Subaru WRX Forum banner

New to the site???? Ready to post??? Please Read Me First!!!

38K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  Speedy Mike 
#1 · (Edited)
If you're new here take some time to look around and check the site out a little before you submit your first thread or post. This will save you alot of headache when trying to get your question(s) answered.

Here are a few tips on how to get the most out of your experience at WRXTuners.com.

1. Familiarize yourself with the rules and policies of the site: This will save you alot of trouble with knowing what's allowed and what isn't. We try not to be too strict when it comes to things, but if you're aware of what's acceptable and what's not, you're less likely to break the rules and have us on you about it. These are located here.

2. Check out the forum descriptions: These are listed after the forums title. This will help you post in the correct forum and save the moderators from having to move threads to their correct forums. It will also help you get the most info for your particular question.

3. Using the search function: This is a touchy subject simply because it's unacceptable for members to just tell you to "do the search". This is how you avoid all of that. Type specific keywords into the search window. This will let the site work for you, instead of having the longer active members getting on your case for not doing so. Click me to perform a search.

Engine Management: (Cobb AP, UTEC, etc...), type either Cobb AP, or simply AP into the search window. If you want info on the UTEC, type TXS UTEC, or simply UTEC.

Exhaust Systems: (Helix, Cobb, Perrin, Borla, etc...) Type in the perspective company's name. Other keywords that might help you would be TBE, or turbo-back exhaust. CB, or cat-back.

This style of searching goes for any part or mod that you can think of. If it's been done, we more than likely have someone that's done it, or knows someone that has. :D

These are just a couple of examples, but you should get the idea. Another thing that will help you to perform an effective search is to do it in the appropriate forum. You're not going to want to do your search for an exhaust in the handling section, know what I mean? ;)

4. Use descriptive thread titles: Be specific and to the point.

An example of a bad thread title would be: "Newb here, need help". We all know you need some advice, you wouldn't have posted if you didn't.

A better thread title would be something a little more descriptive. More to the point. Something like: "Car runs bad after bov install".

And finally:

5. Type like you have some sense. We're not going to correct you for minor typing errors, but if you're posts/threads are not legible, we will edit them to be so. Please don't be offended, it just helps the members that have been here longer to understand and help you better. This is what we're all here for, to learn and to help one another out.

With all of that out of the way, welcome to the forums and we hope that you enjoy your stay.

See less See more
#5 ·
and take a look at this diagram before asking lots of exhaust questions (also I put it here so we can all find this easily)

and this diagram is for 02-05s... you 06-07 guys don't have a CAT in your up pipe so no need to worry about that one

#11 ·
Hi Mosc, my name is David, I have a 2005 WRX 2.0- Thanks for the exhaust diagram. this car is out of warranty 79k on the mileage. and ready for a few Choice upgrades. the exhaust being the item i need to know as much as possible. I will not be racing the car per- say, but the next time a Mustang Gt wants to dance I want to be dancing with the stars. In your opinion, is this the first step?Thanks in advance

#12 ·
Yep, upgrading the exhaust is usually the first step. You should aim for a basic "Stage 2" setup: aftermarket downpipe + Stage 2 ECU reflash. Look for a decent bellmouth-style downpipe (preferably one with a high-flow catalytic converter). If you choose to upgrade the cat back as well (do this for added looks and sound, not added power - it doesn't really add much power... the stock downpipe is where the real restriction is), you'll have a complete turbo-back exhaust, or tbe. So, if you choose, pick up a cat back that you like the look/sound of and finally, get some type of Stage 2 tune on your car. This can be done via Cobb AccessPORT, tactrix cable & opensource map, or a custom tune from any number of professional speed shops. More info can be found on these topics here: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Edit: also, since your car is a pre-06 model, your up pipe has a catalytic converter in it - which is located just before your turbo. When you start adding power, especially on cars with higher mileage, the cat in your up pipe can break down and send bits into your turbo, sometimes causing catastrophic turbo/engine failure. So for you, upgrading to a catless up pipe is a popular safety mod.

#15 ·
Thanks for this site. I can see much work has gone into it. I'm a BRAND newbie (be gentle :) ) sti owner (2010 SE) converted from 20 years of being a Jeep guy. Know next to nothing about my new rig, but will learn much from the knowledge base here. Just wanted to say hello and give some props to your freshly bookmarked site.

P.S. Can I have some money? If I hang out here too much, I'm going to need lots!! I'm already scheming my customization plan (sigh)!

#17 ·
HEY Im new to the subi but im pretty familiar with turbo cars (hondas), I just bought a 05 sti yesterday and so far I love it, its all stock and Im wanting to do some quick bolt on's. The first thing is exhaust, I was reading on here that the first thing people usually do is the uppipe and down pipe, so im gonna start with that. My question is doing these mods will it need to be tunned? Also iv read about the BOVs and Iv heard two diffrent storys about an aftermarket BOV, is it safe to put one on without any major problems? any info will be appreciated. thanks

#18 ·
You won't need to change the up-pipe in your car. The reason people changed them was the 02-05 WRX's came with a catalytic convertor in the up-pipe. Since yours is an STi it doesn't have one and there fore doesn't need changed out. Keep the factory BPV unless you are planning on making 24+psi of boost. If you are doing exhaust please get a tune, whether it be with a Cobb Accessport or Open source.

#20 ·
Well depends on who is doing the tuning? I use Opensource, but I do all my own tuning as do many others. Cobb is also good, but your looking at several hundreds to get a custom map. Really it's what works best for you.

#25 ·
need help

i owned a 04 wrx and i'm new to stick cars...
my question is my rpm jumps up very high. it goes up as far 5 and 6 just on 1st or 2nd gear. it doesn't do that when i first got it......anything i should worry about or change or get it fixed?......

please help....

thankx

#26 ·
^ Might be the clutch going.

Try this:

At about 15-20mph put the car in 4th.... floor it.... Do the rpms fly up ? If so, it's your clutch

If not, open your own thread. You will get more dedicated responses

#28 ·
whats up everyone?! i recently sold my stock 06 WRX and i regretted it. luckily i found a great deal on co part for a 06 WRX with only 47k original miles on it, NO fram damage just a decent amount of body work needed, plus new bumber and a left fender. plus it has a few aftermarket upgrades like a intake, GPS navigation system, a short shifter, has a few extra gauges on the side of the driver door, im pretty sure its boost gauges but im not sure can someone please school me on that? also it has a exhaust system in witch the muffle is like a 4inch opening. the clutch seems a lot different from my old stock clutch, seems more stiff but VERY firm plus its shorter distance away from the floor (noob i know!).

by the way i got it for 7k off of the auction put a total of $5k in it but i got it all very pro fixed.

anyway, hope to hear from you guys thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.