Protune in Ohio? Or Open source? and Modding Questions... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Protune in Ohio? Or Open source? and Modding Questions...

Hey all, well I'm pretty new to this, I've had my 2007 WRX wagon (stock) for about a month. I believe that I should tune my car to stage 1 first. I've searched but I can't seem to find a list of protuners in Ohio. Does anyone know where I can find a list of them? On the other hand, I believe that I am pretty handy and wondering if I should try to open source and tune myself with my laptop, or possibly try to find a cheap Cobb AP...what would you guys do?

Also, I'm planning on doing a snorkel delete and buying a k&n air filter for the stock intake, and then soon getting a SPT cat-back, and does any one know of a good downpipe off the turbo that has a high flow cat? Any other types of exhaust recommendations that has the same performance/sound level would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 12:06 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I am the unofficial Cobb spokesman here, lol. But I have a Cobb AP, ran stage 1 and stage 2 for each a year and am in the works of getting my 20G tuned with it. The guy tuning my car is Tim Bailey, a genius when it comes to tuning the subies IMO. The AP is very uyser friendly and has some nice features. I also run the Cobb TBE, great fitment, sound and look. Looks just like stock but louder at idle and WOT. Look up Buschur racing, they are more known for their EVOs, but they do subies also, and Tim travles there once and awhile to tune cars there also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 01:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtasy02 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrxtasy02
If you are still looking for a tuner, look up the website meadengineering.com, get bryons phone number. Give him a call. He used to work for dave buschur and he really knows his stuff, and he's really straight forward and honest. They have all different kinds of performance parts, that are relatively cheap. Give em a call.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Ok, great...I'll give Buschur Racing and Tim a look into....as for mead, according to the site says "Mead Engineering is now closed. Thank you for the years of support. Management". I'll have to look into the Cobb TBE...But if I got an AP do you think it's worth it for me? All I really plan on doing is the exhaust...Also, when I do the snorkel silencer delete, is it ok to keep the car running with its original ECU program for a while, or do you think it messes with the A/F Ratio too much? Thanks
post #5 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplnmdls View Post
Ok, great...I'll give Buschur Racing and Tim a look into....as for mead, according to the site says "Mead Engineering is now closed. Thank you for the years of support. Management". I'll have to look into the Cobb TBE...But if I got an AP do you think it's worth it for me? All I really plan on doing is the exhaust...Also, when I do the snorkel silencer delete, is it ok to keep the car running with its original ECU program for a while, or do you think it messes with the A/F Ratio too much? Thanks
You shouldn't have to tune your car for the snorkus delete. If you are trying to save money and are good with a computer you should look into open source. All you need is $100-200 for a tactrix cable and the willingness to learn to use it. You can probably find a cheap AP or Tactrix on the NASIOC classifieds, I see them all the time.

If you are concerned about cost you should wait to get protuned until you have some mods.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
ok...this is what I think I might do...anyone please let me know if I could do anything to hurt my car...

1) Buy an Accessport, remove snorkel silencer, add a K&N high flow air filter, tune to stage 1 on AP

2)Buy a Turbo back exhaust and flash to stage 2

Does that sound ok?

If i take it to a protune shop will they customize a program for my specific car? Or is what I have in mind good enough just for an AP? Thinking about it too, is the AP safe to use on the car, like is the reliability compromised at all?

Thanks everyone!
post #7 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplnmdls View Post
ok...this is what I think I might do...anyone please let me know if I could do anything to hurt my car...

1) Buy an Accessport, remove snorkel silencer, add a K&N high flow air filter, tune to stage 1 on AP

2)Buy a Turbo back exhaust and flash to stage 2

Does that sound ok?

If i take it to a protune shop will they customize a program for my specific car? Or is what I have in mind good enough just for an AP? Thinking about it too, is the AP safe to use on the car, like is the reliability compromised at all?

Thanks everyone!
A pro tune shop will usually modify your base map to produce more power and a smoother curve with incremental runs on a dyno during modification.

The steps you outline above might be "good enough" (that is really a matter of preference), and is a reliable path followed by 1000s of people every year. Any power modification that increases horsepower will have some negative impact on the overall life of the engine (but probably not much for just stage1/2. The AP stage 1 map is generally thought of to be as safe or safer than the stock map (stock map can run lean). Stage 2 and a TBE seems safe enough, this is the first modification done by nearly everyone who mods a wrx.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
hmmm...ok..thanks! I'm still not sure if I want to go with an AP or a protune...

I just called Buschur racing and they told me that they don't work on Subarus and they wouldn't tune it for me???

My friend recommended to me Street Legal Customs in Detroit, MI? Anyone heard of them or have gone to them?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Well I just called Street Legal Customs, who would do a road tune...but it would cost MORE than I could get a really good used AP for!!! Considering I only really want to do those upgrades, then I think i'm back on the side of an accessport... :-/