in the spring
post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Hey buddy!!

07 OE injectors are plenty big enough to handle the VF39 (They're roughly equivalent to STi injectors). You should look into at least an STi intercooler (Look for the JDM they're larger than USDM). Grab a turbo back, intercooler, and the AP and you're good to go!
Hey bud,

Again, I can't pm you yet. I'm definitely interested, please do send some pics.
Any chance you have the telegram app on your phone? We could communicate there. Otherwise just pm me and give me another form of contact. Thanks!
post #9 of 14 Old 11-07-2016, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsahead View Post
hey bud,

again, i can't pm you yet. I'm definitely interested, please do send some pics.
Any chance you have the telegram app on your phone? We could communicate there. Otherwise just pm me and give me another form of contact. Thanks!
ygapm

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
13 Abarth 500 - Stockish
- Matt
post #10 of 14 Old 11-10-2016, 01:27 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
This is hilarious...I was just going to post something similar to this! I haven't posted anything on here in at least 5 years but this winter I am pulling the old girl in the garage to rebuild the motor and get it re-painted and may need you guys! I'm not a Mechanic anymore and haven't really worked on my car in 5 years, other than maintenance items, and have forgotten a few things!

In the next few weeks or so I will update my profile and pictures.

Anyway, its good to know there are still some people on here from when I was a pretty active poster. Looking forward to re-connecting with some of you!

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #11 of 14 Old 11-10-2016, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
nagyhead, I just finished building my motor and putting it in today. Great timing! :-D
post #12 of 14 Old 11-12-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyhead View Post
This is hilarious...I was just going to post something similar to this! I haven't posted anything on here in at least 5 years but this winter I am pulling the old girl in the garage to rebuild the motor and get it re-painted and may need you guys! I'm not a Mechanic anymore and haven't really worked on my car in 5 years, other than maintenance items, and have forgotten a few things!

In the next few weeks or so I will update my profile and pictures.

Anyway, its good to know there are still some people on here from when I was a pretty active poster. Looking forward to re-connecting with some of you!
Nagy!

Dude what a crazy coincidence!

I'd say let's show these new kids how it's done, except we've forgotten everything and they need to show us how it's done lol.
basco likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-17-2016, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Welcome back! Always good to see some familiar "faces" again!

Matt
Stroked and stoked!
post #14 of 14 Old 11-26-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Finally picked up the car.

It's got a pretty ghetto vinyl hood wrap and the previous owner painted the scoop and grills red...so that's gotta go. Guy hit a fence abs damaged the front bumper so I gotta replace that.

Otherwise I love having a wrx again! Will post pictures once I get her cleaned up!