PLEASE HELP ... wheels newbie - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Beauty is an unknown
PLEASE HELP ... wheels newbie

I own a 2013 WRX LIMITED... I am looking into works xd9 wheels I am thinkin the 18" but what off set would be best especially with coilovers and would I have to roll them? Pease help!!!!

where to get 18"x9.0 5X100 work xd9 in white??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Well the xd9 does come in white but it's prob gonna be a hard one to find, ESP with an offset above 38et. I know there's multiple vendors on both NASIOC and eBay that sell Work wheels. Do some searching on both sites, grab the vendors names that have posted them for sale, and hit them up with your specific color/bp/width/offset requests.

And when you're speaking of offset here's my .02 on wheels for the WRX. Widening the wheel to a 18x9" wheel calculates to roughly 25mm in added overall width. That added width has to be distributed somewhere. About 12mm would be added to each side of the hub on an "imaginary" 53et OEM (trying to keep the explination easy) type of wheel. It just so happens that there's about 12mm of space left on an OE offset/width setup before the wheel would pass the edge of the wheel well. So if you could find an 18x9" wheel with an offset of 53et you'd be perfect....essentially. But I promise you there's no such wheel and that would never work on a lowered car...maybe not even an OE suspension setup due to added inside offset and height of an 18" wheel. So that's where the problem starts to come into play.

Almost any wheel that's 18x9" is going to be made with a 45et - 35et setup...I know it should be a crime against WRX's lol! If you added even say a 45et to an application like I described above, you'd now be 8-18mm past the fender. So that's why you see SO MANY people with wheels sitting outside the wheel well...cause that's where all the good options are for wheels...inside offset widths not good for our cars. And if you start putting those kind of offsets in play on a WRX it's greatly going to effect performance of the front end in multiple ways negatively and cause front end parts to wear out prematurely.

So basically, wheel companies need to start accommodating for Subarus ridiculous OE offset. I just wouldn't hold your breathe on that lol! I'd recommend staying with an 8" wheel and trying to find something between 53et - 45et at most! That'll effect your OE offset but not enough to drastically effect performance IMO.

I'm sure someone will chime in and help with the rolling of fenders info as I'm not very knowledged on it. I gotta say though that if you do go with an aggressive suspension setup, push out your offset aggressively, and roll your fenders...you're asking for trouble in many ways.

Best of luck OP I've yet to buy wheels due to the fact there's NO wheels to my liking withing my recommended specs above.

And sorry for the long winded explanation. Wheel width/offset is very hard to put in words....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan

Last edited by the RIOT act; 07-08-2013 at 07:14 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
There are few high offset choices at 9.0" of width and beyond but they do exist. OZ makes some 18x9.5" +55 I believe that fit, more or less. If you push things, be prepared to deal with your fenders. Tire size will matter on your final fitment.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Would that high of an offset still be ok with say...a set of Swift springs (.8") drop with the added wheel width Mosc? I'm very interested in these OZ's if so!

post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I think I'm forgetting these OZ's are 5x114 though, STi wheels not WRX wheels. The biggest widest wheels that have a reasonable offset in 5x100 I can think of are the Rota DPT's? They had a 18x9.5" dual drilled set, think the offset was +44. Not perfect, but not horrible. My memory's getting fuzzy.

Swift makes different springs, gotta be more specific man. Their standard lowering springs are pretty similar to the other ones on the market. Maybe a little less drop and more spring but not much.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The Swift Sport Spec-R will prob be my spring of choice. Getting a whole coil setup is ridiculous $$ and with kids AutoX is the last thing I get to enjoy anymore.

And those Rotas aren't too bad. My dilemma is trying to find something black w/polished lip. I'm probably going to have to let go of that thought to stay within the needed offset though. There's a couple I'd consider out there...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement