Not liking my 2002, any suggestions? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx noob is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to wrx noob
Not liking my 2002, any suggestions?

So a little background. Ever since WRX's came out i wanted one. Finally 2 years ago i bought a 2002 wrx wagon. I wanted a WRX because they were supposed to be fast and fun to drive. The 2002 wrx wagon isn't either of those. I think this has largely to do with the fact its an automatic. It feels like a gutless toyota camry until the turbo kicks in (which takes a while). I don't feel like it would be a good investment to start upgrading it since its an automatic. I could sell it for a good price right now since its in good condition and has relatively low miles.

So know me and my wife have a little more money and better jobs i want to upgrade to something.

I guess my main question is should i get a 2006 or so WRX and put about $2000 into it to make it faster or should i get a 2004-2005 STi? It would be about the same price. Im leaning more towards the 2006 wrx since insurance would be cheaper and its easier to find one that hasn't been treated badly.

If i got the 2006 i would probably do the COBB stage 2 kit (open for other suggestions).

now i don't want a total race car. just something that is fun to drive and can win most traffic light races. Something that can keep up or beat my friends audi TT would be even better.

So any thoughts would be appreciated. If you have suggestions on what parts to upgrade on the 06 or if you think the STi would be better please explain

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second, you should probably avoid mentioning any kind of street racing activities as it's against forum rules and completely illegal.

Now... both the WRX and STi are great cars. The STi is great because it's fast without having to modify much of anything and it's also a great and reliable platform if you decide to go crazy with mods. Keep in mind that it will probably cost you more money to keep up with regular maintenance because the Brembo brake pads and rotors are costly, the transmission holds slightly more fluid, and other parts on it are just bigger and better (not to mention insurance will probably be slightly higher - but to know for sure, contact your local insurance agent). WRXs are also great cars because you can modify them to Stage 2 or slightly beyond for a reasonable amount of money and they'll pack a pretty good punch and still be able to function as a reliable daily driver year-round.

There really are tons of factors involved in this decision, so your best bet is to just find several cars that you might be interested in buying and we can help give you some pros and cons to help with your decision. Obviously, stock or close to stock cars are probably a better buy. It's not just a simple choice of "this year" vs. "that year" or "this model" vs. "that model" since most of them are modified and/or molested to some extent, but I'm sure most of us would be happy to help you make your decision if you could narrow it down to a few specific cars.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Any STi or 09+WRX.

Honestly if you look at 06+ STi's or a used 09/10 WRX they'll be pretty close in price.

-Chris
#4 Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Convert the car you've got to manual, bring it up to stage 2, and put some sway bars on it. The TT will be toast. That's what I'd do If you go that route, I'd be glad to help. Bug-eye wagons are the best
#5 Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I can vouch for the 02-5 (4eat) WRXs being slow (even compared to a stock 06-07 wrx). My wifes is kind of boring to drive. If all you are going to do is stage 2 either platform is a good one. But if you do plan to go farther some would argue the STI is better (mainly the tranny and some other nicer things that dont need upgraded as soon as a WRX). Either is a great car, and very capable year round.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx noob is an unknown
thanks guys

I can't afford a 2006 STI. If i got an STI it would have to be 04 or 05. My budget is going to be about $16,000 right now. We just dropped $25,000 on a 2007 toyota tacoma for my wife(her dream truck and she graduated from nursing school so she gets to pay and choose) so can't afford another
$25,000

I have narrowed it down to 06 for the bigger engine and i like the looks. If i got an STI i would keep it stock since it already has enough power.

So maybe you guys could help this way... If i were to get an 06 wrx then what would you guys do to it to get the most bang for my buck? i may be able to put aside $3000 but closer to $2000 would be best.

so far im thinking the stage 2 package from COBB. Any other cheaper upgrades that would be beneficial? would i need to get it tuned after the stage 2 upgrade?

thanks again guys. I don't want to make the same mistake i made the first time.
#7 Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well the problem is... The 06 wrx still has pretty much the same power as the 02. You can go "stage II" with your current one and it won't feel much different than doing it to the 06. A bit more torque may come out of the deal but I think you're gains will be marginal at best.

-Chris
#8 Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Well the problem is... The 06 wrx still has pretty much the same power as the 02. You can go "stage II" with your current one and it won't feel much different than doing it to the 06. A bit more torque may come out of the deal but I think you're gains will be marginal at best.
A stock wrx just doesn't feel like a race car. You can expect similar acceleration to a stock V6 Ford Mustang, VW GTI, Audi A3/A5, Honda Civic Si, Hyundai Genesis 2.0, etc regardless of which wrx you get until the bump to 265 (and even then the increase is marginal).

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#9 Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx noob is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
i wouldn't want to go through the hassle of switching mine to manual though. seems like it would be easier to just sell it and get a new one while i can still get a good amount out of my old one.
#10 Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx noob is an unknown
ok guys, maybe found one. The best part is he is looking to trade for my 2002 wrx wagon plus $6000. I have a friend who is a mechanic who can inspect it since it was in an accident. Its a STI and sounds to be well maintained.

ksl.com - Car Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

what do you think?
#11 Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I think that is a ridiculous price and you should jump on it immediately if it checks out.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#12 Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

bugeyebandit is an unknown
Yeah, that is a good price.. I would jump on that too if it checks out.

I read somewhere that the automatic tranny may not be faster, but can hold way more power then the 02 manual transmissions with out changing out the internals. If you added the power to you bogeyed wagon, you might be just as happy.
#13 Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Offer that guy to trade +3000 bucks and get the STi... or get an 06 WRX and go stage 2 now, 3 or more later on...
#14 Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

I don't know the guy but he's pretty active on the slcsubaru.com forum and he posted it there as well. It's a legit STi dude. He is really just trying to get rid of it. He even said 14,500 for any member of slcsubaru

slcsubaru.com • Login

-Chris
#15 Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
The following message was reported to the moderators instead of being posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyebandit
Yeah, that is a good price.. I would jump on that too if it checks out.

I read somewhere that the automatic tranny may not be faster, but can hold way more power then the 02 manual transmissions without changing out the internals. If you added the power to you bogeyed wagon, you might be just as happy.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae