Subaru WRX Forum banner

New to the Subaru world, need opinion

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  PROImportTuners 
#1 ·
Right, so, I guess I should start off by saying that I'm really new to the Subaru scene, so I don't know much about the Impreza, at least, I don't know as much as the Skylines (which I'm a huge fan of). Now, on to the point, i'm currently a student, i live in Denmark and looking to get a car, mind you, I'm not your average guy, I love cars, so I'm looking for the not-so-average car. I've been looking a lot at R34's GTT, but the problem with them is the high insurance and the fuel economy. Recently i stumbled across an ad about an Impreza WRX, what came as a surprise was the cost, so i started looking into WRXs also, so here's where I'm stuck: a 2003 Impreza WRX averages (let's talk dollars) 7000 dollars, whilst the WRX/STI models go for A LOT higher, more than double I should say. Though looking at cars for sale in the UK got me thinking, is it worth buying a right hand drive WRX/STI? I'm asking this because they sell for around 9000 dollars. What's the differences between the WRX and the WRX/STI models?

#2 ·
This is a good resource for comparative specs, on the '04 WRX and STi models. Both are affordable and practical performance cars with all sorts of upside potential.

2004 SUBARU WRX and STi RESEARCH PAGE
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX and STi spec page

The STi is basically a factory-tuned WRX that's been upgraded in every respect. Well worth it's premium over a WRX in cost of upgrades. However, many enthusiasts want to personalize their ride, and the WRX is a more affordable starting point for this approach.

#3 ·
Ok, thanks for the answer, but i'm yet to get an answer to my question, would it be worth to pay 2000$ more for an STI that's right hand drive? Personally, i don't have anything against RHD and don't steer away from it like some people do being scared of it.

#5 ·
I'm not sure what side of the road you normally drive on in Denmark but I know that having a RHD car in an area that drives on the right side of the road can be impractical.

Parking ticket windows, drive through vendors and other utilities are usually setup with a Left or Right bias, so being on the opposite side of the car can be a pain in the butt sometimes!

Good luck with whatever option you choose and have fun!

#8 ·
I'd expect maintenance cost vary more by age and vehicle condition, than by STi or WRX models.

However, STi's have a few additional complex systems (e.g. drivetrain) that could attract maintenance $ that don't exist on a WRX.

Even so, it's more about age and condition of the particular car you're looking at that will determine maintenance cost. Get the latest model and best condition one you can afford. :)

#10 ·
The Sti's gearbox (Depending on year) has a DCCD system and a different gearbox, final drive ratio and Hub/axle setup. Some of the STIs also have intercooler sprayer systems and a few additional electrical components.

Mechanically the engines are very similar and use many of the same parts but sometimes replacement parts a a little more expensive due to "STI Tax" (Basically some places charge a little more for STI specific parts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.