Subaru WRX Forum banner

NICE!!! special plates division, here i come

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  fc735 
#1 ·
Well, after deep consideration, this thread does belong in the power mods forum.....

My application for Ohio Collector's License Plates has been approved!!!

I will not have to bother with the obnoxious E-check (emissions) and will not have to return several of the original exhaust parts to my car for that echeck....

thus the power mod forum thread.... my car will be retaining all of its initial power from modification!!! woohoo!!! (and trust me, had real concerns about passing echeck with current mods on car).... i'm pysched!!!

Just submit $5000 or more in receipts for mods, fancy pictures of your car, and a nice little letter begging for collectors plates (and vouching that you won't drive your car more than $2,500 miles annually) and your car can become a collectors edition just like mine. (if you live in Ohio Echeck counties anyways) !Thumbs Up

#4 ·
Is it mandatory with inspection or something? I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry TOO much about that kinda stuff here in VA. We do have "antique" plates which I believe allow you to do anything you want to the car, but it has to be something like 30 years old. :(

#6 ·
KNOW FOR SURE THAT...

summit, geauga, cuyahoga, lake counties all require it... and thank goodness for collectors plates, because otherwise i wouldn't be having a valid registration at all... since i can't pass echeck...

IBAUCLAPla... i don't think you could get them... minimum is $5,000 in upgrades (reciepts required) and photos of car required, and evidence of ownership of 'everyday usage' vehicle.... you have to show you've got another car to use for primary transportation.

application is free however, so it could not hurt to try.

or just make sure the exhaust system you purchase has a high flow catalytic converter and wire up the CEL fix (capictor/resistor) to the rear O2 sensor and you should pass echeck with no probs... echeck does a visual inspection for a catalytic converter and they now plug into your OBDII to verify you have no check engine lights triggered regarding the exhaust/emissions system... if your rear O2 CEL is on, it will fail echeck even if your emissions are realistically safe.

#9 ·
this will not help...

UTEC has the same technology...

if you noticed when you rode in my car... there are no check engine light signals... but trust me, inside that OBDII computer... there are check engine codes registered and hooking up to an OBDII scanner will reveal the codes that are listed... My dad has a scanner and despite that my CEL is not on i always have 3 codes... 1 is for 'rear O2 sensor' the other two are for one of my tumble generator valves (its stuck open) and we can always clear out the 'rear O2 sensor' code, but i think it comes back after your car has been shut down and started back up after long enough.... (like for a couple of hours)...

The only way to bypass this scenario is to wire the CEL fix... (the components will cost you $1.99 at radio shack-- 1 resistor and 1 capacitor, i believe i even have the part numbers in the email somewhere)... and this will trick the engine computer by generating the exact voltage to the computer that would be sent by the O2 sensor under normal operation... thus the 'fix'...

ron

#11 ·
MIGHT NOT HAV ANY

you'll just have to wait and see... mine did not trigger until got on the highway and really started driving fast on the way home from installation at my dad's place.... You have a good change if your keeping a cat in the downpipe... but if you're thinking that is TXS stealth back setup, i believe that is incorrect... TXS puts it in the midpipe section (pipe right after downpipe) and the downpipe is then completely catless... and even then you might not get a CEL... But i've heard moving the location of the cat, and going from 3 cats to 1 cat will likely feedback the wrong voltage and cause 1 CEL... that will be for the rear o2 sensor 'low voltage' or 'inoperable' or something like that.... so you snip the wires to the O2 sensor and mechancially splice in the capacitor and resistor (in the correct format) and this will feedback correct voltage to computer and trick the ECU... effectively taking away the CEL code for rear O2 sensor, then you will be golden for echeck.... you've got till 2006 before you need echeck... get the exhaust, and go from there... you've got two yrs before you gotta deal with it... and it should not be rocket science to get that CEL fix wired in... i have not done it myself... but check aroun, i know people are using it, and if you want to ripped off for $12 bucks, just go on ebay and buy the CEL fix kit and it comes with directions for where and how to splice which wires...

#13 ·
For RexRonald and Matt:

Just go to the Echeck station right up the street from my work...Twinsburg, OH on Rt. 91. I took the STi through there with no cats and no CEL and I passed with flying colors. :D !Thumbs Up

Gotta love young punk kids oogling over your car, old men that don't do visuals, and AWD which can't run on the rollers and get a sniffer test. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.