Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ordered my 09- no 6 speed for 2010

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Hey all-

Just ordered my 2009- will get to pick up this summer when I come home from Iraq on vacation. I waited until I got the word from my dealership that according to their sources, there will be no 6 speed for the WRX on the 2010 model. They couldn't tell me what will change for the WRX, but it does not appear to be much different from the 2009. Since this is coming from a dealership, this info will of course have to be taken with a grain of salt- but they could not even tell me when the official release for information on the 2010 WRX models will be out.

So- I ordered premium hatch with SPT exhaust, short shifter and bike racks. I hope to be living in Colorado Springs area after I am done here in Iraq, and will be getting into the mountain biking scene. Can't wait to drive my subie once I get it- will be nice upgrade from my 05 Mazda 6 which is a pain to put mods on. Had to install an ECU piggyback just for a CAI- talk about a touchy ECU.

Wish me luck-

-D

#4 ·
Well- I'm not in the service any more- did 10 years, and the last 4 months of that was here in Iraq where I met up with some contractors that offered me a job. Since my wife had just divorced me while I was here, I went ahead and got out and took the job. Except this time I will be here a year instead of only 4-6 months.

Can't really complain- money is good- hence the main reason I can buy a new car. I love the look/feel/handling of the 2009 hatch. On one of my test drives I had the dealer salesman hanging on for dear life going around the corners- he looked relieved to have me out of the drivers seat when we got back. Little disappointed to hear of all the engine failures- but looks like that issue has been taken care of. Was a little split over the 6 speed issue- but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I only plan on going as far as stage 2- maybe later pushing it up a little over 300 whp- but even stock it's such a nice upgrade over my V-6 Mazda that I should be good for awhile. I love to do my own bolt-ons and such, so it's nice to see a car that has a lot better aftermarket support and tuning. Will be my first turbo- and even AWD car, so I need to learn it well before I mess with it.

Will post pics if anyone cares to see once I get it- will be buying from Boise since Idaho is my current legal residence. Going for the silver color- overall will not want to draw too much attention. Also did not go for an STi (even though I could probably afford it) mainly for the price, but also because of the attention.

#5 ·
I have zero faith that a dealership would tell you ANYTHING honest about the 2010 WRX when they have none on their lot to sell you. They want to sell an 09 so obviously they make it sound like there's no advantage to waiting. That doesn't change the fact that it's a nice car though. Enjoy!

#7 ·
not only that...they usually dont know jack period...last week I went to subaru with one of my friends b/c i needed a new crank and I saw a 2003 impreza with an STi wing and fog covers that they thought really was an STi

#9 · (Edited)
I am not buying a WRX off the lot- had it ordered. I know that it probably still does not matter- they will tell me anything to get me to buy. Guess time shall tell if they really do or do not come out with the 6 speed. But I already know I like the car how it stands.... the 6 speed would have only been an extra bonus.

Edit: I saw the rumor about the 6 speed over on NASIOC- I guess the Legacy GT is going to get a 6 speed, so they were thinking that might bleed over onto the WRX. All rumor at this point of course. Would really like to see the info for the 2010 though.

#10 ·
Resurrecting this post for an update- I HAVE MY WRX!!!!

Picked her up yesterday and traded in my Pathfinder and Mazda 6s. Is it recommended to post pics on third party sites such as photobucket, or put in the post?

Dealership tinted the windows for me, plus I got the SPT exhaust and short-shifter, then added the bike roof rack.

-D

#12 ·
Congratulations Bizzle! Sounds like you're in for quite a treat when you finally get to Colorado Springs since you will have all those nice roads to tear up =D Even though you get to rip around in it now, haha. Did it end up being a 5 speed right? Thanks again for your service brotha. Times have been tight here in the states and I know many people who have taken jobs elsewhere for immediate income until things turn around, so bonus you got the offer out there. I don't know about the pics though, when I tried to post one and it asks for a URL I was at a loss since all mine are on the windows gallery, heh. Have fun and be safe!

#15 ·
Alright- I will get around to re-sizing and posting pics in the thread when I get the chance, but here is a link to the recent pics on photobucket- think my tint is too much? I think it offsets the dark wheels pretty well. I also tried ordering the mud flaps, but because the 09s come with the ground effects, the factory mudflaps will not fit- bummer. There any aftermarket ones that can fit? Looking for black plastic/rubber looking ones.

Enjoy!!

Pictures by rbizzle_09 - Photobucket

#17 ·
Standard prices found online at the Subaru website- Think total amount for the car was $31k- I know, I know- really close to the STi in price. I had the money to burn for an STi, but I didn't want the long term expense of one, plus I wanted more of a clean sleeper look.

Exhaust is just shy of $900 I believe, and the short-shifter around $250. They ordered the car with those components from factory, so I didn't have to pay dealer install fees. Plus this is a Premium model that also has the 6 disc changer (already looking to swap that out- and speakers) and an i-Pod interface, which I am pretty certain will not work with my Zune- despite the dealership saying it will. Not sure I want to risk it.

Oh- and the roof rack plus bike rack was like another $500 or so- should explain why I am paying so much. The dealer had the windows tinted- for about $180. They say it's a 20% tint- which is technically illegal here in ID and most other states I hear. So we shall see if I am forced to remove it.

Bit bummed out I cannot get the mudflaps, and now I can not get the hood guard- they say it will interfere with the hood scoop getting good airflow for the intercooler. Go figure....

-D

#22 ·
Well- you won't be seeing me any time soon now. Had to head back out to Iraq again for another 6 months, so the car is being baby-sat by a long time friend in northern CA.

If you're still interested in the i-Pod interface, I will probably be changing out the deck in March or April- should be back in the Boise area by then to visit my daughter. Have to start looking for a job again- which sucks, but at least my car will be paid for!!

-D

#23 ·
Update on the 2010 WRX-

The Subaru website finally posted some info on them, and it appears the 2010 loses the rear limited slip differential, loses some cubic feet of interior and gains 50-something lbs. There were some other minor changes, but how much of how the car handles will be affected by losing the rear diff?

Doesn't make much sense to lose parts and still gain weight- I did a comparison on the website against the 09 and 10 premium 5 door models- thinking I am glad I got the 09 instead of waiting....

-D

#24 ·
Cost savings? That's terrible...more power and less ability to handle it. Open diffs the whole way around will suck in bad weather. FTL. Maybe they're trying to make people buy STIs. ROFL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.