New Wrx owner - first impressions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

popwar is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to popwar
New Wrx owner - first impressions

Just got my 02 hybrid swapped wrx yesterday . I traded my 04 rx8 for it . I'm still getting use to it . As far as build quality, the rx8 is way nicer overall IMO . It just feels kind of junky compared to the rx8 . It needs front fenders re clear coated. Has either a loud injector tick or down pipe leak . Runs and drives great . Not much more to add at the moment . I look forward to exploring the wrx community and this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

PaliWrx02 is an unknown

Traded my Rx-8 for this beast, And never looked back.
#3 Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
the boxer motors do give a nice rumble. some "non-tuner" people do think its rod knock or an leak(you just have to check it out),but it most cases thats how they sound when they have been opened up(no cats ,nice exhaust flow)
welcome to the club. nice bug eye
#4 Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Since it's obviously modified, lets see the mod list.
#5 Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Looks good I'd like to see more pics. I like the mud flaps and the intercooler looks tight. Its always good to see a fellow Bugeye.

I'm not sure what hybrid swapped means. enlighten me.

Pop that hood! lets see under there.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#6 Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

popwar is an unknown
yea

STi block with sti Turbo,injectors,ecu with wrx heads
#7 Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's a Subaru they're noisey, it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru....lol

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

popwar is an unknown
yea

Well I didn't notice it until after I got gas 91 octane . It was the closest to 93 at gas station . Previous owner said he's only used 93 and never heard the tick .
#9 Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Well I didn't notice it until after I got gas 91 octane . It was the closest to 93 at gas station . Previous owner said he's only used 93 and never heard the tick .
Er, if the car is tuned for 93, you can't use 91. You have to use whatever it was tuned for.

Post a video.
#10 Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

popwar is an unknown
yea

Its not really tuned . I'ts just running the stock STi ECU . I will post a video sometime tomorrow . On a side note , Pali's bugeye looks alot nicer than mine . How did you trade an rx8 for that?
#11 Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Its not really tuned . I'ts just running the stock STi ECU . I will post a video sometime tomorrow . On a side note , Pali's bugeye looks alot nicer than mine . How did you trade an rx8 for that?
No, I doubt that. A hybrid build uses the 2.0L's heads. It's ECU. It's pedals (drive by cable while the STi is drive by wire). All of it. It does not have a factory STi tune, that's ridiculous. Hopefully it has some tun on it. I'm sure it does, it wouldn't run very far on a stock WRX tune with that block and turbo. A STi uses a 32-bit ECU. The 02-05 WRX is a 16-bit ECU. You couldn't even load a factory STi map on there if you wanted to.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Er, if the car is tuned for 93, you can't use 91. You have to use whatever it was tuned for.
Hold on... are you telling me if I get a tune and I have 91 in the tank I can only use 91 from then on?

I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing on some of my cross country trips. Sometimes its 91 sometimes its 92.5 sometimes its 93.

This news sux! You have just talked me out of getting a tune or any other mods that need a tune to get the most out of them.

Please say this isn't so.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#13 Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Fidrat,
If you get a tune for 91 and you put 93 in there at a station, it will not hurt... Since you will be on the highway most of the time and not be in boost. 2 points won't do anything. It's the 93/91 ppl going to e85 that have leaning issues.

If you have multiple maps, you will be fine. AP or OpenSource?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#14 Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
No, it's not on an STI ECU. If it was, your car would not run. You choose the ECU by what heads you have on the car. The exception being you can run a WRX ECU on an STI motor, but not visa versa because STIs have DBW throttle bodies and variable valve timing that WRXs do not. It's a stock ECU with a tune on it (it better for the turbo and injectors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Hold on... are you telling me if I get a tune and I have 91 in the tank I can only use 91 from then on?
No, you just can't run a lower octane than you were tuned for. 93 on a 91 tune is fine. If you run 91 on a tune for 93 you can get detonation.
#15 Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boy,I'm glad I read that wrong. Let the modding begin! Sorry I'm such a dork.