Noob looking at mods - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-29-2008, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

ovk2k5 is an unknown
Noob looking at mods

So from browsing the forums, I found the "Complete Mod Guide" or whatever from Kobi, great work by the way, What I am wondering is if I replace the up-pipe, which I would def like to, will it trip my check engine light? I see that there are like 1,000 different cats in the car lol, so if I leave the one in the mid-pipe (which seems to be the only one not COMPLETELY necessary of the up, mid, or down to replace) and replace the up and down pipes with catless ones, will I still pass a NYS inspection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I assume you have an 02-05. If you don't, you don't have a cat in your up pipe and there's no reason to replace it.

The 02-05 up pipe cat does cause a CEL if you yank it. You can put a resistor in there or get some EM to remove the CEL. No inspection is going to notice it if there's no CEL, it's a well hidden piece of pipe.

Are you doing just the up pipe? It gives no performance gains. It's usually done before putting on a larger turbo. If you still have a stock turbo and stock exhaust piping behind it, it won't do a damn thing.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

ovk2k5 is an unknown
I'm about to buy an 04. I plan on doing a cat back system right away and a bigger turbo eventually.

Edit:
And my uncle will be doing the inspection so I just have to make sure there is no CEL
#4 Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
well, it just saves face. that the cat didn't get sucked through your turbo and shred the turbine wheel. That's probably why he's considering it. I'm thinking of getting those oil screens pulled out of the turbo. so, something stupid doesn't happen with them and have them fry my turbo.
#5 Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you are getting a CBE thinking to get power out of it, you wont. They are basically for the look and sound of things. Like Mosc said, up pipe is safety. The downpipe will net you the best power before swapping in a bigger turbo.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

dncoo8 is an unknown
hey, i've got an 03 wrx and was wondering the same thing..i wanted to get a TBE so should i look for one with a built in High Flow Cat? i know TurboXS makes one like that?
#7 Old 02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
You could go with catless or catted. Depends on how much you want to spend and if you care about the smell or not. You just need to get tuned for it either by COBB AP, ECUTEK, etc.
#8 Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncoo8 View Post
hey, i've got an 03 wrx and was wondering the same thing..i wanted to get a TBE so should i look for one with a built in High Flow Cat? i know TurboXS makes one like that?
I made this thread for you:
Catalytic Converters (CATs), Emissions Testing, Emissions CELS, and you.
We get this a lot.

This is an old thread, lets let it die. LOCKED

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Closed Thread