6Likes
  • 1 Post By arcticscythe
  • 2 Post By turmic
  • 3 Post By brfatal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 PM
wrx14

Please help

Hey guys new to the forum i really would like to buy a 14 wrx sedan but i keep hearing about people experiencing a problem with ringland failure in these cars with the 2.5l motor which makes me hesitant about buying one. If i were to buy one i would only get a cobb sf intake and an invidia q300 catback exhaust and get it tuned to stage 1 for the intake and thats it because i need it for a daily driver. Can somebody tell me the reliablilty on that setup and restore my faith in getting this car. Thanks and sorry for being a noob

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Who is telling you that and why?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM
wrx14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Who is telling you that and why?

Look into it ive been doing research on the car a decent amount of people have that problem on the wrx and sti

#4 Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
The engine is reliable. I ran one hard in stock form for 4 years without issue.

Enthusiasts seek out these autos because they are exciting to drive and easy to modify/customize. However, there are risks to modding any engine improperly, or using a lower Octane fuel than it was designed for. They take premium fuel. I suspect that this is the broader issue.

Forged pistons are stronger than the hypereutectic items that come standard from the factory, and it's this engine vulnerability that builders try to address when they open it up.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#5 Old 01-20-2014, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
wrx14,

/fatherly advice/ If this will be your first Subaru or your first WRX I strongly recommend driving the car stock at least 10,000 miles. It takes time to understand your baby, learn how she leans, learn what she sounds like when shes happy and when shes mad. If your treat her nice for the break in period and learn how it runs then when it comes time to MOD your car make decisions based on what you think it needs, not the same intake and exhaust package the rest of the world is running. /advice/

As far as the reliability of COBB and Invidia parts they are top notch, I've heard very little negative feedback on either of those companies. There have been cases where individuals have had less than stellar results but those are the outliers.

Intake and exhaust will not CAUSE ringland failure but over tuning a stock platform by running super lean or running to much boost on pump fuel will cause issues with any platform.

my recommendation is to drive the car stock until you know it inside and out, then go to a tuner and get a VERY CONSERVATIVE tune with the intake and exhaust of your choice.
LW_Black4 likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#6 Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx14 View Post
Look into it ive been doing research on the car a decent amount of people have that problem on the wrx and sti

Ringlands are hardly an issue. So, I don't know where you're reading that. But, it seems to be some bad info or misinformed info. The biggest issue is the pistons not being forged or a weak trans if your buying a older wrx. But, it takes some hard driving, lots of mods, or being a bad owner to actually cause anything to break on a Subaru.

BLAZE2099 and the RIOT act like this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 01-20-2014, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The ringland failure issue is all hype. I can guarantee you that +90% of reported failures are due to bad tuning, poor modding, poor gasoline, or improper maintenance. People like to take the easy route and blame the car rather than what they've done to it on their on free will.
turmic, the RIOT act and LW_Black4 like this.
#8 Old 01-20-2014, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
^ agree with the guys. I've seen one ring land failure around me. And the kids beats the piss out of his car.

I'm on my third WRX, I've never had any internal issues.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#9 Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 PM
wrx14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
^ agree with the guys. I've seen one ring land failure around me. And the kids beats the piss out of his car.

I'm on my third WRX, I've never had any internal issues.
Thanks guys i really apreciate all the help ill deff be picking up a 14 wrx asap. Until then thanks again i apreciate it

#10 Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sub14WRX is more helpful than not
Garage
I have my 14 WRX hatch, and I love it without no problems.