Subaru WRX Forum banner

Q regarding Short throws

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
Although admittedly i don't have a WRX YEETT.. Im in the market for a 2011 wrx sedan, i joined to get my knowledge up to par so i know what to do when i get one...

But my q is, the SPT SS is the whole sifting assembly, where as kartboy, or mode or cobb just replaces the shifter itself, yet feels that much better?? my whole thing is at first i was stuck between the 2011 speed3 and this car and decided on the wrx as my end choice but how can i get the accurate tight feel by only changing the shifter??

and i read on some threads below this one where ppl said they never noticed a diff with changing the shift bushings, and was questioning weather it was due to the car was brand new still..

so yeah is the spt ss whole linkage not better and not more accurate feeling that stock linkage with the leading aftermarket sort shifter?

#2 ·
The SPT shifter isn't worth the price. It improves the shift feel over stock (I test drove a WRX with the SPT and it does feel better). Then when I got my car with no SS, put in the Kartboy and bushings, the SPT felt like a stock shifter compared to the Kartboy.

Most of the change is just in how high up the linkage connects to the shifter and how tall/short the shifter is itself. The SPT doesn't change much in how the linkage connects, but it is a bit shorter.

I also noticed a huge difference in getting a new shift knob on my Kartboy. My cobb knob lowered the shifter by another 3/4" or so and it made it feel even better. Then I did the trans mounts and it felt even better yet.

Basically what I'm saying is for the price of the SPT you can get any aftermarket shifter, be it Kartboy, MODE (adjustable SS), or any other, front and rear shifter stay bushings, a Group-N transmission mount, and transmission cross-member mounts, and have a 100% improvement over stock and a hell of a lot more over the SPT.

Just a price comparison:

SPT Shifter from Dealer: $295

Kartboy SS: $110 Kartboy Short Throw Shifter Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2011 WRX / 2006-2009 Legacy GT / 2006-2008 Forester XT) at RallySportDirect.com

Front and Rear Bushings: $65 Kartboy Shifter Bushings Subaru 5 Speed (inc. 2002-2011 WRX) at RallySportDirect.com

Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2011 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

Group-N Trans Mount: $67 https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_99_111&products_id=1405

Kartboy Trans Crossmember Bushings: $30 Kartboy Transmission Mount Bushings Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2011 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

Cobb Knob: $65 COBB Tuning Delrin Shift Knob Red 5MT Subaru Models at RallySportDirect.com

That is exactly what I have done to my car and I absolutely love it.

#4 ·
What Chris said is more than accurate and true. The SPT SS is more than a waste of money. You honestly would not be happy with it once you realized what else is out there. Good for you to get on here and research and ask before just jumping into something. Good luck with your purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.