Subaru WRX Forum banner

New STI owner

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Fidrat 
#1 ·
Hello,
I recently bought a 2015 Launch Edition. This is actually the first import car I have ever owned, my other car is a 13 Camaro SS with a lot of motor and rear end mods. This is all new to me. First and foremost, I am so impressed with this car. I am still doing a lot of learning, and have a lot of questions. Right now I am showing 458 miles on the odometer. The clutch is so friggin different than my SS and is taking a little getting used to. My first question, my salesman told me the first thing I would want to do is get it tuned. He mentioned they were all tuned per California guidelines. I have been looking at the cobb accessport and it seems like a nice piece. The pricetag seems a bit high, comparing it to the hp tune I have on my ss. Last night while sitting at a red light, an Audi pulled up next to me.(not sure which model(looked like a A4) the bastard smoked me. to make it worse, he then slowed down at pointed and laughed. So, first and foremost, is the cobb the best money spent at this point? I have a tuner which lives about two hours away from me, but im not sure Im ready to make that commitment. Any input would be appreciated....

#2 ·
Welcome. You made a great choice on your first import. Don't feel bad about the audi. Some of those things are beast and at a pretty hefty price tag as well. Plus he must have been a real douche nozzle to disrespectfully point and laugh.

First thing you want to take into account is warranty and if your prepared to void it. If you are then attaboy! You can get a tune with or without the accessport but I prefer the ap. Not only is it a easy tuning tool but has features like pre loaded tunes made to work with their parts, launch control, flat foot shifting, the ability to switch between maps, datalog, and monitor live parameters without lugging around a laptop and cables. You should keep in mind that almost any performance parts with the exception of a cat-back Will require tuning. I would recommend you getting the ap and flashing the stage 1 tune. After that start collecting aftermarket parts and prepare to install them at the same time as getting a pro tune. What part of Calif are you in? My tuner is out there and has a freshly built dyno cell. I highly recommend him. He is in ridgecrest.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Welcome to the community,

I'm sorry you got the brunt end of the best/worst part of driving a Subaru. Everyone and their mother thinks they have something to prove and you will find a great deal more drivers who want to race a Subaru than most other cars. They feel like they need to test their metal on something that they know is a very fast machine. Cant tell you how many Hondas, Mazdas and Fords want a piece. Even with my mother taking it for a drive there were drivers looking for trouble at every red light.

That said we also have one of the strongest communities to lean on. We all have a special place in our hearts for other Subarus and their drivers.

As far as tuning goes I've said it a thousand time. Please learn how to drive your Subaru first. The STi is a wicked little animal by any measure and there is no training replacement for miles on the odometer. I usually recommend putting a few thousand miles on it stock just so you can get a feel for how it handles, how it likes to be pushed, and where the soft spots are. That way you can compile your own list of "important" upgrades. It all depends on your personality, I'm a canyon driver at heart and a set of sway bars, end links, and bushings made a world of difference for my driving style. I also definitely recommend an access-port, the stage 1 upgrade us usually enough to take care of the soft spots in the OEM tune and it gives you the ability to play around with ECU maps until the cows come home.

If there's anything we can do to help please don't hesitate to ask

Welcome to the community, Hope to see you on the road.

#5 ·
I'd also add that the STi is not a drag car. It's geared so tightly that it can't even reach 60mph in second gear. It's also designed around a heavy and power sucking all wheel drive system. What you get for all that is the ability to turn the steering wheel with excellent results, particularly in conditions not best described as perfectly flat, perfectly dry, perfectly paved tarmac.

Another thing to understand is the STi's acceleration performance depend heavily on how the clutch is used. It's an AWD car and a turbo car both of which mean there's a lot of drag in the system before torque meets the road. The clutch can help by having the engine at a higher RPM before engaging. Increases the work the clutch has to do (shock loading) but increases the RPM's as the car gets going and greatly helping the acceleration times. In other words if you want to drag race an STi you need to launch the hell out of it.

I will conclude that we don't allow bench racing here. It's not about how fast the other guy is. There is always somebody who will spend more on their car, regardless of the platform, and have a much faster car than you. The goal is not to beat somebody else or badmouth one car over another. It's to understand and improve the car you do have because that's what we enjoy.

#6 ·
The goal is not to beat somebody else or badmouth one car over another. It's to understand and improve the car you do have because that's what we enjoy.
Well said sir,

Its not about how fast you go, or how long it takes to go fast. Its about how it makes you feel when the accelerator is on the floor and its just you, and your machine.

#7 ·
Welcome!

I would propose that the "clutch" (re: drivetrain) feels different because you are engaging all 4 wheels at the same time. The drivetrain will not tolerate laziness in the left foot, and the differentials will not absorb laziness like many other 2WD differentials can. You must become equally smooth and precise with your left foot. Don't be discouraged. You will know when you have perfectly engaged the clutch because it will feel like you are being catapulted off the end of a rubber band that has been let go from a stretched position.

As for people who point and laugh at you and/or try to goad you into a demonstration of speed, just remember that they are seeking your approval. Do what you want, but do it without even turning your head towards them.

I am also curious as to where in CA you are!

#8 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to the site and I just wanted to say hello. Just bought my first WRX Impreza TR. I love it. Anyhow it is a completely different veichle compared to my 2012 Dodge Charger. Oh I'm in South Carolina by the way. (^_^) I've seen some pretty sick cars listed on this site too. I thouht I join to learn from the best with me being a newbie an all.

#10 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the input. I am actually in Kentucky, not Cali. My salesman just flat out told me they were all tuned to meet California specs. That's when he added just do something about the tune, its horrible. Now Im showing almost 1k on the odometer, getting used to the clutch a little more. I voided the SS warranty right outta the gate with the cam, not sure if im ready to do that to the sti. I think I will get the recommended mileage from you guys before I do the Accesport. Driving this car is really friggin awesome, but your right even older women seem to want a piece of it. So, for now it has been a daily driver. Adding a few cosmetic parts under the hood. Enjoying it ALOT. I guess I will just have to get use to everyone wanting to race at every stoplight. Thanks to u guys, I enjoy a good forum...seems like u guys are pretty legitimate, and I appreciate that.

#11 ·
Glad to hear your getting the hang of it.

Enjoy your car stock while you can, once the mod bug bites it never stops : )

If you ever find yourself in Cali let us know and we can show you around some of the nicest back canyon drives around.

take care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.