3Likes
  • 2 Post By arcticscythe
  • 1 Post By 14WRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Rebuilt title... worth it?

I've been looking around for a while at the WRX, and I need to find one within certain constraints for my parents to even consider it. I've found a couple with around 50k miles for about $20,000, which seem decent I guess. Then, I found a 2013 with less than 10k on it for the same amount. The dealer says that it has a rebuilt title, but only because "water got on the carpets" during a big rain storm when the owner's house flooded. Carpets, electrical connections, and fluids have all been replaced since then.
The vehicle is about an hour and a half away, and I would absolutely love to have a 2013 with such low milage, but there are also a lot of negative vibes surrounding "rebuilt" cars. Is is probable that the car would have been totaled for some water on the carpets, or could something else be at work here? Are there any signs that I should look for if I decide to look at this? I've read several different things concerning how much a rebuilt title effects price. KBB values it at around 26k, for what that's worth. Any ideas on if this a fair price?

Also, feel free to throw in any personal opinions about the situation. Just trying to keep this from being a repeat thread by asking more specific questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
mod-it,

If your dropping serious coin I would not "RISK" a water damaged salvage title.

I drove a salvage title lancer for 7 years, it had been broken into and had the stereo/electronics ripped out, total cost of repairs was worth more than the car and I got it really cheap (4k with 10,000 miles.)

Insurance companies dont usually total a vehicle unless the repair cost is above 80% of the diminished value of the vehicle. that means that the quote for repairs would have been about 20k. Thats ALOT of work that would have been done to earn it a salvage title.

With water comes rust, electrical damage, plastics damage, fabric damage, and a host of other problems. To truely salvage a water damaged car the entire vehicle needs to be rebuilt. (read the entire interior needs to be replaced, If the water damage was "dirty" then all the plastics would need to be replaced as well, if the engine was in any way submerged then it would likely need to be rebuild/replaced aswell)

For my money Id save up a bit and grab a used 2012 or 2013, in California they can be had for 25k if you find the right dealer who's ready to make a sale.
Epictofer and jimcoper like this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#3 Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
I would pass on a salvage vehicle unless you truly know what happened and what was damaged. Water damaged doesn't sound good at all. 20K is a lot. Plus trying to get a loan on salvage is horrible. You can get a 2014 base brand new for 24298.00! They also ship too. If you want more info on it let me know.
jimcoper likes this.
#4 Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
As a person who has built a dozen or so wrecks. Water is the worst. Arcticscythe hit the nail on the head. If water made it to the carpets. Was it nose down in water or ass down. If it was on flat ground, go outside and look at your parents car and see what the door seal is. That how deep is was in water at a minimum. Just take a look around the car and see everything that would have gotten wet.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
#5 Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
mod-it,

If your dropping serious coin I would not "RISK" a water damaged salvage title.

I drove a salvage title lancer for 7 years, it had been broken into and had the stereo/electronics ripped out, total cost of repairs was worth more than the car and I got it really cheap (4k with 10,000 miles.)

Insurance companies dont usually total a vehicle unless the repair cost is above 80% of the diminished value of the vehicle. that means that the quote for repairs would have been about 20k. Thats ALOT of work that would have been done to earn it a salvage title.

With water comes rust, electrical damage, plastics damage, fabric damage, and a host of other problems. To truely salvage a water damaged car the entire vehicle needs to be rebuilt. (read the entire interior needs to be replaced, If the water damage was "dirty" then all the plastics would need to be replaced as well, if the engine was in any way submerged then it would likely need to be rebuild/replaced aswell)

For my money Id save up a bit and grab a used 2012 or 2013, in California they can be had for 25k if you find the right dealer who's ready to make a sale.
Well thank you for the reply. All of that completely makes sense, though I obviously wish that this wasn't the case. Guess I'll look at some other ones around the same price range.
#6 Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

jimcoper is an unknown
Hi,
I completely agree with you on this.Even I use a salvage title car but only after doing thorough investigation on it.If the deal is worth it then only go for it but only from the reputed car dealers to avoid fraud cases. Read this post about the salvage auctions to have better idea.
#7 Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bubba James is an unknown
They will total a car as soon as its flooded or has fire no matter what the damage cost is. Could be minor damage but thats a gamble. Insurance companies usually don't like to insure a salvage title either. And when they do, its a bit more expensive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App