Recently purchased modded '03 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-12-2006, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

1Linkloose is an unknown
Recently purchased modded '03

Howdy folks, I have recently purchased an '03 subie that has a catless exhaust, Greddy BOV, and an Injen intake. I have no clue what else has been done as far as the engine or if the car came stock with an intercooler. I'm getting excess fuel at an Idle that gives off the nice white smoke cloud when you take off. I bought the car from a GM dealer so I'm pretty sure they looked at the car and scratched their heads. I'm not sure what my next steps should be as far as getting some more HP or just having it run right. I'm in Florida near Tampa if anyone knows somebody local that can help me out?

Any advice will help Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2006, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
I think that the next step should be some EM (engine management). Then you will really notice the power difference. Got any pics. Welcome to the site. Do some searching and you will find alot of info as well

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#3 Old 12-12-2006, 12:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

1Linkloose is an unknown
I've been reading in some of the forums and wondering if the Cobb AP would be a reasonable place to start. I drive the car to and from work so I'm not going all out with it, but it's always nice to know you got your setup right in case someone pulls up and you have to "exercise the engine." Am I correct in the understanding that the AP comes with presets that you simply plug in and flash the ECU with?
#4 Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
yea that is correct. if you arent gonna be trying to go huge wiht numbers id say look around this forum or nasioc.com or ebay for a used v1 cobb ap. they are year specific though so be sure and get the right one for your year.
#5 Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

1Linkloose is an unknown
Thnx man I'll check those out and we'll see what I come up with. I'll try to get some pics up after I do some transferring.
#6 Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
White smoke is coolant....sounds like coolant is puddling in your exhaust at idle and then blowing out your exhaust when you step on it. Could either be a cracked head/block, head gasket or dead turbo. If you want I am in tampa for the next 4 days...if you drive to my hotel I will look at your car for you. PM me if you want my hotel and phone #...
#7 Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

1Linkloose is an unknown
I did send a PM hope you got it. When I first saw the smoke I went to the pipe and smelled it. All I could smell was gas, like it hadn't been burnt. Now for a long time I worked on Diesels and became familiar with smoke colors but the car doesn't run hot and its only when I sit at an idle for more than a couple minutes. It's been my experience that coolant being burnt is continual smoke and worsens at higher temps due to expanding metal or vice versa where the smoke is worse when cold then diminishes as the car heats up. Anyway my point being is there is no smoke at start up and even the higher RPMs nothing. I hope I'm not getting too in depth for this particular forum.
#8 Old 12-12-2006, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
You are not too in depth...this could very well just be some condensation. When my turbo took a crap on me, it was pouring some coolant down the exhaust, and it would only show when it had idled for a little bit, then was revved...we will look at it though. Sounds like you are not a novice at this stuff.
#9 Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX-One is an unknown
Hmm.. Bradenton is closer to me than you Paul. Maybe he would like to come to that meet tomorrow night..???

-Ron
#10 Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Maybe he would...pm him.
#11 Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

1Linkloose is an unknown
I'll hope for the condensation. I'll say that I can figure out an engine if you give me time, but these wonderful, wonderful Horizontally opposed,4 cyl, turbo charged engines are a new one for me. If I only had endless amounts of money.....oh the possibilities.
#12 Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
And this is where it begins...mark the date on your calender.