Noticed my '11 WRX gears are very rough/grinding like when changing gears - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

xabre1200 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to xabre1200 Send a message via MSN to xabre1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
It's probably Subarus' way of saying... don't shift so fast... ### this tranny is like glass.

There are plenty of aftermarket shtuff to help smooth it all out... Mainly fluid.
How fast is shifting too fast because I can still feel the resistance or rubbing when I shift very slowly. I'm not shifting like they do in the fast and furious but I still get resistance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I bet it is just because there is a really thin transmission fluid in your tranny. Try changing your trans fluid to like a synthetic or something. If the fluid isn't thick or clingy enough then you will free every movement of your gears.

Mike
#18 Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

blue REX 9 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to blue REX 9
didnt you take it to the dealer today ? what did they say when they drove it? its kinda hard for all of us to say or give advise on something we cant hear or feel dude we can only really give suggestions but you ultimately have to make a decision . resistance is ok grinding baaad lol in all foward gears reverse is i believe a strait cut gear and sometimes requires to fully let out the clutch and then fully engage the clutch if you have a stock clutch. it takes time to learn your car though man . let us know what happens at the dealer though
#19 Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

xabre1200 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to xabre1200 Send a message via MSN to xabre1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue REX 9 View Post
didnt you take it to the dealer today ? what did they say when they drove it? its kinda hard for all of us to say or give advise on something we cant hear or feel dude we can only really give suggestions but you ultimately have to make a decision . resistance is ok grinding baaad lol in all foward gears reverse is i believe a strait cut gear and sometimes requires to fully let out the clutch and then fully engage the clutch if you have a stock clutch. it takes time to learn your car though man . let us know what happens at the dealer though
Ah yeah I had to cancel my appointment today due to something that came up at work, I couldn't take time off. I was going to reschedule to next week but after getting some more responses from you guys I guess it is normal. I tried the going into 2nd gear and then into 1st trick and it does seem to lessen the resistance.

I was just a little surprised that a brand new gearbox would have so much resistance when I compared it to my 91 300zx 5speed which was buttery smooth in every gear except going into 5th.

I might just drop by my dealer sometime after work next week just to ask the service guys if it is normal but for now, it seems like it's alright.
#20 Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Don't all new subies come with the subie "s" fluid ?

If so, it's not bad at all. It's no redline that's for sure... but it does the job.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#21 Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabre1200 View Post
But you were not able to go into reverse in your brand new WRX? Is that normal? And has the resistance gotten better over time?
It is normal. The WRX trans is fully synchronized with exception to reverse. That means if you try to get into reverse and the gears aren't lined up, the gear will just hit the next and not go in. The easy solution is to be rolling a little bit in either direction; or put the shifter in neutral, let off the clutch, and it'll go right in.

-Chris
#22 Old 11-05-2010, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
^^^ Yep. I just had to move the car a hair forward and then it went right into reverse just fine.

Steve ... '11 WRX H/B ... Perrin Stage 2
#23 Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXJESS is an unknown
Did you ever find out what was wrong?