Problems with the 06' WRX 2.5L? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
So i have a question about this tranny issue. Here it goes. If you buy a WRX and dont do anything performance wise and say at 9,000 miles you bust a gear in your trans, can subaru claim abuse and not fix it, eventhough you have not voided your warranty.

Because I want one so bad, and I plan on keeping the warranty on the powertrain, but I will do everything else, suspension, sound, cosmetics and then after the warranty is over then go for more power
That is correct, they could make that claim to you. I've yet to hear of someone getting their tranny fixed by Subaru so I'm assuming they just don't do that. Then again I don't really see how you could bust 3rd gear from abuse... usually it's 1st or 2nd from slamming the gears and dumping the clutch. Although I guess if you flatshift everywhere you go, that could happen.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

loner_06WRX is an unknown
thats sad to hear...i have had about three services on the SRT ,all tranny issues and all problems with the third gear.I told their monkey asses that it was the sychros as well as other things,but they would'nt listen to me.I did my own research of it online and on the forums about the car and feedback on it,but Chrysler insisted that they do it their way...i had to go back to them over and over and over again because 3rd failed over and over and over again..screwing up my clutch and disabling it. They finaly disassenbeld the thing and took it up with the corporation and fixed it..only took about a year to do so.
pricks...they didn't charge me for the last one, but all in all costed me about $2k total.
i think every car has it's weak points that need to be addressed accordingly...but this is rediculis...
post #18 of 38 Old 07-25-2006, 01:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

white_streak is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to white_streak
I totally disagree Jive:eek: . I happen to work in service department for an automotive dealership. Let me paint you a picture. You are a customer who just spent a big chunk of change on a vehicle and don't know a whole lot about cars in general . Visiting the service department of a dealership for you can be equated to visiting the dentist . Every time you do, you are guaranteed to spend a good amount of money in the event that something is wrong, and there will be some measure of pain involved. You put your faith in this department, staffed with people that you don't know very well, and trust them to tell you the truth when they could easily extort large sums of money from you, and also to believe you when you submit a warranty claim. If an automobile manufacturer didn't gain the trust of the customer in the first place, then they would never sign on the X and there would be no sale, hence no work for their shop. Are you seeing it yet? If not let me spell it out for you. This is not a business where you can hold the philosophy of guilty until proved innocent. How would the customer, who doesn't know much about cars, prove to a service manager that the issue with their vehicle is in fact a defect and not stemming from driver abuse. They would have to recreate the same exact situation in which the malfunction occurred with the same exact vehicle. And I mean the same exact situation. Down to transmission age and temperature, throttle position, load, speed. Everything. At the same time all of this has to be done in a controlled environment while under the supervision of a professional mechanic who is being paid a large sum of money by the hour. Is all of this adding up now? It is cheaper for a dealership to replace the transmission than it is to question and investigate the customer. They may save money in the short term if, after the investigation, they discover that it really was driver abuse, but if it really was a mechanical flaw and the customer's claim was completely legitimate, then they have pretty much lost a customer, not to mention all the money they would have spent if they had continued with their normal service schedule. Think about whether that customer will return to spend money in the future after essentially being called a liar. It may cost them money to replace the trans now but it is worthy investment in the future of the customer/dealership relationship. It is a way of further establishing a bond with the customer, ensuring that they return again for their major services (occurring at 30, 60 and 90k miles in most cases), which by the way are not covered by warranty and, depending on the vehicle, can be quite costly (I.e. Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, Infinity, etc.). Those are the ways the dealerships make good money off of customers. If they turned down every customer with a warranty claim then they would lose their customer base and have no business. Now am I saying that every average Joe can claim warranty issues and get away with it? No, of course I'm not. That would be idiotic. The company would be out of business in months. That is why there are specific parameters in which the warranties are created (3 yrs/36k miles in the case of Subaru and Honda. See http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp). What I'm trying to get through to you and everyone else is that every situation has its own set of circumstances which are considered when making decisions regarding large sums of money changing hands in return for services, especially in the automotive business. Of course if there is evidence stacking in the other direction, and trust me if there is a pro will catch it, then it will be brought up with the customer and deliberated via a service manager. This attitude about dealerships being all about money and nothing beyond has been so badly inflamed and swollen that it sickens me. I intend not to sway you all, just inform you of the facts.

Jason
I ride the white lightning.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-25-2006, 04:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Lil_G is an unknown
I gotst an '05 w/ 23K miles on it n' still no signs of a weak tranny. Sometimes I push it too hard, I admit. Of course I do got an auto so...
I love auto but I really miss the fun of the stick.
post #20 of 38 Old 07-25-2006, 04:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
The 4EAT is not the weak tranny. It is the slow tranny.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #21 of 38 Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Well your little tirade about how honest they are makes me warm and fuzzy the simple fact remains. It does not matter who you are, Subaru does not stand behind their transmissions or clutches. Period.

As for dealer honesty, how is this, my friend has a brand new honda minivan, he got it fully loaded. He bought the one that gets the best gas milage. He was getting good gas milage and then all of the sudden his milage tanked down to the mid teens. He should be getting upper 20s, and used to. He keeps on bringing it in to the dealer. They cannot find anything, I suggest to the dealer on the phone that the car is stuck in warmup mode, the dealer says that cannot be the cause and recommends an oil flush for $100. How can this man call himself a mechanic? How can you say that he was recommending that to really try to fix the problem. Please. He was trying to get them to spend money, and go away for a while. They don't want to do real diagnosis and fix problems. They want to make $$. Most people dont buy the same type of car over and over again, and they know it. Repeat business is not their bread and butter so what do they care if they piss you off and rip you off.
post #22 of 38 Old 07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_streak
I totally disagree Jive:eek: . I happen to work in service department for an automotive dealership.... blah blah blah
That doesn't change the fact that I've yet to see anyone get their WRX tranny replaced under warranty. Look on the boards... I think there is an overwhelming number of people who have had broken trannies and gotten little to no help for it. If some hard shifts and a %10-%20 increase in power can cause you to break the gears then something is definitely wrong. And if you're under the age of 35 (sometimes they make exceptions and go after those that are older) and bring in one of these cars to get the tranny fixed then chances are they are going to chalk it up to abuse and deny the claim. If you raise enough hell and the dealer fights for you, you might be able to get half of it covered. It sucks but it's the way things are and it is why I've decided to skip getting a WRX and go straight for the STI.

I guess every car has it's Achilles heal though... with the DSM it's the crank walk you can get, with the WRX it's the glass tranny, with the Evo it's the Mitsu spys that record your car and void your warranty... c'est la vie.

Moral of this story is that if you want to get something fixed, you gotta lie to your dealer and to SOA and remove all mods and cover up any traces that there were any mods on your car. Oh well. One member on this board brought in his car with mods on it and a busted tranny... they didn't even open up the tranny to look and basically told him it would not be covered. How do you explain that?

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #23 of 38 Old 07-25-2006, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Subaru stands behind clutches for the first 36k. Trannies, never. I got a service tech to tell me that he never does WRX trannies under warranty, the dealership calls them abuse. He was one of the coolest techs I have ever distracted from his work, plus I think he was bored with the work he was doing.

Well, my car is at shop number 2. I gernaded 3rd gear, and it is all sitting at the bottom of the tranny now.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #24 of 38 Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

need2boost is an unknown
still awaiting my rallispec tranny in my 06' hopefully the shorter gears will be better than those tall stockers. been down for two months cause of a toasted 3rd, third is usually the first to go because of the torque load and the length of the gear.
post #25 of 38 Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
As for the clutches, friend with an 06 toasted his at 10k miles. Warranty claim denied. Abusive driving.
post #26 of 38 Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Well yeah, but closer to 30k miles they warranty them. You just have to know when is too quick, and obviously when is too late.

Brent
post #27 of 38 Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
wow yes i had 3rd gear problem
post #28 of 38 Old 10-25-2006, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

vr4gasmtt is an unknown
Well with all this 06 trannys being weak like the 02's, makes me not want a 06 WRX.

Can someone please give accurate info on this matter? I've read several threads about this, and this thread seems to be the best out of them all.

Not to jack the thread but I'm looking for an 06 WRX TR for my next car, and I don't want to get it if I can't have a little fun in it. My friend has an 06 WRX TR I think, and he launches ALOT, at 5k. Not shure what mods he has, but it runs mid 13's.
post #29 of 38 Old 10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXScarlett is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXScarlett
i have a TR at about 4K but i dont beat on it. Nothings wrong with it. I plan on doing a swap or an upgrade on the tranny at some point but not because i think its weak but because i have goals.

2006 blue WRX TR

Exotic Car Care
215-260-2803
post #30 of 38 Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cyborgdude is an unknown
Hey would a 2005 STi Tranny fit into a 2006 WRX TR? If anyone knows cause i dunno if the engines are a little diffrent in fitment.