New and needs urgent advice for 1st Subaru WRX! - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arcticscythe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BritishTutorKSA is an unknown
New and needs urgent advice for 1st Subaru WRX!

Hi, I am glad to join this Forum and hope to buy my very first WRX soon. Just need some real urgent advice.
I am based in KSA. In the city I presently work in there are very few Subaru's but I do intend to move to Jeddah City where there are lots of WRX's but only be found if one spends time there permanent as I hope to. One of the best ways in KSA to find the car you want is to be in the major cities and ask owners directly.
I have found a WRX Sti 1995 with the engine swapped for a 1999 one. I spoke on phone with the owner and he has been buying cars for projects over the last 10 years now at least. He has fixed things in this car and looked after it well. The thing that worries me is that he has hardly used it for a year now and one friend told me that is real bad. I need advice on this. The owner told me he has been fixing it up of late and about to change the ECU Engine Control Unit.

As for myself then I intend to use it for going back and forth to work which is local and shopping around town with a weekend down town cruise once I get neon blue lights inside and underneath. I will travel sometimes with it but with caution by stopping every 1 hour for a 15-20 mins rest as I do with my Ford Mustang 1997 sometimes. I am not happy with my Mustang due to the lack of control on corners that I get as it is an Automatic and as I am new to car details, I now understand that the Engine size and HP ratio is better on Subaru's and so too the control.

In KSA, the petrol is the cheapest in the world at SR 0.5 = $0.13 per litre!
General maintenence and minor fixes are also cheap.
Spare parts are available.
Major repairs and new spare parts are just abit expensive.
I don't mind making minor repairs sometimes as I do intend to keep it for a year while I move to Jeddah and find a much newer and better one there. Maybe I will get it tuned up at a Performance tuning centre perhaps to have some fun.
Here is the link;

Sporty Car: Subaru Impreza WRX / STi - 4WD - Turbo | Subaru Cars for sale in Ar Riyad, Al Rawdhah - Buy Used Subaru in Ar Riyad, Al Rawdhah - Classifieds

and if it doesn't work then please google search it with;

Sporty Subaru Impreza WRX STi 1995 KSA Riyadh bey3.com

It's a green color.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Only thing I can contribute to this is that it says new front tires and good back ones. You need to replace all 4 tires at the same time on a subaru or your risking damage to the differentials.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
I agree decent tires can be had without breaking the bank.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BritishTutorKSA is an unknown
how is that? That one must replace all 4 tires at one time or it would be risky?
Very strange! So if one tire completely goes all 4 must be replaced? First time I heard this for any car. Please clarify.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishTutorKSA View Post
how is that? That one must replace all 4 tires at one time or it would be risky?
Very strange! So if one tire completely goes all 4 must be replaced? First time I heard this for any car. Please clarify.
Subaru's stated tolerances are 1/4" in tire circumference. Any more than that can overheat and damage the differentials. This means that all 4 tires need to be the same make, model (some tires of different models but same make vary more than this brand new), size, and within 2/32" tread depth. Ihat's not that much. If they vary more (meaning 3 tires at 7/32" tread depth plus a new tire w/ 10/32", then you're running that last tire at your own risk.

Different companies have different tolerances. Audi for example states 6/32" tread depth.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Subarus are all wheel drive, to operate correctly the thread needs to remain within 2/32 of an inch. otherwise you will be putting undue strain on your diffs and can cause issues down the road. When one tire blows it can be rough to find the same tire with similar wear but they are available from lots of used tire shops, alternately you can pickup a fresh set of 4 pretty cheap these days.

as for your choice to throw in underglow and neon lights in it I cant get behind you there, to each his own but neon kinda screams honda.

As for the long drives so long as you flush the radiator and use a quality full synthetic you should have no issues running it for extended periods of time. No need to stop and let it rest like the mustang.

If its been sitting for a year you would want to swap out all the fluids, coolant, brake, power steering and oil in particular, i would also siphon the fuel and replace it especially if its that cheap. Sometimes fuel thats been sitting a while can gel up and cause problems. when you have a chance i would probablly do a 90k service on it aswell, check all the belts and swap the trans fluid/diff oil.

Hope that helps
boo-key likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement