New WRX owner - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

anoo105 is an unknown
New WRX owner

great site here, glad I found it.

Have been a Honda guy all my life.... finally got sick of no-AWD so got a 2013 WRX sedan a few weeks ago. It's getting hard to find many left at the dealerships around here.

Absolutely love it. Still trying to figure out the MPG thing... as the trip computer shows 23-24mpg but am only getting 320 miles off a full 16.9 gallon tank.... which would be more like 18mpg. No really important and have only put 1,300 miles on it but curious what's up with that.

low profile tires and tight suspension is great, aside from horrible thunk if I hit a pothole

Was looking at starting with a K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake..... wonder how loud it'll be :eek:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoo105 View Post
great site here, glad I found it.

Have been a Honda guy all my life.... finally got sick of no-AWD so got a 2013 WRX sedan a few weeks ago. It's getting hard to find many left at the dealerships around here.

Absolutely love it. Still trying to figure out the MPG thing... as the trip computer shows 23-24mpg but am only getting 320 miles off a full 16.9 gallon tank.... which would be more like 18mpg. No really important and have only put 1,300 miles on it but curious what's up with that.

low profile tires and tight suspension is great, aside from horrible thunk if I hit a pothole

Was looking at starting with a K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake..... wonder how loud it'll be :eek:
Welcome to the site. A great first mod is always th Cobb access port. That way
You can go straight to stage 1. It's a great starting point when you decide you go with a turbo back exhaust.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Welcome honda guy, prepare to morph into a subie guy. Post some pix when you get a chance and like Tyler said, Cobb accessport is the best first mod. Forget the typhoon. i have one and it sounds great but will lean out your car if not tuned for. The accessport allows you to tune for any and all future upgrades which is a must on these cars.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #4 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Welcome! Agree with boo-key bear stay away from the typhoon. Also the access port is a very good 1st investment. Anything you can imagine of doing with your intake needs some sort of tune to accommodate for it. The MAF sensors on these beast, especially the 08+ years are very sensitive.
If you get the cobb access port you can get the cobb intake or an aem intake and tune for it immediately with an OTS map. I recommend the aem over the cobb intake though, IMO. If you get any other intake you would have to get a protune. The aem sounds really good. I just installed mine yesterday, along with a cobb dp for stage 2.
Def enjoy pictures!
post #5 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Welcome to the forums.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #6 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Welcome to the forums.
Ditto.
Man I am getting lazy.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #7 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

anoo105 is an unknown
thanks y'all. "start with a Cobb Accessport" seems like it's gospel no matter where ya look.

she cost a pretty penny... and admittedly I pucker up at the thought of being denied warranty coverage if I funk something up.

looks like I should get reading on the art of unmarrying the accessport. ha

Will installing it void my warranty? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

ya need some more pics
post #8 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Garage
[quote=anoo105;337089]thanks y'all. "start with a Cobb Accessport" seems like it's gospel no matter where ya look.

she cost a pretty penny... and admittedly I pucker up at the thought of being denied warranty coverage if I funk something up.

looks like I should get reading on the art of unmarrying the accessport. ha

Will installing it void my warranty? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

looks good man! I had the same thoughts last summer right after I bought mine. I didn't want to take a chance on loosing my warranty. Now a year later, I'm have a total different mind set and am now stage 2. A lot of people think that way, until they find out what little it takes to really release the inner beast of these. Unmarrying the ap is just a click of a button and back to stock you go. Once you go stage 1 and see what a difference that is you will want more and won't want to go back stock. Once the mod bug hits it just keeps going. Any questions you have be sure to ask. Many intelligent people on here.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Just wait until you've had the car for several years and it's paid off and the engine and transmission are begging to be upgraded... you'll be in a whoooooole different mindset.

But for now, welcome and enjoy your warranty
06_hawk_eye likes this.

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 18 Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The ap is a pretty penny, especially for a first mod but, it really is worth it. It will allow you to instantly go stage 1 and pick up a few extra ponies with no other parts required. Has several built in gauges. You can datalog with it to keep tabs on your engines health. Launch control, flat foot shifting, rev indicator light, idle adjustment, performance meter, fuel economy data and valet mode. Plus the ability to go stage 2 with supporting mods. Also most tuners can use it as a platform to do a protune with. So, you really get a lot for the money. Damn , i should be a salesman
arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #11 of 18 Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

anoo105 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Just wait until you've had the car for several years and it's paid off and the engine and transmission are begging to be upgraded... you'll be in a whoooooole different mindset.

But for now, welcome and enjoy your warranty

lol, I think we have a winner.

thanks for the AP input everyone.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Congrats on the purchase. Nice color choice too.

Big don'ts that people new to subies (especially the newer ones) dont follow:

-No air or fuel related bolt ons/ mods without a tune.
-91+ octane everytime, no exceptions (chevron and shell tend to have the best quality of fuel)
-No BOV without a speed density or blow through set up.
-Regular oil changes with synthetic

Cobb AP's are your best friend with these cars. Ability to read codes, view all your sensors built into the car from the factory, put a safer more sporty tune on your car (stage one), ability to instantly tune for a intake if you get one. Plus downpipe and or turbo back exhaust (stage 2) if the mod bug hits you. You have vallet mode so if you let someone borrow it they aren't mashing on it. You also get a economy mode tune.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

anoo105 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Nice color choice too.

Big don'ts that people new to subies (especially the newer ones) dont follow:

-No air or fuel related bolt ons/ mods without a tune.
-91+ octane everytime, no exceptions (chevron and shell tend to have the best quality of fuel)
-No BOV without a speed density or blow through set up.
-Regular oil changes with synthetic

Cobb AP's are your best friend with these cars. Ability to read codes, view all your sensors built into the car from the factory, put a safer more sporty tune on your car (stage one), ability to instantly tune for a intake if you get one. Plus downpipe and or turbo back exhaust (stage 2) if the mod bug hits you. You have vallet mode so if you let someone borrow it they aren't mashing on it. You also get a economy mode tune.

thanks my man.

oddly enough, many gas stations around NY metro area only have 87, 89 or 93. If they do have 91 it's hardly any different price than the 93, so I just been sticking with that. Wasn't sure if using low octane resulted in just poorer performance or could actually do some damage.

Vallet mode sounds excellent. I might even need it for myself since every time I'm around 3500 in 3rd I think for a second about going to 4th but then yell "OH YOU WANNA GO FASTER DON'T YOU SUGARPIE!!" and floor it and then laugh like a little schoolgirl.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Go with 93, without mods your car will be fine on 91 or 93. As far as oil needing to be synthetic,unless the manufacture suggests it, that's not really true. It's personal preference. I run good old 5w30 regular oil in my car and have never had an issue with it.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #15 of 18 Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

Garage
The newer ones Subaru uses synthetic in the wrx and sti's. I don't remember exactly what year they started the synthetic, but I know my 12 is synthetic. I found this on a dealers site, subaru of keene in New Hampshire: All 2011 and newer Subaru Foresters, 2012 and newer Subaru Imprezas, 2013 and newer Outbacks and Legacys, 2013 Crosstreks, 2013 BRZs and all turbos are REQUIRED to use synthetic oil.
Here is the link if interested

http://www.subaruofkeene.com/synthetic-oil.htm