Pros and cons of having an auto tranny on a WRX? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 07-08-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Maximus is an unknown
Pros and cons of having an auto tranny on a WRX?

How difficult is it to do burnouts at a launch or to do donuts with an automatic WRX?

Aside from the 0-60 speed difference, what can a manual wrx do that an auto wrx can't?

Is there a difference in exhaust sound btwn an automatic WRX and a stickshift WRX if they both have turboback's?

Can someone tell me all the differences btwn an auto and a stickshift?

What other high Hp cars are stickshift?

Pardon all the dumb questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 07-08-2006, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
A manual is a lot more fun to drive, it gets better gas mileage usually. A manual wrx will smoke a automatic with same mods. Yeah there is always a sound difference between an atuomatic and a manual. A manual you can rev up and let the gears wind down which is a noticeable difference in sound, and is not something you would be able to do in an automatic. A stickshift is nice because you actually control the gears, you can downshift when you want and upshift when you want. If you drive both you will be able to tell the difference a lot more turbo lag in an automatic. Evo, Sti, Corvettes, M3, M5, M6, etc.. too many to name do some research.
post #3 of 48 Old 07-08-2006, 05:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
its more difficult. not terrible. but its hard to get a stock wrx to do either of those things regardless of the type of transmission

well a manual has the advantage of being 100% under your control. you don't have to worry about the trans changing gear on you mid corner. you can keep the revs at a certain place (power band) but most importantly, you can downshift on command. auto trans are renowned for not being able to keep up with a decelerating car.

the fact that its an automatic trans will not in itself effect the pitch o the exhaust, but the way it effects the engine will. you could theoretically produce the same sounds with a manual.

you will have to be more specific. or check out how stuff works .com

any race car on a circuit track will be stick. only place you find auto's in racing is at the drag strip. stick is the drivers choice, auto is for lady's and people who don't really drive for the experience of driving, they drive there car to get from point a to point b.

there are no dumb question.
post #4 of 48 Old 07-08-2006, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
If I had to do it again I would have gotten the auto, bullet proof tranny, better at bracket racing.
post #5 of 48 Old 07-08-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Maximus is an unknown
Quote:
"If I had to do it again I would have gotten the auto, bullet proof tranny, better at bracket racing."

This makes me feel a lot better.

Now I want to upgrade. Which stage II is best?

I hear a lot about the "COBB"
post #6 of 48 Old 07-08-2006, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
Cobb is good.

One of the problems I have with auto trannies is I like to speed up through a gear and then let off the gas in the next gear to coast a little. In autos they aren't as quick to up shift either, so the revs are too high for a few seconds. The gear change in mid corner is bad juju. It could severely throw off your balance and make you spin out or wreck.

Burnouts are not a good idea in an AWD car, lots of stress. Both trannies will do donuts, but the auto might want to up shift meaning you would lose the torque needed to keep the wheels spinning and would stop the donut.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #7 of 48 Old 07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Donuts and stuff all bad for everything, auto is better at drag racing, not going around corners.
post #8 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
[QUOTE=Nose Nuggets]auto is for lady's and people who don't really drive for the experience of driving, they drive there car to get from point a to point b.QUOTE]

You know, I get really tired of this crap. I've driven everything from 3- 4- 5- & 6-speed manuals, numerous automatics and 5 or 6 speed motorcycles. How do you know I don't drive for the experience of driving??? You don't know me or my reasons for getting a 4EAT so don't pretend that you do.

I'm running a AP mapped to my VF34 with no complaints about the transmission. I will complain about my torque convertor but will get to that in a minute. I've never had it to downshift in a corner without me wanting it to or do anything to upset the balance of the car. I've got a really tight & twisty 1-lane country road near my house that is one of my favorite playgrounds. Lock it in 3rd & let her eat. Stays over 2500 RPM and boost is always ready. Two tight hairpins & it will kick down to 2nd and push 20 lbs boost before dropping back into 3rd. I'll at least hang with or smoke anyone (except lil shoaf) on an 80 mph roll-on. Passing gear from hell.

4EAT is bulletproof, but stock torque convertor sucks ass. Yeah, lag is horrible but a high-stall mod from protorque or IPT can cure it. That drops stall from 2800 down to 2200 so boost is right there right now. In the meantime, you may get away from the light quicker than I do, but by the time you look in your mirror I'll be shutting you down in a hurry.

I've been enjoying the "experience of driving" since before most of you were weaned from your mama. Until now, my favorite car had been my '69 AMX 390 4-speed. As much fun as I had in that car, it can't hold a candle to what my WRX will do. You got the same mods as me in your 5 speed? Bring it on, I'll be sitting in my driveway waiting for you. I'm ready to play whenever you are.

Both of my girls are too hot for you
post #9 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
Sorry about the rant I threw last night. Bad mood + too many Coronas = shouldn't be posting. As Nuggets said, there are no dumb questions, only dumb responses. Trans choice is up to you depending on your needs and circumstances. Both have pros & cons, and both cars can be modded to your taste. I traded an 02 5-sp for my 04 auto and personally enjoy the 04 more. You've got a WRX and a desire to make it better, that's all that counts. I just go off when someone generalizes that because my car is an auto, I don't enjoy driving it hard. Parents tend to go off when someone unjustly criticizes their kids. Say something about my daughter or my car and I'm going to defend them, just like any proud parent would. Now that the weekend's over & I've pissed all the alcohol out of my system I wanted to come clean. Thanks, I feel better now.

Both of my girls are too hot for you
post #10 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
if you are physically 100% able to drive a manual tranny and you choose an auto for the ease.. then you should have gotten a camry, or a v6 firebird/mustang

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #11 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Bah, auto trans with a few modifications = sick consistency at the strip and you can build boost at the line. Yes, the manual is the favored cofiguration for most other racing, but if drag is your thing, go auto.

But, it's just like any other transmission, if you're going to drag it, be ready to fix it.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #12 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
hahaha having a lame auto at a drag is like "i dont know how to turn or shift properly, so id best use an auto and go in a straight line!!"

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #13 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
The only thing I can say to that is, most really fast guys are using auto's at the strip.

The old Buschur Talon - 2 spd powerglide. 7.81 @ 178 (IIRC)

But,

John Shepard's Talon is running 7's as well AWD and manauls tranny.

So I guess it's a toss up.

I really don't know what one I'd go with really if I was all about dragging my car. I'm not sure if my car will see the track again to be honest. I can't afford it. If I told my wife I was going to the strip again, she'd probably beat me with something.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #14 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 01:54 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
lasts longer? Manual
Cheaper to fix? Manual
costs less to buy? Manual
better gas miledge? Manual
Faster? Manual
More fun? Manual

why are you still debating this?
post #15 of 48 Old 07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member