respectable hp gains?? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
300 wtq? On a TD04?

On the OTS map: 220-230 whp 220-230 wtq.

There are 9 tuners within a 2-4 hr drive of him. I'd recommend he pick one of those places over an e-tune.
2.5L should be pretty close

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Here's my dyno graph with a td04. I also asked for a safe conservative tune. It is a virtual dyno but research tells me they are surprisingly close if you enter all data correct.
Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#18 Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Again I never had that issue and I have only seen maybe a few people that did...

I think the reason for the confusion is that all those guys have a 06 or 07. Different engine,different down pipe. Different problems. We are lucky enough to have bugeyes.
Our 2.0L handle downpipes much better. I did a little checking and found we don't even need a tune at all for a downpipe. I wouldn't recommend it for long and you will get more out of it with a tune.

(Taken from Unabomber's Manifesto)
Do I need engine management with a downpipe? For 02/03 WRX and 04-06 STI users, no. For 04+ WRX and 07+ STI users, it's pretty much a requirement as the open loop/closed loop fueling issue mandated by the EPA causes long term reliability problems with using a downpipe and no tuning. For STI users, the STI was the one exception manufacturers are allowed to have, but it's a wise move regardless as the STI and 06+ WRX users have a good chance of boost creep occuring with downpipe use. Tuning can ease this issue.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#19 Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Alright, fine... 300 wtq might be an ambitious goal. I was just throwing it out there to get him excited. 299 1/2 at the most
LW_Black4 likes this.

John
07 WRX
#20 Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
I think the reason for the confusion is that all those guys have a 06 or 07. Different engine,different down pipe. Different problems. We are lucky enough to have bugeyes.
Our 2.0L handle downpipes much better. I did a little checking and found we don't even need a tune at all for a downpipe. I wouldn't recommend it for long and you will get more out of it with a tune.

(Taken from Unabomber's Manifesto)
Do I need engine management with a downpipe? For 02/03 WRX and 04-06 STI users, no. For 04+ WRX and 07+ STI users, it's pretty much a requirement as the open loop/closed loop fueling issue mandated by the EPA causes long term reliability problems with using a downpipe and no tuning. For STI users, the STI was the one exception manufacturers are allowed to have, but it's a wise move regardless as the STI and 06+ WRX users have a good chance of boost creep occuring with downpipe use. Tuning can ease this issue.
i would be cautious to put on a dp on my car without a stage 2 protune, nevermind without at least a cobb ots map. has anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? i was thinking of going stage 2 next year.
#21 Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
2.5L should be pretty close
When did this start happening? 300 wtq is VF territory, even on a 2.5L. Most stage 2 2.5Ls don't have more than 250 wtq regardless of the type of dyno.
#22 Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Keith was rolling his eyes....
LW_Black4 likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#23 Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

rex0601 is an unknown
Were is a good place to look for local tuners in a area? I wouldnt think of running a aftermarket dp w/o a tune.thats a time bomb for the motor and prob make it a turd to boot.in regards to the topic i was jw what a reliable hp number people have expieranced with those mods.id looked around at numerous graphs and most were maybes.250-300 hp is no good if your car cant effectivly produce it w.o falling on its face.ive got some leave comeing up and would like to put some time in on some things.
#24 Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex0601 View Post
Were is a good place to look for local tuners in a area? I wouldnt think of running a aftermarket dp w/o a tune.thats a time bomb for the motor and prob make it a turd to boot.in regards to the topic i was jw what a reliable hp number people have expieranced with those mods.id looked around at numerous graphs and most were maybes.250-300 hp is no good if your car cant effectivly produce it w.o falling on its face.ive got some leave comeing up and would like to put some time in on some things.
DC area:
IAG
PTuning
TurboXS
Mach V
Agile
Element (not sure if he still does OS or not)

Virginia Beach:
All-Aspect

NC:
Boxer4
Motion Lab
man show, turmic and rex0601 like this.
#25 Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Keith was rolling his eyes....
I lack credentials...
pzr2874, n8mcd and LW_Black4 like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#26 Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sorry, my man show math was slightly off.

My 07 WRX "Stage 2ish" protune consisted of:
Cobb catted downpipe
HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back
K&N panel filter
GrimmSpeed ebcs
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Turbo XS tmic
GrimmSpeed ported/polished/ceramic coated stock headers w/ high flow crosspipe

...and I hit 238 whp/308 wtq with my stock TD04 on IAG's Dynojet dyno on a conservative tune.

Maybe 280 is a more realistic number for his torque. I was just throwing a number out there because that's what he asked for. The beers probably didn't help either.
06_hawk_eye likes this.

John
07 WRX
#27 Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
And a mustang dyno would read it lower. Not trying to be a D!ck.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#28 Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ True

John
07 WRX
#29 Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex0601 is an unknown
So a lil update.last weekend i installed a spt SR.bought it bc i ran across a good deal(120$ new and shipped)i ordered a ap v3 last weekend along with a catted cnt downpipe.talked to a guy at a jobsite who had one on his 07 who swore by them as been good qualiy for the $.both are at home waiting.ill be installing the dp this weekend and toying with the ap.can i run the spt on a stage 1 ots map in case i dont get time or weather permits the install of the dp.and after i do the dp can i run it on a sage 2 ots.ive read yes and no.the cobb and spt are basically the same.same diameter and both"safe" on bone stock.im assuming cobb tested theres bc its there product.pretty much just want any feedback on if anybodys done this.i dont want to waste $ on the intake but i also dont want creep or a crapped out car??!
#30 Old 11-26-2013, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex0601 View Post
So a lil update.last weekend i installed a spt SR.bought it bc i ran across a good deal(120$ new and shipped)i ordered a ap v3 last weekend along with a catted cnt downpipe.talked to a guy at a jobsite who had one on his 07 who swore by them as been good qualiy for the $.both are at home waiting.ill be installing the dp this weekend and toying with the ap.can i run the spt on a stage 1 ots map in case i dont get time or weather permits the install of the dp.and after i do the dp can i run it on a sage 2 ots.ive read yes and no.the cobb and spt are basically the same.same diameter and both"safe" on bone stock.im assuming cobb tested theres bc its there product.pretty much just want any feedback on if anybodys done this.i dont want to waste $ on the intake but i also dont want creep or a crapped out car??!
https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._WRX_06-07.pdf i dont think that intake will go with a ots map. correct me if im wrong.