Subaru WRX Forum banner

Noob

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Epictofer 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I just started today and wanted to say hi. I am new to the WRX world and am interested in knowing more about it. I recent got into an car accident and found out the car was totaled. I was browsing for days and happen to get a really great deal on a 08 WRX. When I get the change I am hoping to take a good look under the hood to really see what is there. Along with suspension and brakes. I happen to be new when it comes to car parts, but am not when it comes to motorcycles. I plan on going to UTI in 2 years and hope to learn more about motorcycles and cars. Here are some pics of my WRX.

I am however wondering about changing the TMIC to a FMIC. Any thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The top mount you have right there is TOP OF THE LINE!! A front mount is going to increase turbo lag, especially on a factory turbo! IMO i would keep what you have there, as that is a QUALITY piece and process wests customer service is top notch. They replaced my silicon turbo hose( rubbed through ) and my air splitter (rust) at no charge, even though i bought it used!! From what i see there your well set up to have a nice stage 2+ tune. I think im running almost that exact same setup from what i can see. I think i see grimmspeed boost controler, and cobb bpv. All of which are quality parts. Plus the intercooler and your already 3 steps ahead! i would focus on suspension, maybe rear sway bar and end link and then a master cylinder brace. You'll feel a huge difference in the car with just a few suspension mods. Welcome to the club!!

#6 ·
Im with these guys. That TMIC is the best that money can buy.

One thing to keep in mind is that these cars tend to be driven pretty hard, Looking at the hardware under the hood the previous owner has at least 3-4k in parts and hopefully proper tune in the car. Most guys don't do that unless they track their cars so you are probably looking at something that was driven hard on the weekends.

It looks like the previous owner had good taste in aftermarket parts, AEM cold air possibly, Perrin Turbo inlet, Process west intercooler, GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace, Cobb Bypass valve (set up for proper recirculating it looks like), optima battery, mishi radiator hoses, and perrin covers. With that hardware I would also expect a turboback exhaust and hopefully the strut tower brace is a sign of other suspension mods as well.

I can almost gaurentee that that particular car was driven hard so go over it with a fine tooth comb and hopefully welcome the the Subaru community.

#7 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am new to this type of car, but hopefully this weekend I can get a good look at what type of suspension the previous owner put. I am pretty sure he had this setup like you all had mentioned. The only thing I was able to figure out when I first test driven the car was it has a short shifter and that the clutch was heavy. I will definitely post more pictures when I can.

#8 ·
Alright so here is what I was able to get picture on. First few are close up for under the hood. Then I tried to get what I could underneath the car.

Attachments

#10 ·
You sir bought a well modded car. I see a turbo blanket, silicone turbo inlet, cold air intake, silicone radiator hoses, master cylinder brace, strut tower bar, looks like ate super blue brake fluid, optima red top battery, Perrin alternator cover and radiator shroud, Cobb bpv, process west intercooler, lightweight crank pulley. Koyo radiator cap, mishimoto radiator stays, kartboy battery tie down, ss turbo oil feed line, ebcs, downpipe, cat back, ss brake lines, rear sway bar, some bushings, coil overs, endlinks, and trailing arms. You have a solid car as long as maintenance has been kept up and it has not been abused.

#11 ·
Thanks for the knowledge boo-key. I plan on keeping her for a while, so I will keep up with all the maintenance and I don't really plan on abusing her. The next thing I am wondering though is if I would be better off with a different brake system. I believe from the looks of it this one has oem rotors and calipers.

Any thoughts?

Also, I know the car has been lowered with 18" wheels. Am I able to upgrade to 19" without any doing any cosmetics?

#13 ·
Yea that car was well done!! Im sure it has short throw shifter and bushings and everything else. Like bookey said keep her well maintained and i would contact the seller and find out abobut what tune they are using in case you need to make adjustments for new mods later! i do not know about the 19in wheels or the brakes!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.