Planning My Upgrades. NEED Feedback. Please Advise - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

TA_wrx is an unknown
Exclamation Planning My Upgrades. NEED Feedback. Please Advise

Hello All, This is my second installment on WRXTuners.com. Ive been doing a fair amount of research and learning and have come up with a [what I find to be] fairly comprehensive outline of my plan/goals for my 2012 WRX Sedan. If some of you would take a glance and give me some honest feedback that would be much appreciated. If something Ive written is misleading and/or confusing, please ask me about it and I'll try to reiterate my point. With that said here is my tentative upgrade schedule at this point. Looking to begin sometime this summer i.e. June/July if possible, depending on how much I value my warranty!
2012 WRX Upgrades:

1st Round – I would like to do most, if not all of these at once for the purpose of not constantly getting my car pro tuned mostly from a financial standpoint. I would like to know if the 1st Round upgrades are relevant and necessary for my goal of increasing HP into the 320HP - 350HP range. Am I missing anything crucial? Am I considering parts that are unnecessary based on my comments listed?

•Cat/Turbo Back Exhaust w/ Hangers – Aftermarket hangers preferred for optimum fitment
•Up Pipe and/or Downpipe – Depending on CBE or TBE.
•Cold Air Intake - Do I need this with these upgrades?
•Lightweight Pulley Wheel – Help with Rev time
•Post MAF Silicon Hose – Stand-in part for CAI?
•Turbo Inlet Silicon Hose – Airflow improvement
•Throttle Body Silicon Hose - Do I need this?
•Radiator and Silicon Hoses - Should Improve Cooling? Worth the Investment?
•Break Upgrade Kit: Rotors, Pads, Steel Lines (Not Brembo)
•Misc. Brushings/Mounts – Steering, shifter, and others. Goal simply to tighten up my stuff
•TMIC - When is this necessary? After turbo upgrade? For the long run, is FMIC preferred?
•Air/Oil Separator – Keep the system clean
•Spark Plugs and Wires – Worth the money?
•Gauges and Mounts/Pods – Boost, ETG, AFR, Oil Temp, Pressure, Etc. Which of these are most crucial? I plan on learning their purposes and applying their readings to real-time care for my engine.
•Suspension: I would like to upgrade suspension for handling purposes. How much would wheel spacers benefit?
oSprings
oShocks/Struts/Dampers
oSway Bars (Fr/R)
oEndlinks
oEtc. (Additional parts needed for full suspension upgrade)

*Notice I dont mention the Cobb AccessPort. I don't plan on doing any "Pseudo-tuning" on my car myself. I feel with my lack of experience this would just prove problematic if I got to tinkering too much on my own*

2nd Round
•Rotated Turbo Kit (WG Mounted to Turbo or Up Pipe?)
•Fuel Injectors
•Fuel Pressure Regulator
•Fuel Pump
•Lightweight Flywheel
•Performance Clutch kit
•FMIC
•BOV
•EWG
•EBC
•TGV Deletes

3rd Round
•Engine Internals
•Any additional supporting upgrades needed

I know theres a lot here but bare with me. This is TENTATIVE and subject to change at a moments notice. I have included "future plans" just to show my comprehensive research. If things could/should be moved around between 1st and 2nd Round, Please advise. (I call em rounds, you can call them stages or w/e you want!)

THANK YOU ALL WHO RESPOND!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

TA_wrx is an unknown
Don't everyone comment all at once and hurt yourselves!
#3 Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
All looks good (you've done your research). If you are doing a rotated setup or anything larger than a 20G in the near future, go with a FMIC right off the bat.

TB and rad silicone isn't necessary, but is a good idea for longevity... I'd pass for now until you have run out of upgrades for power/brake/suspension.

Stick to as close to stock offset/fitment as you can. Spacers should be a temp fix OR as a minor adjustment only.

EWG is prob your best bet if going to a larger turbo.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_wrx View Post
•Cat/Turbo Back Exhaust w/ Hangers – Aftermarket hangers preferred for optimum fitment

Almost any aftermarket cat back will be ok to install almost any time. If you also get an aftermarket downpipe, you'll need a Stage 2 tune right away (via AccessPORT, opensource, or protune). Aftermarket exhaust hangers are not always necessary. Research the exact exhaust you want and see what others have said about the fitment.

•Up Pipe and/or Downpipe – Depending on CBE or TBE.

Technically, the downpipe is part of the TBE (TBE = CB + DP, see above for comments regarding the dp). Skip the up pipe for now - yours is already catless and since you'll be going with an ewg in your next round of mods, you can upgrade your up pipe then since you'll need a modified unit for the ewg to attach to.

•Cold Air Intake - Do I need this with these upgrades?

Not completely necessary, but it would benefit you some. Since you'll be going rotated eventually, you might want to skip this, unless you're dead set on hitting the numbers you mentioned before

•Lightweight Pulley Wheel – Help with Rev time

Couldn't hurt.

•Post MAF Silicon Hose – Stand-in part for CAI?

Not necessarily a substitute for a CAI, but if you choose to stick with your stock box and a K&N drop-in filter, it couldn't hurt. It would be easy to resell if you keep it clean.

•Turbo Inlet Silicon Hose – Airflow improvement

No serious gains will be had here, but it'll help a little. You could probably skip this part since it will be useless once you go rotated.

•Throttle Body Silicon Hose - Do I need this?

Not really, I'd skip it since you'll probably eventually be going FMIC.

•Radiator and Silicon Hoses - Should Improve Cooling? Worth the Investment?

An all aluminum radiator is always a good idea - especially if you plan on keeping the car for a while. The stock plastic end tanks are known to crack, so it's mostly a safety mod. Plus, it will add a little bling under your hood if you like polished bits. Silicon hoses are mostly a bling mod too. Technically, silicone is more durable and will last longer than rubber, but most people upgrade the hoses for looks.

•Break Upgrade Kit: Rotors, Pads, Steel Lines (Not Brembo)

Good, good, and good. Don't forget some decent fluid.

•Misc. Brushings/Mounts – Steering, shifter, and others. Goal simply to tighten up my stuff

Polyurethane bushings are almost always a nice improvement over the stock rubber bushings.

•TMIC - When is this necessary? After turbo upgrade? For the long run, is FMIC preferred?

Any time after Stage 2 should be good. You could do it as an intermediate step between Stage 2 and upgrading your turbo or just when you upgrade your turbo. Since you'll be going rotated, you might want to skip this step since it's a relatively expensive piece and it will likely lose a significant amount of resale value.

•Air/Oil Separator – Keep the system clean

Great idea. No maintenance required.

•Spark Plugs and Wires – Worth the money?

Pugs yes, wires no. Talk to whoever is going to be tuning your car and see what they recommend.

•Gauges and Mounts/Pods – Boost, ETG, AFR, Oil Temp, Pressure, Etc. Which of these are most crucial? I plan on learning their purposes and applying their readings to real-time care for my engine.

I think this is very much a personal decision. Boost is probably the most common, followed closely by EGT and Oil Pressure. Many people also have a Wideband O2 sensor instead of or in addition to the other three. AFR is probably the least popular/useful of the gauges you listed. Mounting options are also very personal.

•Suspension: I would like to upgrade suspension for handling purposes. How much would wheel spacers benefit?

Unless you need an extremely small spacer to allow clearance between your wheels and brakes, skip them! Wheel spacers are detrimental to your handling and are mostly for looks these days.

oSprings
oShocks/Struts/Dampers

A good spring/strut combo is usually the way to go if you want good handling. Go with performance springs as opposed to lowering springs. Coilovers are overkill for a street-driven vehicle. Research this a little more.

oSway Bars (Fr/R)
oEndlinks

Excellent ideas!

*Notice I dont mention the Cobb AccessPort. I don't plan on doing any "Pseudo-tuning" on my car myself. I feel with my lack of experience this would just prove problematic if I got to tinkering too much on my own*

How will you be tuning for the aftermarket downpipe? How will you be tuning once you get your serious parts? Cobb AP, opensource, or protune? Some protuners require the AP to professionally tune your car. Figure out who will be doing your tuning and decide from there.

2nd Round
•Rotated Turbo Kit (WG Mounted to Turbo or Up Pipe?)
Usually up pipe
•Fuel Injectors
Required
•Fuel Pressure Regulator
Not really necessary
•Fuel Pump
Required. You could install this with your first round of mods since you don't need to tune for it
•Lightweight Flywheel
You might want to skip this since it causes some drivability issues. Read up on it a little more and decide if it's right for you
•Performance Clutch kit
Unless you plan on upgrading your gears, remember the golden rule of WRXs: stock transmission = stock clutch
•FMIC
This will allow you to make more power with an aftermarket turbo
•BOV
Stick with a recirculating BPV
•EWG
Sure
•EBC
A 3 port ebcs is probably the way to go
•TGV Deletes
Sure, you might also want to consider phenolic spacers.
You might also want to consider some tubular headers in your second round of upgrades to make the engine-back exhaust complete. Equal (more power, less torque) or unequal (less power, more torque) length is up to you.

My responses in this color

Sounds like you're going to have a pretty fun modding journey.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Planning My Upgrades. NEED Feedback. Please Advise

Man Show has a lot a great and accurate info regarding your first round. A Goal of 320-350hp isn't unreasonable for a stage 2 setup, but here's my 2 cents. With a turbo back (which includes the DP) and a CAI you should be right around 320hp I'd say tops if pushing around 18psi (which is where you wanna be) for a reliable setup. All that hosing you mentioned wont give you the other 30hp IMO, although looks really nice and all pretty cheap so roll with it if you want to. If you did the TMIC with your first round you'd be right around 360hp I'd say with no other supporting mods to it. Like mentioned, go with a FMIC if your hp goals are high and include turbo upgrades in the future. Just a heads up though! You absolutely wanna throw a BPV into your first round of mods. Ours start leaking around 18psi so save yourself the headache. And our TMIC is no better so that's absolutely the next mod if you don't include it in your first round. If you'd like a point if reference to a stage 2 setup with a protune check my profile. I'm safely pushing 305whp/355wtq at 18psi. You should hit 320-325hp though if you have the CBE in your mods which I don't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#6 Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

TA_wrx is an unknown
Thank you guys for your input! It really helps with the decision making on mods. I did fail to mention one thing in particular which I now realize would have been good information right off the bat. I do plan on using this car as a daily driver for a number of years. So that brings me to my next point (upon further reading/research): Is the idea of a rotated turbo upgrade kit possibly a little overkill for my vehicle? I feel like I'll be staying in the 350-380 WHP range (probably more on the lower end of that actually) when I'm done modding because I believe that running much more HP than that may result in more upkeep maintenance, thus more money. I dont think I want to deal with all the extra upkeep that could result from pushing that much HP in my engine. Would I be better off just finding a "plug-and-play" turbo that isnt rotated, but is larger and can generate the additional horses I'm looking for?
#7 Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you want to get the most for your money, your best bet would be to go straight to the final setup you want and get tuned once. Routine maintenance will be pretty much the same if you stay stock or upgrade your turbo with supporting mods. FWIW, I change my transmission fluid and spark plugs twice as often as is recommended, but those are low cost items in the scheme of things.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)