Oil Temp vs Pressure Gauge - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

earispe is an unknown
Oil Temp vs Pressure Gauge

I am going to buy an Autometer bezel for my WRX so that I can have a boost gauge incorporated into the dash rather than sticking out of the steering wheel column or the a pillar and will have an empty spot for a second gauge.......My problem is that I dont know what would be more important? Oil Temperature or Pressure???? What do you guys think? any suggestions???? THANKS

SORRY FOR THE NEWBIENESS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx3r is more helpful than not
i decided to run the oil pressure gauge.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 07:55 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
I'd go with the Oil pressure as well.... Also look at an EGT guage... pretty helpful in monitoring your engine.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #4 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Taras is an unknown
I know stupid question, but whats egt guage? Dont the oil presure guage usualy leak?
post #5 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

car_doper is an unknown
a check engine light will come on once the oil pressure is low, so i would hold off on that. i know that it comes on a little late, but i would hold off anyways.

oil temperature lets you know when the oil is warmed so that you can get on it without burning up things.

egt lets you know how what the exhaust leaving the cylinder heads is. this can be the first clue that you are close to burning a piston and blowing a motor due to detonation.

if i had a choice between 2 gauges, i would get boost and egt. (a matter of fact, i also just go the autometer bexel gauge cluster thinga mijigy. i already have boost, and i am getting the egt gauge tomorrow.)
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^^you can tell when you car is warm w/ an oil pressure gauge as well. there for the oil pressure gauge almost does two things for you. while the oil temp does one. plus the idiot light that turns on when oil is low def. comes on way too late. its going to come down to what YOU think will work for you. i just think the oil pressure gauge is a better choice. EGT= Exhast Gas Temp
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^^ just re read your post. sorry just realized you only have room for two gauges. i would suggest boost and either EGT or oil pressure, and all three if you have the pod for it.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

car_doper is an unknown
if you are going to run pretty much a stock car, then i wouldn't worry about gauges.

if you are going to run something like a cobb stage 2 OTS (Off the Shelf) map, then i would get boost, oil pressure, then egt.

if you are going to get an upgraded turbo and/or a protune, then i would get boost, egt, then oil pressure.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

earispe is an unknown
OK here is another one.......Im leaning towards the oil pres. but now should I look at mechanical or electrical gauge?? people tend to think that the mechanical is more reliable but its such a pain to install.....its the extra aggravation worth it, or does an electrical type work just as well??

Ohh by the way Thanks for all your responses...
post #10 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

i would heavily suggest and electrical one. to my understanding if the mechanical one leaks it shoots hot oil all over inside the car. now, i have never witnessed this, but it was disscussed on a board and shyed me away enough to get the electrical one.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

car_doper is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by earispe
OK here is another one.......Im leaning towards the oil pres. but now should I look at mechanical or electrical gauge?? people tend to think that the mechanical is more reliable but its such a pain to install.....its the extra aggravation worth it, or does an electrical type work just as well??

Ohh by the way Thanks for all your responses...
I am not too sure about the oil pressure gauge, but with the other gauges, you have this backwards. Mecahnical gauges require you to tap into the existing line (or whatever depending on the gauge). Electrical gauges require the same plus they require you to tap into an electrical supply.

For instance with the boost gauge using the Defi electrical gauges (expensive but very good and accurate), you have to tap into constant hot, hot with ignition on, illumination, and ground, then you have to tap the sensor into the BOV. With the boost gauge using the Autometer mechanical gauges, you only need to tap into hot, ground, and BOV.

I bought the Defi electrical gauges, and I think that they are awesome. They have a 2 minute record, remember peak, have a warning light, and are very accurate. These are small features that are pretty cool.

If you do go electrical, tap into the wires mentioned above using your clock. Each wire is labeled on the back of the clock. If you go mechanical, then you can also tap there using ground and illumination.

No problem and have fun installing.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jamo06TR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Jamo06TR
go with oil pressure

jamopwnsu