Subaru WRX Forum banner

Plasti Dip

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  GSMNZ 
#1 ·
does anyone know how does a 09 wrx looks with plastidipped wheels? is the plasti dip going to harm my wheels? what are the best techniques when it comes to painting rims? (my car is satin white pearl)

#6 ·
Powdercoating is worth it though as long as you aren't getting outrageous quotes like $100 per wheel. Mine were redone in the stock color and 7 years later they still look as they did the day they were refinished. They were professionally painted before that and were covered in chips in only a few months. Dip fades, falls apart, and can trap brake dust. So meh. :p

#7 ·
I like how temporary plasti-dip is. If you try a color and don't like it you can peel it off and start over.

I have dipped 3 sets of wheels in the last few years, none for my WRX. We did FRS wheels in glossy gunmetal, We did matte white wheels on a baby blue Saturn Redline and matte dark red on a black GTI.

If you plan on using the rattle can to spray them then i would stick with matte colors. We had a very difficult time getting the glossifier to smooth out on the gunmetal FRS wheels with the rattle can sprayers. I assume the professional paint sprayers do a better job.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to be super careful when you put the wheels back on so you don't scratch off the color around the lugs. We sprayed the lug holes with soapy water and used a clean lug socket.

What color is your WRX? We can help you find examples of cool colors.

#8 ·
I rattle canned my rims about 2yrs with high temp black paint and they only have a few chips here and there from road salt but besides that they still look pretty good.
I touched em up quick with the same paint and cant even tell.
At the car wash I blast the hell out of them and never had any problems of paint flying off.
I was thinking about dipping myself but kind of like the easy access to touch up if need be.

#9 ·
I did mine about a yr. ago lasted for almost a year and I liked it, you just have to know how to spray it. Best recommendation is to get the sprayer, it will help you alot with spraying the correct way and it won't hurt your fingers by directly pressing from the can.

I just had to take mine out, coz my "OC" dad sprayed a wheel cleaner and got messed up!! i was freakin' mad!!!! but damaged has been done, so I just decided to take it off. Believed me, taking it off was pain in the butt!! so, make sure you really wanted to do it! I still have some on the back of wheels and on the lug holes.

But, anyway just goodluck if you're pushing through with your project, have fun!

drive safely, buckle up!

#10 ·
Thank you guys so much I'll take note of that! I'm going to plastidip my wheels during the next week and hopefully when i get the money I'll think about powdercoating. I will post some pictures when the job is done, again thanks for the info and what an amazing forum.

Take Care, Always buckle up!

#12 ·
Oh how the dip game has changed and everyone is behind.
The new product they sell comes in so many colors, a bunch of which come in rattle can. Also the old glossifier is old news. It's still being made because a lot of people use it for different applications. But they have a new line of clear coat. It lays and looks 100% like standard clear coat. Peelability is spot on too :)

#15 ·
At the Wicked Big Meet there were a shit ton of dipped cars that looked incredible. The one above shown is just 1 of a bunch of awesome color schemes you can choose. They have a youtube page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.