Potential WRX Owner - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

JoshA is an unknown
Potential WRX Owner

Hello all,

I am moving to Colorado from California for about a year and leaving my truck behind (blew damn engine ) With that said, I will be purchasing a car and have always wanted a Subaru WRX so I felt now is appropriate especially for the AWD in Colorado. I was looking at two used vehicles currently:

2008 WRX

Used 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX For Sale in Greeley, CO | VIN: JF1GH75628G803396

2011 WRX

Used Subaru Impreza WRX in Fort Collins, CO - Sedan 121596A | Serving Loveland, Greeley, Windsor

I was wondering if there is a thread to explain the differences between the years and if a 2011 is worth the $7000 extra with same mileage. Thanks all!

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jautry27 is an unknown
I'm not 100% on this, and I'm sure someone else will chime in eventually, but I would think the 2 main reasons that the 2011 is $7,000 more is for a few reasons, and a couple of these might just be personal opinions. I personally think that the 4 DR Sedan is a little more desirable than the 5 DR. Just my .02. The 2011 is barely over a year old. Maybe more b/c it still possibly has warranty time left on it? Not really sure. Also, and I know this from experience as a salesman, the closer a car gets to 5 years old, the harder it is to get it financed, so sometimes they will drop the price on an older car, not only b/c it is older, but they still want to try and finance it b/c that is where the dealerships make their money. So, in short, they drop the price to lure you in, so they can sell this car and still finance it to make their cut before they hit the parameters of where the banks will cut them off. The cut off for financing a car is usually 5 years or 90K-120K in mileage, but obviously you don't have to worry about that part.

My best advice, and I'm not sure if you are doing this or not, b/c lets be honest, most people don't have the funds to out right pay for a car, but if you can, I can teach you a little trick to get it at the better price. If you go in and tell a dealer you want to FINANCE a car, they are going to try and give you longer terms, which give them more money. The longer terms usually entice buyers, b/c it drops that monthly payment down. Now, at this point, they think you are financing, and when you do that, this is where you have the power to negotiate. What you do is you get them retail price you want it at, tell them you agree to the financing terms, but at the last minute, tell them you want to just pay for it in full right there. Watch and see how fast they try and change the price on you, but they cant. That is honestly, from a former salesman, the best way to get the price you want.

Worst case scenario, if you have to finance, take the shorter terms with higher payments. In the end, you will be glad you did. Lower interest, and less time paying. If they don't get you to a respectable range for your credit, just get up, tell them you are sorry, and walk out. See how fast they try and chase you out.

Also, and most people know this, you have the power to negotiate your trade in. They are NOT going to offer you Blue Book Value. When a dealership does a trade in appraisal, 99% of the time, they go off of Black Book Value, which is wholesale. You CAN NEGOTIATE your trade. If you go a dealer, and lets say for example, the blue book trade in value is $10,000, but the private sale price is $14,000, you should aim to be halfway between those 2 numbers on your trade in. If you aren't in too much negative equity, then you should push to have them give you enough on your trade in to break even, that way they wont tack on the negative equity of your trade in, to your new car. That is another way they try to raise the sale price, but this ONLY applies if you are still making payments on your current vehicle.

HOPE THIS HELPS FOR NOW....

Jason - 2007 WRX TR - Warning: Objects In Mirror Are Losing
#3 Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

JoshA is an unknown
Awesome thanks man for the help. I am already pre-approved so I was just going to go in with a check setup and discuss a price rather than financing.

I was just wondering when it pertains to power, tranny differences, etc compared to the 08 to the 2011. I am definitely a WRX noob. lol Thanks again.
#4 Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
In 09 the engine got revamped, and so the 11 would be your better choice as far as that goes. Some also think the cabin is much quieter in the sedan. The 11 also is a wider body over the 08.

Just a few minor things to think about.
Welcome to the site.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I seem to recall that Colorado was an area where prices are a bit higher because Subarus a more desired in that area. Can anyone add their 2 cents on this opinion?

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#6 Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The 11 also has more power and is more "refined" over the 08.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#7 Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

jhmason is more helpful than not
Other than what was said already about the power, and wider track. The suspension is a little bit sharper I've heard for the 11+. And they have a quad exhaust that comes with a nice rumble. And last but not least, the 11 looks a billion times better than skinny 08.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Mason
12 WRX Sedan OBP - RA mudflaps and stock!
12 Impreza Sedan Premium ISM - old lady's ride
#8 Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

tunertype is an unknown
To be more precise on the power, the 2009+ has 265hp and the 2008 has 225hp. they both have 2.5L engines. the difference is the turbo. It's the STI turbo. So very small mods required to get STI power out of an 09+ WRX. Also the WRX is lighter than the STI. That plus the 5 speed gear box vs the 6 and the 09+ WRX is as fast to 60 as the STI. The power does give the STI a slight advantage in the 1/4 mile, but not alot. The 08 and under WRX are considerably slower, like a full second or so to 60 and 1/4 mile.
#9 Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

JoshA is an unknown
Thank you all for the input. Most likely I am looking for a 09-11 then, maybe a 12 if I find something relatively cheap enough. I was wondering, is the sti worth it over the wrx? I found a low mileage 2011 sti and they are asking $34,000 for it as seen here.

Cars for Sale: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI in LOVELAND, CO 80538: Hatchback Details - 330251862 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks all.
#10 Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

tunertype is an unknown
If you can get them down alittle. Remember you are going to get 4-7% loan on a used car and 2-3% on a new car. so consider that in the debate. at 10k it's just broken in. so you can play with it as soon as you get it. base price on a new sti is 34k so might be worth it if you can get them down.

the main reason to get an sti is the 6 speed and other performance tech features that give you better traction/handling. power and 1/4 mile times not so much.
#11 Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A lot of people that get a WRX, tend to start looking at STi's for their next purchase. Myself included!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#12 Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

jhmason is more helpful than not
If your credit numbers are stellar and you have a low debt-to-income then a 2-3% is possible, my credit is tier 1, have about 10% debt-to-income and I was only able to get 4.79% through SOA & Chase. USAA, who I have been a member with for ages was much worse than that, all on a new car mind you. Banks aren't just giving loans away these days.

Major deferences between the STi and WRX, and with out getting to detailed, is HP, DCCD, suspension, brakes, transmission. You have to ask yourself, can you live with out those things. A WRX will never be as good as an STi, they are designed that way. Yes you can mod a WRX is be as good or better than a stockish STi. It all depends what you will use it for, what you really need out of this car. For me at this point in my life, a WRX was all I needed, yes I want an STi, but I don't want to pay 10k+ more to have one right now, don't need it and my wallet sure thanks me for it haha.

Mason
12 WRX Sedan OBP - RA mudflaps and stock!
12 Impreza Sedan Premium ISM - old lady's ride
#13 Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

JoshA is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmason View Post
If your credit numbers are stellar and you have a low debt-to-income then a 2-3% is possible, my credit is tier 1, have about 10% debt-to-income and I was only able to get 4.79% through SOA & Chase. USAA, who I have been a member with for ages was much worse than that, all on a new car mind you. Banks aren't just giving loans away these days.

Major deferences between the STi and WRX, and with out getting to detailed, is HP, DCCD, suspension, brakes, transmission. You have to ask yourself, can you live with out those things. A WRX will never be as good as an STi, they are designed that way. Yes you can mod a WRX is be as good or better than a stockish STi. It all depends what you will use it for, what you really need out of this car. For me at this point in my life, a WRX was all I needed, yes I want an STi, but I don't want to pay 10k+ more to have one right now, don't need it and my wallet sure thanks me for it haha.
Thank you for that, I do appreciate it. I was thinking cheaper used car, but currently Subaru is offering a 1.9% financing for the WRX. They have a 2013 (I believe) WRX on the way, but I am curious to see with that financing to pull off with an STI. I still am waiting to hear back from the dealer regarding that so that could be tossed out as an idea once I hear back.

Thanks again for all of the replies. Definitely is making me feel more comfortable towards my next purchase.
#14 Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunertype View Post
To be more precise on the power, the 2009+ has 265hp and the 2008 has 225hp. they both have 2.5L engines. the difference is the turbo. It's the STI turbo. So very small mods required to get STI power out of an 09+ WRX. Also the WRX is lighter than the STI. That plus the 5 speed gear box vs the 6 and the 09+ WRX is as fast to 60 as the STI. The power does give the STI a slight advantage in the 1/4 mile, but not alot. The 08 and under WRX are considerably slower, like a full second or so to 60 and 1/4 mile.
Your turbo is not an STI turbo. They are different fitments and the STI turbo is larger than your VF52. The WRX is faster than the STI in tested 0-60 times simply because the STI has to shift 1 extra time over the WRX before it hits that speed.
#15 Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Better differentials on the STI as well. Meaning the front Diff, center diff, and rear diff are all better in my opinion.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae