Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   New member (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/new-member-45177/)

Wombat 02-23-2014 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I just wanted to say hi. I'm a new WRX owner just bought a brand new 2014 Plasma Blue Pearl WRX. I have been a long time Toyota truck guy owning 4 total. I still own a 1999 4Runner which will be the Mon and Wed ride. I love the car very much so far. I have noticed that Toyota is buying up Fuji stock and starting to work with Subaru so that helped in my decision to buy this car. I have always loved the looks of these cars and from what I seen and read they hold up pretty well too. Now I do beat my trucks up really good. So I'm wondering how hard do you guys beat these cars up? Just so you know how bad I beat trucks up I was able to kill a 90 Toyota pickup with a 22r in less then 70,000 miles. >:D. Also are there any quirks I need to look out for?

06_hawk_eye 02-23-2014 09:54 PM

Welcome man. Gotta love the Toyota I'm a technician at a local dealer. Welcome to Subaru. Did you buy a warrenty with it? If you did you gotta consider am I ready to possible void it? I'd go with a catback first that will not void your warrenty. It then I would by a downpipe and Cobb ap so you can go stage 2. Make sure you take care of your maintance. I change my oil every 2500miles. Pick a good oil as well. Alot of guys use rotella t6 5-40. Ask a bunch of questions on here lots of good guys with great knowledge.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color]

Brockton 02-23-2014 09:55 PM

Welcome to the subaru world.

Some quirks with newer WRX's:

A lot of them develop a squeaky bearing around the clutch area, forget which bearing exactly, but its a re-occurring thing that happens at random milage no matter how many times you lube the bearing. The sedans have a few interior rattles that come from the rear shelf, and various other places. The engines are also pretty noisy, ticking from the valvetrain/injectors and turbo noises sometimes worry new owners but are normal. That's about all I can really think of, but I am sure there are more.
Oh, and changing spark plugs in a subaru is a trickier job than in most other cars.

Not sure if it counts as a quirk but these cars are sensitive to mods that change the airflow around the turbo, so intakes and downpipes need to be tuned for or your car is going to lean out and fall on its face.

The tranny's on these cars are robust but not bullet proof, and they are as dependable as the person driving them: do the right maintenance at the right time and it should last you quite awhile.

Wombat 02-24-2014 12:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have the free maintenance and a warranty for 7yr 75,000. This was also something they are trying out in my state of AZ where this includes everything like tires, dents, paint, ripped seats, and just about everything else that could go wrong with a car. The only thing I plan on doing is the stage 1 within a year or so. Thanks for the tip on the tranny I'll make sure not to power shift.:o

Brockton 02-24-2014 03:55 AM

The cobb ap has a flat foot shifting function that makes it relatively safe to do. I still wouldn't trust it though.

boo-key 02-24-2014 05:42 AM

No hard launches or clutch dumps either. I also like Toyota but at the same time wish subaru would stop selling out to them. Subaru's are unique to any other Japanese platform and I feel that they will loose that uniqueness if they continue to merge.

Tyler: your a tech at a dealer! Surely you see how warranty is spelled everyday. :p Just busting your balls man.

sleepr 02-24-2014 07:46 PM

Welcome!

arcticscythe 02-24-2014 08:58 PM

Welcome, Love the front end on that Toyota, that bar looks beautiful.

The 14 is a great platform, that said I gotta bring up the sloppy suspension, the factory anti-sway bars are really thin. upgraded sway-bars help a great deal and make the car feel like a rally inspired car should. The stock ECU map is also a bit rich on the bottom and lean up top, if your beating on it that could be a dangerous combo. A tune would resolve that but as a daily driver they run pretty good from the factory.

welcome again to the Subaru community and make sure you wave when you see another WRX on the road ; )

14WRX 02-24-2014 11:58 PM

Welcome great choice! I have had my 14 since December and it has been a great car. I switched over to amsoil at 1000 miles. This is my first subaru and it's been a great daily driver. I am trying to stay away from engine mods as long as I can. I know a Cobb V3 is in the future.

Brockton 02-25-2014 01:42 AM

Speaking of oil, Rotella T6 is very popular amongst subaru owners.

Aggro Crag 02-25-2014 02:44 AM

hello and welcome.

Scotte549 02-25-2014 07:49 PM

Gday mate and welcome. Is that an ARB bullbar on front of the pick up

Wombat 02-27-2014 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad you all like my ARB bullbar I've had it on that truck since 2003 I also added the front hood scoop too. What do you guy think are the best mods to the WRX for the car not the engine?

PROImportTuners 02-27-2014 08:16 PM

Swaybars!!

Bushings!!

Wheels/Tires/Good alignment/rear Camber kit

The chassis is decent but has a tendency to understeer. A few stiffening mods and a good alignment will help tremendously.