New subaru lots of questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
New subaru lots of questions

Hey guys, my name is matt and im from jersey. I Just bought a brand new 2008 subaru impreza wrx turbo. I love it and i wanna get involved with it, im looking to join the site and donate as well as do subaru meets. Regardless i do have a question

Im looking to buy a intake for my wrx, i want it to produce the most sound since my turbo is relativly quiet. I heard a short ram is the sound im looking for but i know cold air is nice to , get back to me please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
Without a tune you wont really get much out of a intake. Some of them are not good for subies also. The stock intake design is pretty good. If you want to hear your turbo just do the snorkus delete.http://www.scoobymods.com/intake-sil...=&threadid=113
Which intakes do not cause problems with the air/fuel ratio? The only manufacturers of intakes that claim in writing not to cause any ill effects are:
a. TurboXS
b. APS
c. Perrin (based on personal email correspondance with Perrin)
d. K&N Typhoon (based on testing by nhluhr and testing by AaronWRX, both NASIOC members) These tests were performed on an STi and their effect on WRX A/F ratios is untested.
e. Cobb Tuning
f. SPT
Here is a link with some great info on intakes:Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
#3 Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
It is true our subaru's don't really need to have an intake as a first mod, unlike like a speed3 could benefit from one. Personally I have the SPT intake, my wife bought it for me. I have it with the SPT heatshield along with the SPT catback on my 05.

This intake does not cause problems like others will. Others are shaped different and cause problems with the MAF sensor. The intake unlocks the stock sound of the turbo and bov. It sounds great. It has that great suck sound and then splash when you get off the gas. Installing it was a breeze. The instructions were so easy to follow, it even has pictures! Ha, seriously though, it fits really well and SPT did a great job in designing it to fit, function, look great. Also, to answer about a full CAI, it depends where you live. I used to live in Jersey so I know you get snow. You wouldn't in the winter time sucking up all that crap. So I would say you should stay away from that. If you wanted to get an intake, I would fully recommend the SPT for many reasons.

Good luck
#4 Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
I would really start off with some type of EM (engine management) then go from there. Also do a lot of reading and get to know your car before you start throwing parts at it. Another thing is don't go cheap on any parts, you pay for what you get!!!

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#5 Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turboner is an unknown
personally, an intake is useless for 08+ because the engine is already runing close to lean, making the engine run rough( i looked into it for my 09) my friend upped the psi to 20 and adjusted the wastegate, intercooler and dp for a first mod on his 06. i would get an AP if u got that kind of money other than that get a TBE and a pro tune and youll hit around 300hp
#6 Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
really appreciate the responses, thing that sucks for me is that i dont know anything about cars and all that just sounds confusing to me, i am reading alot about my car trying to learn more but i can only understand so much. What type of engine managment? and what is it even, as well if a intake is a bad idea what would be for a first mod? muffler perharps? seems as if any aftermarket part non cosmetic i want to put in my car will mess some type of tuning up.
#7 Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
. i would get an AP if u got that kind of money other than that get a TBE and a pro tune and youll hit around 300hp

^^ to that statment, what is a AP and i have the money for any part, just have not a clue what i need. Pro tuning, im asuming id have to go to a specialty shop for that? or could a regular mechanic do it
#8 Old 02-15-2010, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
Let the research begin.Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
#9 Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
First off, this is a great place to learn. Also, check out NASIOC.com, it will have a ton of infomation for you to soak up.

You couldn't have gotten your car at a better time, Cobb just lowered their prices on their AP (accesport). With that one part it will retune your cars computer and give you so much power. I just got mine last week and I am only at Stage 1 (just the AP) the car feels so much faster, smoother, it puts you back in your seat. So like everyone else is saying if you got the money I would look into it. That is your best first mod, then I would look into an exhaust. Also, if you get the AP soon, you will be able to go to stage 2 easily. Stage 2 is when you have a Downpipe (DP) and a catback exhaust (CBE), resulting in a Turbo back exhaust (TBE). You need to have your car tuned when you go for a TBE. So you get that out of the way when you get the AP.

Congrats on your recent purchase, have fun learning, and you won't be disappointed with the AP check out cobbtuning.com. You will be pleasantly surprised what this little part can do for your car.
#10 Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Just remember Deli_B. The 08+ models do not have a SPT intake to choose from.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
Bummer, I don't know anything about the new ones. oops sorry.