Newb with a couple ?s before I join the club - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

HBWRX is an unknown
Newb with a couple ?s before I join the club

Hi all, I'm looking into getting a new STI and was wondering if I should go for it this year or wait for the new 2014 model. Any differences or benefits to go either way I would like to know. Thank you and I look forward to getting to know you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
We don't know much about the 14, word on the street is that it's all new. New as in, not an impreza anymore.
A little talk about the new turbo system, but that's all.
Nothing as far as looks or nothin.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you're buying (not leasing) and plan to keep the car for a while, the last model of a generation is generally better than the first model of the next generation since the majority of the "kinks" have been worked out. Take, for example, the first model of the third generation WRX (2008) - the TD04 turbo was scrapped for the more powerful VF52, or the first model of the second geneation STi (2004) - the 5x100 lug nut pattern was scrapped for the larger 5x114.3. Toward the end of the second generation, the WRX began receiving the larger 2.5 L engine from the factory instead of the 2.0 L prior to 2006. There are a number of other examples...

If 2014 is going to be the first model year of the fourth generation line of WRXs and STis, then you might want to wait until 2015 or 2016 just in case there are any significant changes in the following year or two. If you can't hold out that long, I'd recommend going with the 2013.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

HBWRX is an unknown
Thank you both. Looks like I'll be sticking with the 2013 because I can't wait until 2015 for all the kinks on the new one to be worked out
#5 Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
If you're buying (not leasing) and plan to keep the car for a while, the last model of a generation is generally better than the first model of the next generation since the majority of the "kinks" have been worked out. Take, for example, the first model of the third generation WRX (2008) - the TD04 turbo was scrapped for the more powerful VF52, or the first model of the second geneation STi (2004) - the 5x100 lug nut pattern was scrapped for the larger 5x114.3. Toward the end of the second generation, the WRX began receiving the larger 2.5 L engine from the factory instead of the 2.0 L prior to 2006. There are a number of other examples...

If 2014 is going to be the first model year of the fourth generation line of WRXs and STis, then you might want to wait until 2015 or 2016 just in case there are any significant changes in the following year or two. If you can't hold out that long, I'd recommend going with the 2013.
nonsense. Like 5x100 bolt pattern is actually a problem! They changed the bolt pattern because they changed the control arm (endlinks too). It's a 3k lb car, nothing wrong with 5x100. They still use 5x100 to this day in the 2013 WRX which is heavier than the 04 STi by a good margin. The 08 WRX was an upgrade over the 07 WRX in many key areas. Yes they used the same turbo, but the layout was different. Yes the 09 got a bigger turbo but that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the 08 WRX. The suspension was drastically improved between 07 and 08.

I give the advice of if you want to wait for the next big thing, you'll always be waiting. That said, things change in bunches. Personally, I'm waiting for the 2014 model STi.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
5x114.3 is a stronger hub design than 5x100. For a daily driver, it's not an issue, but if you want your aftermarket wheel selection to include some crazy-cool wheel designs and sizes, it's an issue

There's nothing wrong with the TD04 turbo, but given the choice between a TD04 and VF52, almost everyone would go with the VF52.

Key area improvements aside, I'll take the styling of my 07 over an 08 any day. Frameless doors are the jam!

I guess the bottom line is, everything on the car can be upgraded. You'll either pay for nice stuff from the factory, or pay (probably more) to upgrade it later.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)