Not losin this one to the law - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2003, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sabrefanpc is an unknown
Not losin this one to the law

Hey all, what exactly can I mod and what can I not to keep my ride street legal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2003, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

P0S3R is an unknown
When I was in my permit class (yes, I'm young, I just got my lisence), we had these to CHP officers come and talk to us about modifications. Basically what they told us, is that EVERYTHING - with the exception of wheels - is illegal. They also told us that CHP would pull modified cars over, and check them for mods. Now probably most of this proably just to scare us about street racing, but most engine modifications are illegal by law. That's why all the catalogs and sites and stuff say: *For offroad use only*. I guess if you got dealer installed parts it would be ok, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I am a noob, so please correct me if I am wrong.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2003, 07:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_STi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX_STi
Laws vary state to state. So you might wanna check with the state DMV website. Goodluck!
post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2003, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

rexwagonee is an unknown
always check local laws first, then check state. a good rule or thumb is to ask yourself whether the mod makes the car less safe than stock. anything that obscures the view of the road, or might cause the car to explode is not a good bet. NO tanks in the trunk are illegal because of this. racing slicks are not legal and neither are racing rims. i'm not talking about pro street rims, i'm talking about 10lbs rims that will crack with the most shallow of pot holes.

civil responsibility is another story. if you get into an accident with a modified car you may been in for some really bad times.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-22-2003, 02:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

sUbFuZioN is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to sUbFuZioN
you dont even need to check the law in cali... anything to your car will get you a fix it haha.. anyone have privatre property we can play on? haha
post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2003, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

manato is an unknown
what? so...what about my Greddy Evo and the carb approved intakes?
they have been carb-ed! ><
post #7 of 11 Old 05-03-2003, 11:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally posted by P0S3R
When I was in my permit class (yes, I'm young, I just got my lisence), we had these to CHP officers come and talk to us about modifications. Basically what they told us, is that EVERYTHING - with the exception of wheels - is illegal. They also told us that CHP would pull modified cars over, and check them for mods. Now probably most of this proably just to scare us about street racing, but most engine modifications are illegal by law. That's why all the catalogs and sites and stuff say: *For offroad use only*. I guess if you got dealer installed parts it would be ok, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I am a noob, so please correct me if I am wrong.
Ponch and John were pulling the class's legs BIG time. If an item has been certified by CARB for California Air Research Board it is legal in ALL 50 states to be installed on your car. If it says Off-Road Use Only it is most likely illegal in most states.

Here in MI we don't even do emissions testing anymore. They stopped about 10 years ago. Things like neon are illegal though. It will of course also depend on how large of an a$$ the cop is too.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2003, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

chirijaden is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to chirijaden
Stretching the truth

Many people seem to be stretching the truth here. Not every modification you do to your car is illegal. I do not know where you heard this from, but this is blatantly wrong. I am in Ohio presently, and as far as I know there are very few things that are illegal. Nitrous for example is illegal to be used, but not owned. Incredibly tinted windows is another one, and of course the biggest one is not having any cats on your car. Seeing as WRX's have three you should be in good condition. I mean there are cars out there that can do 11 second times, and they are still street legal. And finally as further proof, if modifying your car was illegal, think of all the people that would be in jail for having a louder than normal muffler. Whoever told you this is a liar, and should never be trusted.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2003, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

manato is an unknown
not all modification should be illegal thats true. aftermarket parts are everywhere! look at kragens or Pepboys. Head lights they sell, rims that they sell. fuel filter everything. if it didn't come with the car then its aftermarket. Sylvania white light bolbs didn't come with my 94 camry. but will that make it illegal if i buy thoes?
i know that in lights you look for DOT approved stuff. if it says DOT then its ok. cops gives you thumbs up.
what happens if your intake exhaust is carb approved? Carb isn't as important as DOT????
Cops will only endorse DOT and not carb???
post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-2003, 05:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

GotBoost? is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to GotBoost? Send a message via Yahoo to GotBoost?
DOT is actually for more than just lights or tires....it is the "Department Of Transportation". (DOT approved means that it is approved for on-highway/road use.)
CARB- is the California Air Resources Board. (They are an organization that regulates the EMISSIONS of vehicles, or parts for vehicles that could possibly affect the emissions of a vehicle. But that is a California thing.)
You should alwayz check your LOCAL laws if you have questions, because the laws vary greatly from state to state, and CA has some of the most strict laws in the country when it comes to vehicles.

This I know for a fact. (having to deal with these exact types of situations, and CHP....[modified exhaust, window tint, lighting, lack of mud flaps with oversized tires, open element air filter, hot air pickup tube missing, timing advanced too much, etc......] with my other vehicle.)

-GotBoost?

ummmmmmmm, do I have to write something?
post #11 of 11 Old 06-02-2003, 02:43 PM
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A lot of lighting, especially red and blue, will be illegal. Some states won't allow some aspects of the engine to be swapped. Most states limit how much cars can be lowered or raised too. Check local laws. As an example, ALL neons are legal in South Carolina, as are basically all engine mods, but cars can only be raised or lowered 6 inches from stock, with no more than a 6 inch difference between the front and back.

RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement