Subaru WRX Forum banner

New WRX owner - Invisi-Film Paint Protection Question

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought my first Suburu - a 2017 Blue Pearl WRX Premium. I am really enjoying the car.

The dealership that we bought the car from recently started to install Invisi-Film Paint Protection (like the clear Bra) and I decided to get it. They will be installing it on Friday. Is anyone familiar with this product? Has anyone gotten it installed at the Suburu Dealership?

#2 ·
welcome to the forums!

its essentially just clear vinyl wrap. works good. some ppl cover their entire car, some ppl cover just the front.

i dont think it matters if its from a dealership or not, idiots lurk everywhere lol.

does it come with a warranty of any sorts?

#3 ·
Thanks!

It does come with a warranty (I believe 7 years). I am planning to just get it installed on the the front of the car (including the front portion of the side mirrors).

The dealership has been installing the film on the top of the bumper of the trunk on some of their new cars (it was on the car when we bought it). I think they have just recently started to offer it for the front of the cars.

The film on our trunk looks like it was installed with care and no issue. Hopefully they can do the same with the front where there will be larger sheets.

#4 ·
cool. pics and updates are appreciated :)

i know people who use clear plasti-dip to accomplish the same thing. though it does not last 7 years lol. thats pretty good.

#5 ·
For track days i prefer the clear plasti-dip because it gets torn up by rocks and small debris. I cant say for sure but I think the clear film on the rear bumper is OE at this point. I know that it was not included on the invoice for my 2017 and there is definitely a protective film on the top of the bumper.

As for the vinyl option itself I think it makes it a bit harder to get a good coat of wax on the car because wax doesn't stick to the vinyl like it would to paint. It definitely helps with rocks but you trade that for a slightly different color over time. Vinyl discolors in UV light, no matter how good the vinyl is. Expect to have either the dealership replace it after 4-5 years or expect to remove it and have the whole car polished back to the same color nd clarity. Actually plan on having the whole car polished and color corrected after you pay it off anyway. its a good practice and it make people feel proud of owing their cars : )

On the topic of dealer install. Vinyls are pretty easy. Im assuming they will be using either a laser cut template or running a heat stetched product in house. Neither are all that difficult to handle and if they are willing to gaurentee it for years you have little to worry about in the way of install. Just dont leave until you are happy with it.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the info/suggestions. When I get a chance to take some good photos of my car (it has been raining all week), I will try and post some. Maybe some close ups of the vinyl film once it is installed.

In additon to getting the vinyl film installed on Friday, I am also getting tint and the body side molding installed.

#7 ·
I finally have a chance to post some pics of my car with the invis-film and other items that I got installed. The dealership did a pretty good job installing the film. There are a few areas that I am going to have them redo. I wanted to wait to see if the bubbles "baked" out and a few are still there.

Attachments

#11 ·
Update: I will admit that the pictures that I previously posted did not really show the bubbles and other flaws in the film that was installed. After a few weeks of hoping the sun would bake out the bubbles, I brought the car back to the dealership to show them my car. They agreed that the install/material was poor in some areas and that the entire film needed to be removed and re-installed. This time they were going to use a different installer who was supposed to be more experienced. Apparently this installer ran into similar issues and he eventually admitted that based on his experience/knowledge of the product invisi-film material he did not think it was good. I ended up having the second film that was installed removed. The dealership is dissappointed in the product and is looking to find something better to use. Based on my experience, I would recommend you avoid having Invisi-film installed unless you want to take the risk of having bubbles.

#12 ·
clearcoat plasti-dip doesnt bubble...

i seriously dont know why plasti-dip isnt used at the OEM level. its a revolutionary material. it can be used for soooo many better things than paint.

we going to paint the lower part of our walls at our work. (we own a dog groomer/dog daycare) and plasti-dip is an excellent waterproofer against doggy "accidents"

dont think of it as a peelable paint... think of it as a sprayable rubberized polymer. imagine the applications you could use it for if it was permanent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.