Noob to high HP questions...600+ - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLAZE2099

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-23-2013, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Claythrow is an unknown
Noob to high HP questions...600+

Will be picking up an STI in the next few days that does 618 to the wheels, but a measly 550 currently. Is it normal when starting a car like this to have to feather the gas pedal for 20 seconds or so before it will idle on it's own? Just want to make sure. It's a destroked engine if that matters.

Also, I looked this up, but more assurance wouldn't hurt. It has an Exedy Stage 5 Clutch in it. Triple disc, ceramitallic. When clutch is engaged there is a swirling, metallic noise that I guess is from the 3 discs spinning free. Evo forums seem to confirm this, but just wanted to make triple sure (no pun intended) this was the case.

Lastly the cutback is full 3" Megan Racing exhaust, extremely loud. Is there a 3" axle back I could swap that out with to make it less "crazy!" Or does where the car sits HP wise just mean that it's going to be loud no matter what I do?

I'd like to keep the 3" flow, but something significantly quieter. Was looking at Mad Dad, but it's pretty damned expensive. Any other brands I should look at?

The headers are EL, but still it's damn loud, I mean freaky loud. I don't mind low end rumble, but this is a much higher frequency insane volume. When I help people with their WRX/STI's in my garage, there is seldom an exhaust that I don't think is a little too loud, but they are mostly all low end rumble. But ANY of those would be an improvement over this. Any suggestions? Want to keep as much performance as possible, but cut about half the volume as well...if that's doable. You can't even have a conversation near this car when it's running. & where I live, I'm most certainly going to get ticketed for it.

All else with the car was great. Those 3 items, mostly the exhaust noise I'm looking for direction on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
600 HP?
Noob?
the RIOT act likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Who are you buying it from? Have you tried to ask these questions to the previous owner?

Do you mean when the clutch is disengaged?

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#4 Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My phone won't show me your mod list.
Megan catback on a car with that much money in it has me lost too???

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
600hp sounds like it isn't a DD. What are you trying to attain with this car? DD? track?

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
#6 Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Claythrow is an unknown
Jkas - It's not a DD. Wasn't built to be one, won't be used as one. Just a fast street car for fun driving. Will never be dragged or tracked. Just don't want an obnoxiously loud car around town.

BLAZE2099 - I don't have a mod list up yet, as I haven't actually handed over the $ yet. Thats why I'm asking the questions. I was way off on the exhaust, APS I believe. For a quick mod list -

EJ25 block destroked to 2.3l, JDM version 7 2.0l crank, 100mm wiseco pistons,full darton sleeved (bored/honed/line honed w deck plate),Kelford cams R-199-d,ACL race bearing set, ARP head studs, Supertech stainless steel valves (nitride coated), Dual valve springs/ TI retainers, FiveOmotorsports 1200cc side feed, Perrin Fuel Rails, Gates race belt, GT4094R Twin Scroll t4, AMS front mount intercooler, AMS IC piping, MVS 38mm dual waste gate, T4 twin scroll up pipe, AEM Standalone EMS (stock ECU too), EXEDY stage 5 triple disc cerametallic clutch kit(200mm disc, 24tooth
spline), APS race exhaust

sleepr- Yes, a little help, not a lot. The questions are pretty general though, no? The clutch, I meant when you push the clutch pedal.

BLAZE2099- "Noob" here, I like Nasioc but I like this vein of knowledge for a change. Not a "Noob" to power, (American muscle) but am a "Noob" to this much power in these. Before I caught the AWD bug I did several cars, since then I've built a couple WRX's, not much over 300HP. Basically made 2.0L STI's with a couple engine mods (forged pistons etc) I also help local people with repairs, mods etc as I have an engine lift, motor stand etc. I've done 3 motors in these & a tranny. I know my way around cars & especially this car pretty well now. Helping build a track WRX at the moment too. This car I'm talking about, will be purchased the way I described. This car I happened to find for sale & it was built by some people in my area who I trust. Did 618 to the wheels. A safer tune is now set to 550.

All I want is to find a different axle back that is not as loud...a compromise. & the feathering the gas when starting, is that an ECU problem or just comes with this HP? Very common in American cars, but never seen it in these, I think because I've never been at this power level?

The clutch I'm certain enough on. Every board Ive looked at says these triple disc clutches when disengaged make noise, so I've satisfied that question.

I guess mostly just looking for suggestions on a quitter axle back. This car will be a 8 mo a year weekend type driver, I just don't want that kind of exhaust volume heading out for ice cream with my wife.

In case it's not clear, I've built a few of these already & another one right now, but this one I'm talking about was just built in March, being sold with the mods I listed plus some. ISC racing suspension is in there too.
#7 Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
no worries, just curious...

I don't have experience with multiple exhaust systems, however, this search result might give you a place to start at least.

Subaru WRX Forum - Search Results

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#8 Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Claythrow is an unknown
Here is the car I'm talking about.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7876385&type=3

Beautiful, isn't she? Sleeved (these aluminum blocks are very problematic compared
To other materials, RS hood and trunk, and look at the dunk graphs. I've never seen a line like that on any car I've worked on.
#9 Old 12-24-2013, 01:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Claythrow is an unknown
Almost full mod list.

EJ25 block destroked to 2.3l,
JDM version 7 2.0l crank,
100mm wiseco pistons,
full darton sleeved (bored/honed/line honed w deck plate),
Kelford cams R-199-d,
ACL race bearing set,
ARP head studs,
Supertech stainless steel valves (nitride coated),
Dual valve springs/ TI retainers,
FiveOmotorsports 1200cc side feed,
Perrin Fuel Rails,
Gates race belt,
GT4094R Twin Scroll t4,
AMS front mount intercooler,
AMS IC piping,
MVS 38mm dual waste gate,
T4 twin scroll up pipe,
AEM Standalone EMS (stock ECU too),
EXEDY stage 5 triple disc cerametallic clutch kit(200mm disc, 24tooth
spline),
APS race exhaust
AndrewTech 6MT,
DSS axles,
DSS Driveshaft
LSD Differentials
ISC Full Race Suspension.

So, yeah, certainly not a DD I don't mind a thing about it except the noise. It's track exhaust loud.
#10 Old 12-24-2013, 03:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
Noise can be fixed. You can purchase a different axle back like you want to. You can also put in a electric cut-out if you so desired. As for a brand to simply quiet it down from the APS system. Borla hush or, stromgard(spelling), maddad(as you mentioned)or tanbe touring medallion(a bit loud, but nice).

As for the clutch stuff. Sorry I wish I could help you with that. Currently in the process of learning stage 4 with hydraulics.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
#11 Old 12-24-2013, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

That is sexy.
What's the price?
2.34, KEITH!!!!!

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#12 Old 12-24-2013, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Claythrow is an unknown
It's DAMNED sexy.

The car is also no joke. I've driven STI's with a bonafide 450whp...but this thing, this thing is an animal.

It feels a bit like my neighbors Chevelle with the 454 in (You want to talk sexy) You sit in the car & it is just screaming "Let's GO!" Never seen that in these cars, part of what prompted my questions. Driven the C7's, LT1's & Z06's & only the upgraded ones felt like this...this car, wants to be pushed. It's just a beast demanding to be let loose. An amazing build.

The clutch I'm certain now is just the nature of the clutch. I've researched it to death. That Chevelle I mentioned you can pull a groin muscle depressing the clutch. This triple disc however has MASSIVE amounts of clamping pressure, it's made for high torque, 600+hp applications. But the clutch feels lighter & quicker than a stock clutch.

As for the price, I'm not telling till I have it in hand : ) You can guess if you want : )

The kicker is APS makes a silencer but you can't get it here, according to them. Baffling. I suppose once I get it, any silencer that is the right size should do the trick..no?