Racer X fmic vs Process West tmic? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Close race. You will just have to read up on reviews and research to decide which one you like best. You might even come across something else you like better in the process. If I were buying I would pick the full race simply for the warranty. The killer b comes with a uppipe that is connected by a v-band flange. This means no external wastegate is ever possible without custom welding and modification. The full race has a stock style 2 bolt uppipe flange but, no uppipe included. Both great products though just, different uppipe designs. either way your golden! The link I provided for gs is for 08+

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Sorry I'm wrong...Killer B does have a ewg option.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #18 of 26 Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The Full-Race has the bling factor going for it. Very well made stuff, but so is the KillerB.

The Grimmspeed one on the other hand isn't even remotely comparable. It's nothing but a ported and polished stock exhaust manifold. PnP is done for to increase responsiveness and not necessarily power. The problem is that they tend to over-port their cross-pipes, and due to the loss of gas velocity actually this actually undoes the gains seen by the rest of their header. The cross-pipe alone actually harms performance more than anything else because they do it incorrectly.

The dashed line is with the factory cross-pipe, the solid one is with GS's modified one.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/74e99b83.png
post #19 of 26 Old 01-04-2014, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Here is a very interesting thread comparing the two, in which the manufacturers jump in for debate. Worth taking the time to sit down and read all 17 pages. My take after reading is that the killer b may be slightly better but, I still wouldnt be able to say no to the full race due to the lifetime warranty. Are Full Race or Killerb Headers actually worth the $? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The Full-Race has the bling factor going for it. Very well made stuff, but so is the KillerB.

The Grimmspeed one on the other hand isn't even remotely comparable. It's nothing but a ported and polished stock exhaust manifold. PnP is done for to increase responsiveness and not necessarily power. The problem is that they tend to over-port their cross-pipes, and due to the loss of gas velocity actually this actually undoes the gains seen by the rest of their header. The cross-pipe alone actually harms performance more than anything else because they do it incorrectly.

The dashed line is with the factory cross-pipe, the solid one is with GS's modified one.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/74e99b83.png
I know the grimmspeed is on the opposite end of the spectrum as these headers or many others but, is still noteworthy. It is a good entry level set-up that works and is a great option for someone on a tighter budget. I am curious to know more details about the dyno comparison between the stock vs gs. There are many possible explanations that could be a factor there. Was this car tuned after install? Same tuner? How much time between comparison? Same vehicle? Any other mods that were added along with pipes? These are just a few things that could have altered the dyno graph. I personally know a guy that test for GS and can vouch that their products go through real world testing as well as dyno testing. I have a hard time believing a trusted company like them would put something out that simply dont work as claimed. I have also seen conflicting dyno graphs for their pipes that show gains. Not saying your dyno graph is BS, just saying there are variables to consider.
the RIOT act likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #20 of 26 Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Doinworqson is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Here is a very interesting thread comparing the two, in which the manufacturers jump in for debate. Worth taking the time to sit down and read all 17 pages. My take after reading is that the killer b may be slightly better but, I still wouldnt be able to say no to the full race due to the lifetime warranty. Are Full Race or Killerb Headers actually worth the $? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I know the grimmspeed is on the opposite end of the spectrum as these headers or many others but, is still noteworthy. It is a good entry level set-up that works and is a great option for someone on a tighter budget. I am curious to know more details about the dyno comparison between the stock vs gs. There are many possible explanations that could be a factor there. Was this car tuned after install? Same tuner? How much time between comparison? Same vehicle? Any other mods that were added along with pipes? These are just a few things that could have altered the dyno graph. I personally know a guy that test for GS and can vouch that their products go through real world testing as well as dyno testing. I have a hard time believing a trusted company like them would put something out that simply dont work as claimed. I have also seen conflicting dyno graphs for their pipes that show gains. Not saying your dyno graph is BS, just saying there are variables to consider.
I'd have to agree, that's one of the threads I read tree when trying to decide on a header. Based off all that tho I'm leaning more towards the killer B cause of the steal try use and it come with an up pipe. If I'm going with a tmic I'd want to order directly from them so I can just have it coated before receiving it.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post

The only difference in that chart is the GS cross-pipe vs stock. There were no other changes. He ended up getting another stock cross-pipe modified by a mutual friend (who happens to be on this forum) and he regained his low end.
post #22 of 26 Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The only difference in that chart is the GS cross-pipe vs stock. There were no other changes. He ended up getting another stock cross-pipe modified by a mutual friend (who happens to be on this forum) and he regained his low end.
I bet it would have been a different story had they been tuned for. Tuning is a must for any increase in air entering or exiting the engine.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #23 of 26 Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The 2008-2014 WRX has a turbo layout specifically designed to minimize lag through reduced intercooler piping. The TMIC piping is unbelievably short practically integrating itself into the intake manifold on one side and the turbo on the other.

But you know, go a head and completely undo all that engineering with a FMIC. Make sure to leave that stock turbo layout so you have extra bends as your IC piping goes AROUND where the intercooler is designed to be in order to feed your front one. I'm sure the added lag will be fun.

Don't get me wrong. That layout is very limiting if you upgrade the turbo but using anything other than a TMIC with that turbo layout is just bizarro to me. It's not that hard to switch to the more conventional 02-07WRX/04-14STi layout if you upgrade turbos (and then you can look at a FMIC)

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #24 of 26 Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Doinworqson is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
The 2008-2014 WRX has a turbo layout specifically designed to minimize lag through reduced intercooler piping. The TMIC piping is unbelievably short practically integrating itself into the intake manifold on one side and the turbo on the other.

But you know, go a head and completely undo all that engineering with a FMIC. Make sure to leave that stock turbo layout so you have extra bends as your IC piping goes AROUND where the intercooler is designed to be in order to feed your front one. I'm sure the added lag will be fun.

Don't get me wrong. That layout is very limiting if you upgrade the turbo but using anything other than a TMIC with that turbo layout is just bizarro to me. It's not that hard to switch to the more conventional 02-07WRX/04-14STi layout if you upgrade turbos (and then you can look at a FMIC)
I've already decided on the PW for the reasons your pointing out, thanks tho. I'm curious now, i had no clue this gen STI had a different layout than the WRX. what are the key differences?
post #25 of 26 Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinworqson View Post
I've already decided on the PW for the reasons your pointing out, thanks tho. I'm curious now, i had no clue this gen STI had a different layout than the WRX. what are the key differences?
Umm...the layout?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #26 of 26 Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
And with that, the Wrx is bolt up style.
(Mumbles hateful things under breath)
A good tmic will serve tons over stock.
I'm going front mount, but only because I'm going rotated. I just feel that with doing that, it leaves me a ton of room for growth. So I can in turn, keep throwing thousands of dollars under the hood, that I don't have... Fol
pzr2874 likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement