Newbie- looking into WRX 2003 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

scdude37 is an unknown
Newbie- looking into WRX 2003

Hey, first one to start by saying i know i am new and just trying to introduce myself.

I have a 2005 nissan titan and am looking to trade for a Subaru WRX, 2003. I just want to know what to specifically look for when I am checking out this car. I know the normal fluids and frame and drivability. But are there things that you all look for specifically when looking into a Subaru.

I have searched a little on this forum, and i have been on other forums so i know how the whole searching and dont ask certain questions thing goes. Just would like some insight to problems that are with this year and what all i need to pay attention too.

Thanks for any advice or help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Get the newest year with the lowest mileage WRX you can find.

Is the 02-03 wrx the body you like the most?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

scdude37 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Get the newest year with the lowest mileage WRX you can find.

Is the 02-03 wrx the body you like the most?
Haha, If i could afford what i wanted, I would just get an sti. I have quite a few friends with those and they love them.

The mileage is 97k on the 03. I am alright with the body style its just the guy wants to trade straight up and figured id get some ideas of what i am getting into.

ill try to find his craigslist ad so y'all can see everything

edit: found cl ad
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3612436395.html
#4 Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Watch for clutch/tranny issues mainly... Does the car have a tune on it? The TMIC looks crooked... look to see if the braces are still there. You know the seller?

You did notice it has a rebuilt title? Wondering why he wants to just trade it. Seems like he's dumping it. Dunno.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I love the red but something smells fishy to me. I see a blow-off valve on a crooked intercooler and a CAI. All not good signs. And just how did he crack a rim? Was it on the car when he cracked it? Was anything else damaged when he cracked the rim? Wheel bearings,struts, alignment? If it has brand new tires he could be hiding a bent car. If it has well used tires look for uneven wear. A rebuilt title? Hmm... tread lightly grasshopper.

The sensation is as hard to forget as it is to ignore!!!
#6 Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

tec_41 is an unknown
I'd run away as soon as I saw the rebuild title...God forbid, if you end up totaling it you'll only get about half of it's worth in insurance money. Definitely not worth trading a good truck for.
#7 Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

popwar is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to popwar
This is my car lol . its understandable why anyone one look away , but i have no problems with it and im not hiding anything . As far as the rim and intercooler go , the rim balances out fine . The IC I honestly dont know . I had an 02 wrx with a crooked IC . the BOV is recirculating . Its on cobb stage 2 tune . This is a late reply but I wanted to chime in
#8 Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

How did you crack the rim? Did anything else get damaged when you cracked the rim? How do you know? Why did you put a CAI in an 03 when the stock intake is good for up to 350+whp? What was wrong with the stock BOV?

#9 Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
How did you crack the rim? Did anything else get damaged when you cracked the rim? How do you know? Why did you put a CAI in an 03 when the stock intake is good for up to 350+whp? What was wrong with the stock BOV?
The stock intake is nowhere near good enough for close to 350 whp.

A stage 2 2.0L WRX (with a custom tune) gains enough power to warrant one.
#10 Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The stock intake is nowhere near good enough for close to 350 whp.

A stage 2 2.0L WRX (with a custom tune) gains enough power to warrant one.
Is the stock WRX/STi system adequate? Yes. The majority of major Subaru tuners agree that the stock intake is adequate to power levels in the 400HP range. It also has the following advantages:
1. The standard air scoop is mounted high in the engine bay. This makes it resistant to ingress of water. The design of the fender snorkel helps to remove any water that is drawn in by this scoop.
2. Air drawn in is cool, since the air comes from the edge of the engine bay, and at speed, all air will be drawn from outside.
3. The standard system is quiet since the resonator in the fender helps filter out noise from the air flow.
4. The stock ECU is calibrated to work perfectly with the stock intake system.

Taken directly from Big Ron himself Unabomber's Manifesto. In your face!!!

#11 Old 03-02-2013, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Is the stock WRX/STi system adequate? Yes. The majority of major Subaru tuners agree that the stock intake is adequate to power levels in the 400HP range. It also has the following advantages:
1. The standard air scoop is mounted high in the engine bay. This makes it resistant to ingress of water. The design of the fender snorkel helps to remove any water that is drawn in by this scoop.
2. Air drawn in is cool, since the air comes from the edge of the engine bay, and at speed, all air will be drawn from outside.
3. The standard system is quiet since the resonator in the fender helps filter out noise from the air flow.
4. The stock ECU is calibrated to work perfectly with the stock intake system.

Taken directly from Big Ron himself Unabomber's Manifesto. In your face!!!
Call any tuner you want and ask them if they would recommend the stock intake over aftermarket on a 400 bhp (300 whp) car.

You can use it on such setups, but that doesn't mean it's ideal. Notice the word he used: "adequate". A stage 2 2.0L WRX will gain 5-10 whp. A 300 whp car would get 10-15.
#12 Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yea well, "adequate" as a far cry from "nowhere near good enough for close" and for 5-10hp this would be money far better spent somewhere else. It should be this LAST mod after A LOT of other mods not the first.

It should be like"well,I'm into it for a gazillion dollars already I might as well get one" Not "Oh God,I need this right now before I do anything else!"

And since most people will never see 400hp this makes this mod about as useful as a pin-wheel taped to my antenna!

#13 Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
As I saw saying "adequate" =/= "ideal". An intake is fine after purchase of an exhaust and engine management. The money spent isn't bad, considering people pay $1,400 for an equal length header that may give up to 20 whp.

Anyways, the point I was making is that the intake isn't a bad investment. As long as it's not the very 1s mod done.
#14 Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

popwar is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to popwar
Quote:
It doesnt matter now , but I got the car how it was . I have done nothing to it besides radiator flush , oil , alignment , tire balance , etc regular maintenance . All mods were done prior to me getting it . I'm running the cobb map for the aftermarket intake . I'm probably just going to get a stock one though anyways .