Subaru WRX Forum banner

Rebuilt engine or sell car?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 ·
Hello peeps, new to this forum. I had a couple questions because im in over my head with my situation. I currently own a 04 wrx. Took it to the shop because of a noise. Turned out to be a lobe going bad on the intake cam. Can i still drive it like that? He told me i probably have to get a different engine. Is that neccessary? If so, would it be better to get a used engine or buy a rebuilt engine? And what type of engine is better, rebuilt, remanufactured?
Lastly, can i just change the intake cam?

#2 ·
I own an '04 WRX too, and I've had the engine rebuilt.

We can give you some engine rebuild or replacement guidance, but I'd like to know a little more about the intake cam issue.

Did they say why the intake cam lobe is 'going bad', and from who are you getting this assessment?

#3 ·
Well there was a rattling noise in first gear from 2000rpm to 4000rm and then it would go away after i shifted gears. Only happens on first gear. Mechanic took engine apart and found that the intake cam, on the driver side, the very left lobe was growing flat, only that lobe, and that was the reason why it was making tha rattling noise. He gave me a couple options but idk whats the best.

#6 ·
This was a local mechanic. And no he didnt show me but he just told me what he found. He said everythinh checked out alright.

Well he only gave me like 4 options. To put a new intake cam, to put used engine or a rebuilt one.
Can i just fix the cam? Or might as well get the remanufactured engine(install and total would be roughly 6500$)

#8 ·
I'd replace the cam, oil and oil cooler. Check for metal filings in the oil on the magnetic oil drain plug at the same time, if the cam has worn away.

The oil cooler has tiny passages that trap metal filings and that's why it's replaced. See photo below.

You'd also want to understand why one cam was wearing prematurely. Did your mechanic have any idea?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.