Racer X fmic vs Process West tmic? - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Doinworqson is an unknown
Racer X fmic vs Process West tmic?

I've read a lot about the PW tmic but can't find much useful info on the racer x fmic. There is very limited info out there regarding the racer x. I've already purchase tons of aftermarket parts over the holidays and am just waiting to install. I want to do a full stg 2 build on my 14wrx, or I guess full bolt on build with the stock turbo. I'm curious as to how well the racer x performs on the stock turbo vs PW. I'd also like to know how the quality is or any other general info about it you may have. ALSO, The racer x has a better price tag, just curious if its worth getting over the PW. I under stand its not needed, but if it performs better I'd like to know. Any one have any useful info on the racer x?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I run a Ebay TMIC and never had an issue. Granted the PW might have better quality welds, but mine doesn't leak and holds 28psi just fine.
Nathan21 likes this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Laxx1991 is an unknown
i purchase the racer x fmic. going to install as soon as i can get the car tuned..
#4 Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
This is an easy decision. Process West all the way. Nothing about a stock turbo setup makes a FMIC ideal.
#5 Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
This is an easy decision. Process West all the way. Nothing about a stock turbo setup makes a FMIC ideal.
Texas summers do
#6 Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxx1991 View Post
i purchase the racer x fmic. going to install as soon as i can get the car tuned..
How's the quality look to you? And you definitely gotta let me know how it is once installed and tuned. Hopefully it works out great. There is such limited info on racer X fmic.
#7 Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I know nothing about the Racer X but, do know I'd slap my moma for a PW! The pro's and con's of fmic and tmic can be argued for days. Personally I'm a tmic guy and would get the PW. Process west intercoolers are top of the line for a tmic and more than enough to handle a stock turbo. It will also be plenty efficient on a upgraded turbo. If you do go that route dont forget the splitter for maximum efficiency.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#8 Old 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I know nothing about the Racer X but, do know I'd slap my moma for a PW! The pro's and con's of fmic and tmic can be argued for days. Personally I'm a tmic guy and would get the PW. Process west intercoolers are top of the line for a tmic and more than enough to handle a stock turbo. It will also be plenty efficient on a upgraded turbo. If you do go that route dont forget the splitter for maximum efficiency.
The wind spliter is included with the PW IC right? its so hard getting any kind of info on that racer x. tempting to purchase but i dont know the risks of running a bad IC.
#9 Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinworqson View Post
Texas summers do
I'm from Texas and most of the time I've owned my WRX it was in Texas. There is no reason you need a FMIC. If anything it would hurt your performance more than it would help it.
#10 Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^this

Also, might benefit you more to wrap the DP and the likes. Maybe even a blanket on the snail.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Exactly, there are ways to combat heat soak without assuming the downfalls of a FMIC. Reflective tape, ceramic coating, More thorough heat shielding (turbo blanket), wrapping your exhaust, etc. A FMIC would allow for greater peak power, though it would hurt throttle response and spool speed, which is the primary benefit of running a small turbo like the stock one. When you get to larger turbos where a few hundred RPM off spool speed are more trivial, then the trade offs swing in favor of a FMIC.
#12 Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Exactly, there are ways to combat heat soak without assuming the downfalls of a FMIC. Reflective tape, ceramic coating, More thorough heat shielding (turbo blanket), wrapping your exhaust, etc. A FMIC would allow for greater peak power, though it would hurt throttle response and spool speed, which is the primary benefit of running a small turbo like the stock one. When you get to larger turbos where a few hundred RPM off spool speed are more trivial, then the trade offs swing in favor of a FMIC.
I see your point.. I'd rather keep the faster throttle time on the vf-52 than make it lag. turbo lag sucks. i guess i better add turbo blankets and wraps to my list of things to buy for this car lol. This rout changes my header choice tho. I think im going to just get the Killer B headers from their site so i can have them ceramic coat it. unless there is another site that sells them with the coat? adn then ill wrap them as well. Rather be on the safe side and not risk cracking with the other headers. just going to hate the costs lol. so far those are the only bolt ons missing from my build and ive managed to keep the cost under 2.5k . I was prevoiusly going to get the Tomei ELH if i went the rout of FMIC. But if im going to be wrapping i dont know if those headers hold up well to the heat.
#13 Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
You can Have any header coated. Swaintech is a great place to get coating done. They charge about $225 for a subaru header. Killer b makes an awesome header and so does full race. Full race has a lifetime warranty to the orignal purchaser for cracks or any other defect. A cheaper but still effective option is grimmspeed ported, polished, and coated manifolds with high flow crosspipe. Oem parts so, cracking is nearly non-existent.

White Lightning Exhaust Coatings | Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings
Subaru WRX / STI EJ20 & EJ25 ProStock 2-Bolt 1.5 Scroll Lower Turbo Manifold - Full-Race.com
http://www.grimmspeed.com/exhaust-ma...x-all-sti-lgt/

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#14 Old 01-03-2014, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinworqson View Post

I see your point.. I'd rather keep the faster throttle time on the vf-52 than make it lag. turbo lag sucks. i guess i better add turbo blankets and wraps to my list of things to buy for this car lol. This rout changes my header choice tho. I think im going to just get the Killer B headers from their site so i can have them ceramic coat it. unless there is another site that sells them with the coat? adn then ill wrap them as well. Rather be on the safe side and not risk cracking with the other headers. just going to hate the costs lol. so far those are the only bolt ons missing from my build and ive managed to keep the cost under 2.5k . I was prevoiusly going to get the Tomei ELH if i went the rout of FMIC. But if im going to be wrapping i dont know if those headers hold up well to the heat.
I really, really, really wanna say something here, but you wouldn't get it and it would lose it's humor.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
You can Have any header coated. Swaintech is a great place to get coating done. They charge about $225 for a subaru header. Killer b makes an awesome header and so does full race. Full race has a lifetime warranty to the orignal purchaser for cracks or any other defect. A cheaper but still effective option is grimmspeed ported, polished, and coated manifolds with high flow crosspipe. Oem parts so, cracking is nearly non-existent.

White Lightning Exhaust Coatings | Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings
Subaru WRX / STI EJ20 & EJ25 ProStock 2-Bolt 1.5 Scroll Lower Turbo Manifold - Full-Race.com
Exhaust Manifold Porting/Coating - Subaru 02-05 and 08+ WRX, ALL STi/LGT - GrimmSpeed
Between the full-race and killer b, who makes a better quality header? I looked up the Grimm speed but I don't think they make one for the 2011+ wrx. I read a whole debate on the differences in their materials, but wonder if that really even matters. I'm curious if ones more reliable than the other.