new to WRX not so new to subaru - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bpistell is an unknown
new to WRX not so new to subaru

hay all,just traded in my altima v6 coupe for a 12 WRX sedan dark metallic gray, and loving the car so far, and best of all its for the wife lol, she will be driving this as soon as she can understand stick shift lol, i drive a 2011 outback, i have put a good amount of parts in it already, and the wife is already on me about the exhausts and such, but i am more worried about the cooling, being in Vegas the car seems to get hot (abit more then what i am used to)
the needle seems to go abit past half way, i never owned a turbo car so i dont know if this is ok or not but being only 86o out today it kinda made me question it...

any ideas on cooling it down i know about the cover over the radiator and maybe the skid-plate, but what about the hoses will the silicon ones help out at all?

all so do i need to invest in a turbo timer being stock or is it safe to just turning it off from a normal but long day of driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Your stock radiator is probably fine, but if you really want peace of mind, an aftermarket full aluminum radiator with stock fans will be much more efficient. I know on the second generation Imprezas (2002-2007), the end tanks on the radiators were made of plastic and prone to cracking, but I'm not sure about the 08+ models.

A radiator shroud might help a little, but I'd skip the skid plate. Silicone hoses won't help with cooling, just longevity - they won't wear out as quick as your rubber hoses, but that's not really an issue anyway. Most people just upgrade the hoses for the bling factor.

Skip the turbo timer - your stock turbo is water and oil cooled. Usually, the car will cool down sufficiently after a short drive through the neighborhood or parking lot. If in doubt, you could always let it idle for a few seconds before turning it off, but that's probably not even necessary unless you've been redlining the engine all the way to your parking space.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)