New WRX. Most valuable mods? - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
New WRX. Most valuable mods?

Looks like I've joined the cult officially. I will be the new owner of a 2014 dark grey hatchback this Friday. Hopefully this question hasn't been asked too many times, but I would like to get some opinions on some modifications. I'm only looking for things that are going to be A) good value (which mods will make the biggest difference) and B) will not have an effect on the warranty.
The only options on the vehicle are the STI short throw shifter, black duracon STI shift knob, alloy wheel locks, and subwoofer/amplifier.
Pretty much just looking for inexpensive, convenient mods that will set it apart from the rest. A few things I have in mind are rubber floor mats, the oem rear bumper cover (part E771SFG000; though I'm not sure how useful this will be), and possibly a fog lamp kit later down the road.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to do all of his correctly the first time, but don't want to waste money on frivolous plastic bits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Value is subjective. What are you looking to do? Looks? Performance? Handling?
Aggro Crag likes this.
#3 Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
Value is subjective. What are you looking to do? Looks? Performance? Handling?
Essentially just anything that you feel should have come from the factory. Things that make life easier and protect the car. Speed isn't really a factor here, as I can't imagine anybody saying that it's not powerful enough for daily driving. If that's how you feel, though, by all means; tell me your suggestions.
#4 Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Driver training and performance tires, if you want to appreciate the full capability of that amazing performance auto in a safe environment.

Our car Club hosts an inexpensive Advanced Driving Clinic at the front-end of the Canadian driving season, that is a great introduction to performance driving skills designed for newcomers, in an Autocross environment. It's where I got started.

Why don't you see if you can find something like it where you live?

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#5 Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
Driver training and performance tires, if you want to appreciate the full capability of that amazing performance auto in a safe environment.

Our car Club hosts an inexpensive Advanced Driving Clinic at the front-end of the Canadian driving season, that is a great introduction to performance driving skills designed for newcomers, in an Autocross environment. It's where I got started.

That actually sounds like a fantastic suggestion. Is it common that you can use your own vehicle?
#6 Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod-it View Post
Is it common that you can use your own vehicle?
It is less common- and much more expensive- to use other peoples vehicles.

Plus you want to learn the capabilities of your own auto and develop your skills in the process. You'll see that the capabilities of these autos even in stock form are very high.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
#7 Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Quote:
It is less common- and much more expensive- to use other peoples vehicles.

Plus you want to learn the capabilities of your own auto and develop your skills in the process. You'll see that the capabilities of these autos even in stock form are very high.
That's what I was hoping for. Seems a bit redundant to practice on a completely different vehicle. I learned how to drive a manual transmission on our 2008 Bullitt Mustang, and while I'm driving that pretty well by now, I had a difficult time with the WRX. Practice makes perfect, though.
#8 Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
In that case, I would suggest a Kartboy Short Shifter. Really makes the daily drive more fun. Takes a screw driver and a pair of snap ring pliers to install it.

Upgrading the audio system is a good idea too.
the RIOT act likes this.
#9 Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Post a budget OP and I'll be glad to throw out some suggestions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#10 Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

shaggy is an unknown
Definitely do the kartboy short throw and get new bushings while your at it. Gives it a crisp, mechanical feel. I also suggest getting a bigger rear sway bar. It made a huge difference during cornering in my 09. It's an easy upgrade you can do rather quickly.

SHAGGY
WRX- If you like fast, you'll love faster.
#11 Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^I didn't suggest bushings because his car is brand new, most people who buy the bushings with a new car hardly tell any difference.
#12 Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:

This, I couldnt agree more.

If you have some spare cash i would do the anti-sway bars. Its a few hours worth of work and the effect is substantial. I just did a set of whitelines adjustable front and rear with kart-boys end-links and i couldnt be happier.

Welcome to the club : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#13 Old 02-27-2014, 05:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you want a touch of looks that will set you apart. I'd suggest looking into some JDM stuff.
SMY is a great place to buy these things from.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#14 Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Aggro Crag is an unknown
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Aggro Crag
Tires. Don't skimp on tires.

ahhh yeah
#15 Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Car Club advanced drivers clinic, as I mentioned:

2014 Advanced Driving Clinic, Presented by SPDA and Toyo Tires.

April 26-27, 2014 at the Powerade Centre in Brampton, Ontario

DAY 1 - 30 Spots
DAY 2 - 50 Spots

Cost for the clinic
SPDA Driving Clinic both days = $110
SPDA Driving Clinic Day 1 only = $70
SPDA Driving Clinic Day 2 only = $45

Registration
Registration to this event will be open on Sunday April 6, 2014 at the CASC-OR open house presents at JRP (1 pm in person and 2:30 pm online).

JRP
2344 S Sheridan Way
Mississauga, ON
(905) 822-7223

1) Download the attachment below and have your cash or cheque ready (we will also be accepting paypal on site).
2) If you have any questions, please try to locate an SPDA representative prior to the registration, this will assist in moving the lines quicker.
3) Please ensure that your "email address" is clear, otherwise you will not receive the School mailers. SPDA uses the email system for updates and notifications for the event.

For Paypal Registrations send paypal payments to " treasurer at spda-online.ca ", note if you're only doing Day 1 or Day 2, please send the appropriate funds.

Upon receipt of your Paypal information, we'll put you on the confirmed list.

Thank You

Click here to download the registration form to your computer. *****************************

Under 18 Years of Age must download this form and have it filled out by their parents, please click here!! *********************************

Please note, all minors would require to download and sign the "annual parental waiver form" accompanied by the minor waiver form.

Click me to download the parental consent form. ********************************

SPDA continues it's tradition of offering first class instruction with a focus on lots of "Hands On" training for a value price. This event is open to all cars with instruction provided by qualified instructors. In car instruction will provide the students with narrative, and positive re-inforcement in how to properly negotiate the exercises. The 2 day event is intended to be informative and Fun, with focus on "Fun".

Agenda:

Pre-Requisite: All drivers must be Legally Licensed in Canada with a valid drivers licence, Automobiles must belong to the driver, or must have a consent form from the owner to be used for this type of event.

Day 1: Advanced Driver Training - Phase 1
9:00 – 3:30

The first day focuses on assisting the driver to get better acquainted with their cars. The exercises being instructed throughout the day will instill confidence in the student and teach the driver about how to exploit the limits of their cars in a safe controlled environment. Drivers will learn the limits of their daily driver through exercises specifically designed to get the driver and vehicle better acquainted with each other:

Agenda:
(Classroom) (30-45 min)
General overview of principal that will be learned throughout the day.

(In Car Instruction)
Seating Position:
Feet Positions:
Hand Position:
Skidpads: Instruct the student to recognize “Understeer” and “Oversteer”
Figure 8’s: Weight Transfer, Braking Points, Controlled Entry and Exit
Threshold Braking, Braking with ABS
Parallel Slaloms: Transitions
Mock Autocross Course: Reward at the end of the day

Pre-Requisite Day 2: Drivers must have had the basic instruction similar to Day 1, must have participated in other autoslalom schools, or club series competitive Autoslaloms.

Day 2: Advanced Driver Training – Phase 2
(9:00 - 4:00)

Day 2 focuses on increasing the driver confidence through setup techniques. In addition to the lessons learned in Day 1, this day focuses on higher speed ingress and egress techniques. Day 2 focuses on putting to practice all the items learned on Day 1, and will teach the student to look farther ahead, and to plan their course.

Agenda:

Theory Discussion: Q&A about setup truths vs fiction
Course Walk: Teaches the newcomer on how to read the layout of the track
Tire Pressures: Effect of Tire Pressures on driving dynamics
Trail Braking
In Car Instruction: Instructors Provided if required
Autocross Instruction the entire day
Timing equipment will be on the premises but the event will not be formally timed.

Requirements for the clinic:
Helmets - Snell 2000 (min)
Water
Appropriate Clothing - this event occurs outdoors
Umbrella (Rain or Shine)
Closed Shoes - No Sandals or heals
Food for Lunch - Lots of places to eat nearby
Drivers License
Automobile Registration
Positive Mental Attitude - Ready to have the best time of your life with your clothes on.

We have something special in store for you!
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX

Last edited by LW_Black4; 02-27-2014 at 12:43 PM.