Subaru WRX Forum banner

Newb to the Accessport

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
I have recently installed the cobb v3 Accessport. It took me a few days to figure out how to use it fluently. Now that I can find my way thru the accessport, I'd like to start datalogging. The tune I am currently running is the stock 93 octane tune from cobb. I am very new to the world of accessports and dataloging and all that. Soooo my ultimate question is what should I be dataloging, are there and do's and don'ts that I should be aware of. Please throw some light my way. Thanks

#2 ·
Cobb has a nice list of parameters to log here : https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200025134-How-to-Datalog

Along with the Cobb recommended data points I also like to monitor my vehicle speed and A/F Sens 1 Ratio (AFR) Calculated Load Ignition Timing Inj. Duty Cycle Intake Temp MAF Man. Abs. Press. (PSI)RPM (RPM) Throttle Pos Vehicle Speed and Wastegate Duty (%)

Keep in mind that the accessport can only monitor so many data points per second so the more parameters you log the fewer points per second you will see. With all the points I am logging I get about 16 data points per parameter per second.

Also keep in mind that logs will require you to drive above the posted speed limit in most states. your looking for 3rd ( 5MT ) or 4th (6MT) gear pulls. On the 15-16 I think thats topping out near 100mph. That means you will need a drag strip or other private property with plenty of visibility and a nice long braking zone. When your logging always engage the throttle slowly and smoothly up to 100% starting from 2500 or 3000 RPM up to the redline. I dont like to have passengers in the car for logs so I click the center button ot start logging before I begin my pull and I let the car coast for a few seconds before I stop my logs. Remember you can always cut off the excess data in excel but you cant go back in and make more data from your computer so its always better to over collect in the field and clean up later.

hope that helps

#3 ·
Ok that all seems to make sense. In a few weeks I expect to buy an intake, from what I've gathered there are 2 that cobb makes off the shelve tune for ETS and Mitshimoto.

Is there any difference in the 2? other than the manufacture?

Has either one show to be more effective/efficient than the other?

Is there a general census on witch is better?

Any advice on witch I should get?

Does it really matter?

#4 ·
Short answer - you dont need an intake for an OTS stage 1 or 2 build

Longer answer - the stock intake box is factory tuned and effective up to and beyond STi power levels. for the old EJ platfrom the concensus was that the stock box was good up to 350WHP. I dont have data for the 2015-16 but I would assume it is similar. For a Cobb stage 1 + tune ( with intake ) you will see very little difference between the stock airbox and any aftermarket intake product with an OEM sized MAF housing. To keep the ECU happy most aftermarket intake manufacturers use a similar sized MAF housing to ensure that the stock MAF sends proper figures to the ECU. Mishimoto, Cobb and ETS all use 3 inch diameter piping and they each have a reducer behind their oversized filters to allow the proper diameter MAF housing.

Where you will start seeing a difference between intake products is in the fit and finish of the product, the air box and the the mating points. As for fit and finish I like cobb products the best. They are manufactured to very tight tolerances and they look great. Cobb also uses a 1 piece intake path vs mishimoto and ETS using couplers and straight pipes. That would make it harder to install but it would introduce less turbolence into the intake path.

The ETS products have a superior airbox/cover ( no top seam ) that should theoretically seal out more of the hot engine air and a bigger filter ( which doesnt matter as long as you keep your filter media clean and properly oiled. ETS also uses more of your factory intake path than mishimoto and CObb.

The benifits in the Mishimoto product are really just price. You save $100 but I dont think its better than the other 2 options.

As far as most of us are concerned air intakes on stage 1-2 builds are really nothing more than noise makers. They make the high school kids in all of us smile cause you can hear the turbo more. They dont add any real power and they all require tuning t run effectively.

#6 ·
So if the intake I have (STOCK one) is good up to around 350 whp, where should I put that money now? ultimately I do want my subie to have more than or close to 350whp... but if it doesn't make sense for me to do now, what does make sense to do now? what can I do to see the most power gain now and then once it is necessary, I would add the intake.

#7 ·
i suggest water/meth/allch injection. though you will need a protune

probably the safest way to make lots of power when running on pump gas. the horror stories you hear of systems failing and engine blowing are extremely rare and usually due to improper installation and/or maintenance. plus now-a-days there are alot of failsafes that come with the higher end systems.

Water/Methanol Injection FAQ - NASIOC

#8 ·
Honestly I would start with suspension. Get the power down more efficiently and you dont need as much power to get around the track. I like poly bushings where available, Whitelines makes bushing fillers ( that fill in the gaps in the factory bushings making them stiffer ). Stiffen up that drivetrain and if you have the money to play with I would grab a bigger rear sway bar as well to knock out some body roll.

If youwant more power, you already have an accessport and you are running a Stage 1 Cobb tune I would also consider a Pro tune or a good e-tune with lots of revisions.

@titter I love the idea of meth injection but that would require retuning as well. Maybe start with a pro-tune from a reputable tuner and see where your wallet leads you? : )

#9 ·
yea true that. water/meth is not cheap by any means. i just meant though if your at the point where you need a pro tune, instead of paying for a pro tune and driving for a while then adding meth and tuning again (because you have to when you add meth)... it will save money to do it all at once and pro tune once.

#10 ·
With all this new found knowledge, I have to ask the question. Do exhausts fall into the same category as intakes, "Just noise makers" or is looking into the idea of getting a turbo back and a pro tune seem like a viable place to start.

#13 ·
Exhaust fits into 4 catagories.

Turbo back - all the pipes and resonators from the turbo flange back to the tips - this will free up exhaust flow and with a proper tune will provide some net power increase

Down pipe/ J Pipe - Just the pipe that removes exhaust gasses from the turbo. Mates with either stock or aftermarket catback to remove restriction from the flow. ( this is where most of the OE restriction is and thus where most turbo backs make power gains with a proper tune )

Catback - Mates to OE or aftermarket down pipe or J pipe and changes the number or size of resonators. Some companies claim power gains from catbacks but most gains would be the product of more aggressive tuning. very little restriction exists in the catbakck system if it is mated to the stock down pipe ( Mostly a noise maker )

Axle back - Uses the stock midpipe and replaces the final resonator/muffler. Changes the tone of the car without changing exhaust flow. these are nice for changing the sound and they are inexpensive.

#14 ·
WHP and torque numbers are relative to how agressive your tuner is with your tune. Depending on your fuel availability you might see a 3-5% increase in peak power over the cobb OTS maps. Really the pro-tune is just a way to make sure that your ECU is tuned for your specific car and your application. Also its not all about peak power, My E-tune vs the OTS tune I had a much smoother power band and the boost was more stable throughoput the RPM range. Ive seen Stage 2 dyno numbers for the 2015 in the low 300s but each car is different.

#16 ·
Cobb has a nice offering, so does Nameless. Invidia makes some nice products but Ive always found them to lean more towards the drone. As for performance Nameless and Cobb both make nice downpipes/J pipes. I would ask whomever is tuning your car which they prefer and go with them. The biggest difference is that the cobb is 2.5 and 3 inches whereas the nameless is all 3 inches. That will make the nameless louder but your tuner might be able to squeseze a tiny bit more power out of the nameless with your setup.

#17 ·
from what i have heard, cobb is the most quiet. thats actually a big complaint is that its too quiet for an aftermarket. but it flows the same as the rest. personally i like quieter as long as there is adequte flow.

#19 ·
Drone is the ambient noise your exhaust makes while cruising and can be heard while doing so. A catless tbe will have more Drone than a catted/resonated tbe and a straight pipe will be the most prone for Drone and will be extremely loud.

As for power increases with a produce you can usually get at least 15awhp/tq if not more with a tbe and tune, it depends on elevation where you are.

For example I have a 2.17L stroker, uel headers, up-pipe, Downpipe, all catless 3" from the turbo and a 4" tip with 2 14" resonators, 565cc injectors, k&n filter, Grimmspeed ebcs, and a protune...and make 175awhp/195awtq. Yes I make much less power than I should with the mods I have (especially in central FL) but my injectors are clogged and my MAF is failing (180k miles) so it had to be tune VERY conservative to avoid trouble.

A 3 port EBCS won't make more power alone but allow the turbo to spool up sooner and make more power down low which requires a tune or you can run lean and go boom.

#20 ·
Ok so I apologize that I don't fully understand everything yet, but Im getting there. So I think I want the invidia turbo back....

-What map from cobb could I run with the stock intake, and the invidia turboback exhaust

-Also I was shopping around and I haven't seen a full kit for the turboback, so all in all what invidia parts do I need to do the turbo back?

#21 ·
First off, Cobb wants you to buy into their ecosystem. They only offer tunes that are designed for their exhausts. If you use their tune with another exhaust you risk it being a poor match for your vehicle and causing damage. That said in most cases a Cobb Stage 2 tune will work just fine with most turbo back exhaust systems on the market.

As for purchasing a complete invidia turbo back system you will most likley need a Downpipe/jpipe and a catback system. The catback typically includes a midpipe, resonator, Y adapter and 2 mufflers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.